Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #6,496 of 7,704
I found these really good. I was skeptical at first because i don't believe cables make that much difference, but these are just much nicer cables in every regard.
The 2.5mm or 3.5?

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #6,497 of 7,704
Right on. I just got the A&K SR25 this afternoon. Listened briefly with the 99 Classics plugged with the standard single ended cable. Like you, I really like the 99 Classics and first impression on the A&K SR25 is very good. The silver balanced cable arrives tomorrow night so I'll report tomorrow or on Monday how they compare.

What's your thoughts on the sound with the balanced cable? I have them with the SR25 and i find the sound simply amazing. I can't find anything to come close - up to twice the price.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #6,498 of 7,704
Good question, I ended up getting two 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters. One is 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced, and the other is 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm SE. I got them both since I wanted to use my headphones on other gear that only has 3.5mm SE as well. This also allowed me to see what had more affect to the sound, whether it was the balanced output or the cable. For the IFI nano I do notice a difference with the balanced adapter, the sound is a little cleaner and more detailed over the SE. That being said I will say the upgraded silver cable gave the 99s the biggest improvement over the balanced output. It just puts these headphones in another league for me. Between the tightened up bass and improved clarity I feel the silver cables are worth the investment.

I completely agree - a great investment
The 2.5mm or 3.5?

Meze 2.5mm.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #6,499 of 7,704
I completely agree - a great investment

Meze 2.5mm.
I'm thinking of buying the 3.5mm version or not. All my devices are 3.5mm except my Fiio K5 Pro which has a 6.3mm input.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #6,500 of 7,704
Change the pads for Brainwavz - much nicer; more comfortable and more controlled bass.
I have had Brainwavz pads on order for over 3 months now with no indication when they intend to fulfill the order. I just sent them a request to cancel my order and issue a refund. However, they continue to send me their 30% off sale. Kind of scummy considering they take our cash and have no idea when or if they can fill orders.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #6,501 of 7,704
Ah that one, I had no idea I got the totally wrong one.

What about the 3.5mm version of that one you linked? The same as the 2.5mm to use or not? I have the regular 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter.

The silver upgrade comes in various ends - 2.5Mm balanced, 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm. So it depends on your DAP or what do you intend to jack it into.

I use the 3.5mm SE. This is a significant upgrade from the stock original. However do note that you lose your mic as the silver doesn’t have it.

With this cable, your Meze 99 practically performs like any other $700+ cans out there, hence I believe it’s really worth the investment for such.

The cables are really nice too.

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #6,502 of 7,704
The silver upgrade comes in various ends - 2.5Mm balanced, 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm. So it depends on your DAP or what do you intend to jack it into.

I use the 3.5mm SE. This is a significant upgrade from the stock original. However do note that you lose your mic as the silver doesn’t have it.

With this cable, your Meze 99 practically performs like any other $700+ cans out there, hence I believe it’s really worth the investment for such.

The cables are really nice too.
Thanks, I needed a confirmation, and I couldn't care less about the mic anyway. I can only use the 3.5mm. Will I lose sound quality because of 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter?

I also have the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and T5p.2 to use it too.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #6,503 of 7,704
Thanks, I needed a confirmation, and I couldn't care less about the mic anyway. I can only use the 3.5mm. Will I lose sound quality because of 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter?

I also have the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and T5p.2 to use it too.

That I cannot advise as I don’t use an adapter. But from what I was advised, it’s more pertaining to stress on your DAP.

I guess someone else has to advise on it

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #6,504 of 7,704
That I cannot advise as I don’t use an adapter. But from what I was advised, it’s more pertaining to stress on your DAP.

I guess someone else has to advise on it
I don't have a DAP, only DAC/AMP which is the Fiio K5 Pro with the included adapter :p

Alright, I gotta wait before I make the purchase.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #6,506 of 7,704
Sorry to be the downer but I'll challenge this one a bit. No matter the cable, the 99C's aren't going to be able to match most headphones in the higher price brackets. The $400-$700 usd market is fairly competitive now, with a lot of high quality offerings. Only reason I challenge this is that there were a lot of early posts in this thread claiming the same, which can give some new buyers a false sense of what they are getting. No doubt the 99C's are great for their price point though. That said, about the balanced cables:
  • Going from single ended to balanced with the Meze's will improve the sound substantially in most cases. The exception would be if your DAP/AMP provides 500mW of power single ended, in which you probably won't see much of a benefit. Most of the benefit of balanced is getting additional power to get the headphones to give it enough dynamic headroom to sound it's best. The exact power needed to max out the 99C's is debatable as it depends on how loud you listen. You will max out the potential somewhere between 50mW and 500mW, but at 500mW it's certain you are getting more than enough power.
  • The SPC Meze balanced cable will also make the 99C's sound a bit better in single ended if you are looking for additional details and tighter bass. The silver plating takes a little out of the mids where the 99C's can spare it, and adds more perceived clarity and bass definition where the 99C's do need that extra definition. Depending on tastes, I think most people would appreciate this change with their 99C's.
Will I lose sound quality because of 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter?

Yes, but depending on the adapter the change can be small. Most adapters impart a small loss in quality that is noticeable, but usually subtle. I still prefer my Meze balanced cable with a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter (single ended) compared to the stock cable though.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #6,507 of 7,704
I don't have a DAP, only DAC/AMP which is the Fiio K5 Pro with the included adapter :p

Alright, I gotta wait before I make the purchase.
I highly doubt you will be able to hear any difference using a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter unless it is very poorly made.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #6,508 of 7,704
I highly doubt you will be able to hear any difference using a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter unless it is very poorly made.
You might be right. I also have the adapters from Beyerdynamic and of course, the one included with the Meze 99C.

It's just my common sense interfering it :p I do appreciate great sound and if the silver plated upgrade cable will help improve, then I'll buy it.
I also got my Amiron Home and T5p.2 to use the cable too.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #6,509 of 7,704
You might be right. I also have the adapters from Beyerdynamic and of course, the one included with the Meze 99C.

It's just my common sense interfering it :p I do appreciate great sound and if the silver plated upgrade cable will help improve, then I'll buy it.
I also got my Amiron Home and T5p.2 to use the cable too.
If you are only going to use this cable on the K5 Pro amp then you could always re-terminate it with a 6.35mm TRS, either DIY or have a tech do it.

The rhodium plated Eidolic and Furutech plugs are very nice.
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/6-35mm-stereo-jacks

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #6,510 of 7,704
If you are only going to use this cable on the K5 Pro amp then you could always re-terminate it with a 6.35mm TRS, either DIY or have a tech do it.

The rhodium plated Eidolic and Furutech plugs are very nice.
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/6-35mm-stereo-jacks
No, I doubt I'll use it only for my K5 Pro. My intention is to use it on anything. Being limited to one jack is pretty much frustrating and also a waste too.

But thanks for those terms, might aswell search for rhodium and futurtech adapters.

-edit-
https://audioequip.com/product/furu...female-1-8-3-5mm-adapter-plug-headphone-jack/

-edit2-
Apparently there is a webstore here selling the Futurtech adapters. I guess that solves it :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back