Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #662 of 7,695
  Dont suppose there is a poor mans headphone that are similar to these?
biggrin.gif

Koss PortaPro? :p

Sorry, joking aside, not sonically the same, but, just like the 99 Classics, the KEF Audio M500 also have a soulful nature and awesome design. Check them out!

Btw, the 99 Classics are not worth $309.00. They are worth around $500.00 or higher.
I really cannot believe they cost so little to the performance that they deliver!

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #663 of 7,695
  Dont suppose there is a poor mans headphone that are similar to these?
biggrin.gif

I graduated from an AudioTechnica Ath-m50x set, and find the sound to be similar. Amazon usually has those for sale at about 1/3rd the price of the Meze's. What Meze brings to my table is better comfort and MUCH lighter weight (10oz. vs. 2 lbs). After about an hour with the 50s it felt like I was balancing a rock on my head, and if I sneezed the whole thing would fly off my head and land with a clunk on my desk. But the sound was (IMO) comparable.

In other words, while the Meze DOES sound better than the 50s, it doesn't sound 3x better. It *is*, however, 3x more comfortable, and I think overall they bring 3x the value of the 50s.

As always, IMO.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #664 of 7,695

I graduated from an AudioTechnica Ath-m50x set, and find the sound to be similar. Amazon usually has those for sale at about 1/3rd the price of the Meze's. What Meze brings to my table is better comfort and MUCH lighter weight (10oz. vs. 2 lbs). After about an hour with the 50s it felt like I was balancing a rock on my head, and if I sneezed the whole thing would fly off my head and land with a clunk on my desk. But the sound was (IMO) comparable.

In other words, while the Meze DOES sound better than the 50s, it doesn't sound 3x better. It *is*, however, 3x more comfortable, and I think overall they bring 3x the value of the 50s.

As always, IMO.

Very good. I was just curious is all.

I was actually of thinking of doing the opposite and spending a little more and getting the TH-X00s. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #665 of 7,695
I'm sorry, I got to post again some more early impressions (actually, I am not sorry DEAL WITH IT!):

First up, my Audeze EL-8 Titanium (part of the 2016 EL-8 line) with my brand new Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz (22AWG) 4-Wire balanced cable (a Complement4 cable in Molecule uniform) is the BEST headphone combination I currently own.

No other headphones I own beat it.

That being said, the Meze Headphones 99 Classics (Walnut Silver) is the SECOND BEST headphones that I have ever had the pleasure of hearing.
They beat my AKG K 712 (with a DHC Prototype Molecule Copper cable) and Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's (with DHC Molecule SP Symbiote Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable), each of which are detail monsters but neither have the organic richness of the EL-8 Ti with Elite 22 cable, nor are they as musical as the Classics 99.

The EL-8 Ti with Elite 22 cable are a musical transparent window to my music with great thwacking, accurate bass.
The 99 Classics are the fun, clear little brother, but with some treble rolled off and less bass thwacks, yet beautiful nonetheless.

Both the EL-8 Ti and 99 Classics present the entire music frequency as if from one source, one voice. That is utterly amazing.

Not since the KEF Audio M500 or Audeze EL-8 Titanium have I been so moved by sonic awesomness.

This is not bandwagging, bragging, hype, etc. If these were bad I would say it, I would tell Lorand and @MezeTeam. However, sonically, there is so little to fault that I can't in good conscious be truthfully critical. Yes, the treble could be extended, and the bass a tad more hard-hitting, but the actual presentation that the 99 Classics produce is so gobsmackingly good, I don't care. THIS IS MUSIC and it sounds great.

I am being deadly serious, Meze's 99 Classics are something else. They are a reset on what headphones should sound like, and these are dynamic drivers!
They are polite but the right kind of polite. Everyday listening blissful headphones.
That is the best description of the 99 Classics that I can think off.

I am so freaking lucky to own the Audeze EL-8 Titanium and Meze Headphones 99 Classics (Walnut Silver). <3

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #666 of 7,695
Some pics I took earlier and posted on Twitter, the Meze Headphones 99 Classic Walnut Silver with my Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player in medium gain, single-ended mode:

I totally danced my ass off to this! :D

That's right @MezeTeam, you made headphones to dance to; bravo!

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #667 of 7,695
Jun 22, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #668 of 7,695
Just wondering. From what little I've read, they are just starting to transfer to the new pads. Is there anyway to know which you will get?

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #669 of 7,695

Those have to be the new larger pads, yes?

beerchug.gif

Just wondering. From what little I've read, they are just starting to transfer to the new pads. Is there anyway to know which you will get?

I've just contacted my @MezeTeam contact on FB Messenger and I will let you know guys.

There's something else I want to post, once I confirm from source, if there were two versions of the 99 Classics available.

Bear with me...

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #670 of 7,695

I've just contacted my @MezeTeam contact on FB Messenger and I will let you know guys.

There's something else I want to post, once I confirm from source, if there were two versions of the 99 Classics available.

Bear with me...

Thanks :) Also curious if they will be available to be sold separately with instructions on how to replace the original pads. I'm curious enough about the potential improvement to comfort and impact on sound to try these out. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #671 of 7,695

Thanks :) Also curious if they will be available to be sold separately with instructions on how to replace the original pads. I'm curious enough about the potential improvement to comfort and impact on sound to try these out. 

I'm still waiting back on a reply (time-zones suck).

Regarding changing earpads, that's easy on the Meze 99 Classics. On yours take the earpad off and you'll see how easy it is to remove and put back on. EVERY HEADPHONE MAKER should learn from this, though I do also like AKG's K series twist-and-lock earpad system too.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #672 of 7,695
Ok, seriously @MezeTeam, you need to start answering questions. What magic did you use, secret tech, unobtanium materials, eh?

There is NO ******* WAY these headphones have this silky, coherent sound and joyful bass!!! NO BLOODY WAY, not at this price.

So, how did you guys do it, what the **** is going on, how do the 99 Classics sound THIS ****** GOOD!!!!

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!!!!

For everyone else, don't believe me?

Listen to THIS TRACK on your Meze Headphones 99 Classics (yes, that includes you too @mikemercer) and tell me that your hearing that bass right. NO HEADPHONE should sound THIS GOOD at THIS PRICE; we're talking about proper high-end sound here, seriously...

I don't get it...so confused...need to listen some more... <3

Edit: forgot to add my pic, enjoy!

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #674 of 7,695
  Ok, seriously @MezeTeam , you need to start answering questions. What magic did you use, secret tech, unobtanium materials, eh?

There is NO ******* WAY these headphones have this silky, coherent sound and joyful bass!!! NO BLOODY WAY, not at this price.

So, how did you guys do it, what the **** is going on, how do the 99 Classics sound THIS ****** GOOD!!!!

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!!!!

For everyone else, don't believe me?

Listen to THIS TRACK on your Meze Headphones 99 Classics (yes, that includes you too @mikemercer) and tell me that your hearing that bass right. NO HEADPHONE should sound THIS GOOD at THIS PRICE; we're talking about proper high-end sound here, seriously...

I don't get it...so confused...need to listen to more... <3

Edit: forgot to add my pic, enjoy!

Loved this on my Meze's then listened again on my Sony MDR-1A's, mind blown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back