Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #5,194 of 7,702
If i am even remotely impressed with the ifi xdsd, i will give you money to buy the ifi xdsd, that is if it is even worth it and or remotely impressed with it.

Yes i decided to buy, the temptation was big after reading all the reviews and the like yeah.

I shall see tomorrow

Edit,

Yea money, i would give you that via paypal i think, like giving you money to afford it your self as you say things like this is very expensive for you, so i can do that to save your self some money.

About £200 or $266 usd is what i have in mind and if i were to do that it would be next month when i get paid, because i only get about £550 a month from government welfare or benefits as it is called in England so it is free money so yea i would give you some.

I don't mind what you spend it on, even if it is not the xdsd so i am cool with that.

All i need is your pay pal email so nothing is at risk here so i can send it there.

Can you give me a paypal email address so i can send you 1p just to see if it works?

Dan.
how about helping a person isolated in the middle of the pacific ocean where the nearest decent audio store is a few thousand miles away :beerchug:. Kidding aside is the government welfare like social security here in the US?

I have to agree with @Shane D that the Meze 99 didn't seem to improve/scale much with better gear from my limited time with them but then I didn't really do much testing with high end gear since I am looking for a portable headphone that will sound great out of my phone or cheap DAP (Fiio X3 and X3ii). I only mid level higher end amps I tried the Meze 99 on were one friends DarkStar and WA22 and another friends MicroZOTL2, HA501 and Icon HP-8 mk2 and to me and the owners of the amp the Meze 99 didn't seem to get better sounding over a Fiio X7.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #5,195 of 7,702
how about helping a person isolated in the middle of the pacific ocean where the nearest decent audio store is a few thousand miles away :beerchug:. Kidding aside is the government welfare like social security here in the US?

I have to agree with @Shane D that the Meze 99 didn't seem to improve/scale much with better gear from my limited time with them but then I didn't really do much testing with high end gear since I am looking for a portable headphone that will sound great out of my phone or cheap DAP (Fiio X3 and X3ii). I only mid level higher end amps I tried the Meze 99 on were one friends DarkStar and WA22 and another friends MicroZOTL2, HA501 and Icon HP-8 mk2 and to me and the owners of the amp the Meze 99 didn't seem to get better sounding over a Fiio X7.
But fiio x7 I think is also a very good DAP, and can amp meze 99 classics easy

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #5,196 of 7,702

The only difference i can tell and have googled social security, social security is like a pension here in the uk, where you work over a certain time and varying on job to see if your entitled to a pension, and when you retired the pension kicks in i think well yea i don't know i think you got to contact the pension office.

What i am on is DWP EESA and DWP PIP as i cannot work and have mental health issues which is why i am on that as shown in my bank statement.

Dan.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #5,197 of 7,702
But fiio x7 I think is also a very good DAP, and can amp meze 99 classics easy
The original X7 wasn't that great a DAP with the original amp module that my friend has versus the new X7mk2 which has a better DAC section along with a much better standard amp module which also has balanced output capability. For me my old X3 with its Wolfson DAC chip sounds better than my friends original X7 with the headphones that I tend to use with it: HD700, Grado RS2e, Ypsilon R1 and EL-8 open.

@lltfdaniel, thanks for the info and sorry for your health issues, hope its something that can be cured and you get back to good health.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #5,198 of 7,702
The original X7 wasn't that great a DAP with the original amp module that my friend has versus the new X7mk2 which has a better DAC section along with a much better standard amp module which also has balanced output capability. For me my old X3 with its Wolfson DAC chip sounds better than my friends original X7 with the headphones that I tend to use with it: HD700, Grado RS2e, Ypsilon R1 and EL-8 open.

@lltfdaniel, thanks for the info and sorry for your health issues, hope its something that can be cured and you get back to good health.

Thanks David much appreciated.

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #5,199 of 7,702
Right well i now have my ifi xdsd hooked up.

First impression well it has very nice synergy and i agree with the meze classic 99.

Secondly the device is small enough to fit in your pocket the device looks smaller when compared to this photo.

53857841_10157116329177375_796995271274790912_o.jpg

Sounds clear and sounds powerful and i have both 3d sound and the Xbass both on.

First off i thought the x bass function would just be a simple bass boost but not exactly that is what i am hearing.

Well from what i am hearing i would recommend this device pairs nicely with the classic 99's.

I need more time to judge this xDSD device.

Thanks for recommending this device.

The bass bloat seems to have decreased with the xDSD which is nice because the bass sounds much more tighter.

When compared to the PRO-JECT HEAD BOX S2 DIGITAL that i have, there is a definite difference in the way the ifi xDSD sounds because there is a sonic improvement.

Dan.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #5,200 of 7,702

First impression well it has very nice synergy and i agree with the meze classic 99.

Secondly the device is small enough to fit in your pocket the device looks smaller when compared to this photo.

Sounds clear and sounds powerful and i have both 3d sound and the Xbass both on.

First off i thought the x bass function would just be a simple bass boost but not exactly that is what i am hearing.

Well from what i am hearing i would recommend this device pairs nicely with the classic 99's.

The bass bloat seems to have decreased with the xDSD which is nice because the bass sounds much more tighter.

When compared to the PRO-JECT HEAD BOX S2 DIGITAL that i have, there is a definite difference in the way the ifi xDSD sounds because there is a sonic improvement.

Dan.

Looks pretty cool! They have the best implementation of Bass Boost, IMO. Also, 3D can do some interesting things depending on the headphone.

Shane D

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #5,201 of 7,702
Looks pretty cool! They have the best implementation of Bass Boost, IMO. Also, 3D can do some interesting things depending on the headphone.

Shane D

I agree i thought 3d sound would sound exactly like the haircut 3d sound demo >

It doesn't thus it does not colour the sound which is nice but you can tell the difference in sound though.

Well worth the money it sounds more liquid.

Dan.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #5,202 of 7,702

Dan.
Wow, cool! Great device for meze 99 classics.
Does 3d feature give some cool improvements to sound?

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #5,203 of 7,702
I agree i thought 3d sound would sound exactly like the haircut 3d sound demo

It doesn't thus it does not colour the sound which is nice but you can tell the difference in sound though.

Well worth the money it sounds more liquid.

Dan.

Those two options can do different things to different headphones. If you have a collection or are building a collection you will find an iFi product very interesting. An iFi amp is the only piece of audio kit that I have sold and then tried to re-buy, but my demo piece was DOA.

I don't find that the 99's need much help at all, but your toy will do wonderful things for other headphones you own or will add.

Shane D

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #5,204 of 7,702
Wow, cool! Great device for meze 99 classics.
Does 3d feature give some cool improvements to sound?

Yes the person who recommended the ifi Xdsd for the meze classic 99 had it right and i doubted that before i had the ifi xdsd.

@Shane D varying on what you run the headphones on it won't affect the sound signature and yes your right they are easy to power/drive.

I like the looks of the ifi xdsd and sounds nice with the 99 classics nice bit of professional gear this.

There are subtle changes to the sound when you have it on 3d sound and you will notice, the bass function is nice as has been said by Shane D who knows this device better then i.

Yes the ifi xdsd sounds better when compared to my PRO-JECT HEAD BOX S2 DIGITAL.

:).

This will give you an idea of how small the ifi xdsd is below.

54257410_10157116446212375_4234751897459752960_o.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #5,205 of 7,702
Yes the person who recommended the ifi Xdsd for the meze classic 99 had it right and i doubted that before i had the ifi xdsd.

@Shane D varying on what you run the headphones on it won't affect the sound signature and yes your right they are easy to power/drive.

I like the looks of the ifi xdsd and sounds nice with the 99 classics nice bit of professional gear this.

There are subtle changes to the sound when you have it on 3d sound and you will notice, the bass function is nice as has been said by Shane D who knows this device better then i.

Yes the ifi xdsd sounds better when compared to my PRO-JECT HEAD BOX S2 DIGITAL.

:).

This will give you an idea of how small the ifi xdsd is below.

54257410_10157116446212375_4234751897459752960_o.jpg

Dan.

Just to clarify, I don't know your device at all. I used to own an iFi MICRO iCann Pro SE amp. I think I wrote that right. Too damn complicated for a name.

It had 4.1 watts of power and the two fun settings. I didn't find the stock sound very interesting but there was gobs of power and the 3D and bass settings were a hoot. On the flip side I didn't like not having an on/off button and it was SUPER fussy on power sources. You couldn't just plug it in anywhere.

Shane D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back