Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #7,112 of 7,697
The right question is, what is the budget that can be dedicated to make them sing? No part of the chain should be underestimated, especially not the DAC.
Modern DACs have come a long way and most are transparent to the ear. Get a decent amp and a little decent DAC and you’ll be set.
This DAC will more than suffice to start with.

TOPPING D10s DAC Mini USB DAC XMOS XU208 ES9038Q2M DSD256 PCM 384kHz Hi-Res Audio Desktop Audio Decoder (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CV1DSX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZWTNM60E7496XPWJHB79
These days, spend the most on Headphones and amp - not the DAC. Until you get hardcore.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #7,113 of 7,697
Well I tried around 8 DAC options, mostly around $200-$300 and jumping to RME ADI-2 was a shocking step up, so in my experience it does matter and I won't even stress how much.

But first of all, it's a question of possibilities for each of us. If there are big limitations, then $100 DAC is always some option. But then just don't blame 99's to not play wonderfully, cause they'll play at <40% of their full potential.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #7,114 of 7,697
The right question is, what is the budget that can be dedicated to make them sing? No part of the chain should be underestimated, especially not the DAC.
Modern DACs have come a long way and most are transparent to the ear. Get a decent amp and a little decent DAC and you’ll be set.
This DAC will more than suffice to start with.

TOPPING D10s DAC Mini USB DAC XMOS XU208 ES9038Q2M DSD256 PCM 384kHz Hi-Res Audio Desktop Audio Decoder (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CV1DSX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZWTNM60E7496XPWJHB79
These days, spend the most on Headphones and amp - not the DAC. Until you get hardcore.
When I bought my Teaks, my thought was to put in the money into the headphones, so I bought a relatively cheap DAC and amp to go with them and it worked well enough for me. Perhaps upgrading the other equipment will make a big difference with the 99's.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #7,116 of 7,697
Hello, is there anyone who could please help me with some advice?

Which is a better headphone and for which reasons?

The Meze 99 Classic or the Master & Dynamic MH40 Wired?

Are there any music genres they're particularly good for? And any they're bad for?

Also, how much better is the Focal Elegia to both, and in which areas of sound quality, comfort and fit?

Are any of the 3 not suitable for 10 hours a day use? Especially for someone wearing thick plastic glasses

Like, will wearing glasses change the sound in a bad way? And can that be EQ'd back?

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #7,117 of 7,697
I also own the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. What was the major step up for you that you could hear with it? Are you speaking of the built in amp that you could hear? Or are you speaking of the DSP?

I have owned tons in recent times, and I assure you, a less expensive DAC will NOT prevent your M99cs from opening up properly as long as you have a proper amp.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #7,118 of 7,697
Well for me it's so obviously playing better in all areas I can think of. But you know, it's always system dependant, so YMMV. Perhaps something in my system wasn't able to get on well with the other DACs.. Or maybe you're not getting everything out of ADI-2. Who knows, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle :) All I know is that I wasn't nearly as happy as I'm now with this piece of gear from RME.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #7,119 of 7,697
Mar 21, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #7,120 of 7,697
I was happy with RME ADI-2 DAC until got the Burson Soloist 3X Performance headphone amp. Always thought hat RME's amp section is good but not exactly a pinnacle of head-fi gear. All my headphones sound now so much better, including the 99 Classics. Now I'm looking at replacing my DAC and have so far narrowed down to Denafrips Ares II and Gustard X26 Pro. The Burson head amp is magic and I'm sure would be a great addition to any DAC.

My advice is to sort out your headphones first and foremost, then the right amplification for them and the DAC, while important, it is nowhere near as influential on sound quality and enjoyment as the first two.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #7,121 of 7,697
I was happy with RME ADI-2 DAC until got the Burson Soloist 3X Performance headphone amp. Always thought hat RME's amp section is good but not exactly a pinnacle of head-fi gear. All my headphones sound now so much better, including the 99 Classics. Now I'm looking at replacing my DAC and have so far narrowed down to Denafrips Ares II and Gustard X26 Pro. The Burson head amp is magic and I'm sure would be a great addition to any DAC.
I was in the same boat. The RME was nice but the amp was nothing to write home about. I wanted to change it up and was looking for an r2r DAC. I was looking at the Denafrips Ares II as well and ended up getting the Audio-GD R28. I couldn’t be happier. I also picked up an su-9 to supplement.
I had an OG Burson soloist that was built like a tank, but recently sold it.
You have good taste, lol.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #7,124 of 7,697
Today I did my review of 99 Classics. Sorry for it being in Finnish. (I thought to share it here in case someone from Finland is reading this thread.)

Does anyone know for how long the balanced cable has been out of stock at EU store? https://mezeaudio.eu/collections/accessories/products/99series2-5-balanced-cable

After looking at the cheap cables it seems that Meze's cable is the safest option for $49.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #7,125 of 7,697
I own a pair of the Meze 99 classics as well (bought in December 2018, so I assume I have the larger ear pads). I also bought a balanced cable to try with the FiiO Q1 Mark II but it didn’t make much of a difference to me compared to the stock cable and no use of a DAC at all (of course I tried several high-res files). So I returned the FiiO in the end. However I am thinking about enhancing my experience a bit now. From what I learned there is a possibility to upgrade the cable (original silver upgrade cable by Meze, which is supposed to enhance or balance the sound a lot) and/or change the ear pads to the smaller originals from Meze or the Brainwavz. What would you suggest? Start with the upgrade cable or going all in with the new cable plus the Brainwavz ear pads? I must add that I listen to music with my iPhone most of the time (2/3 256kbps streams from Apple Music and 1/3 high-res) where there is no Poweramp EQ, only in stock non-customisable EQ settings which also only apply to Apple Music and hence the sound of Ultra HD tracks from e.g. Amazon Music HD cannot be tweaked with EQ settings. Thanks for any advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back