Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #3,616 of 7,703
From what a lot of my friends are saying, it is not the raw power that matters, but the control and authority something has. There are many specifications of an amp that change the sound besides the raw power, like the slew rate and the power rails. A somewhat weaker power wise amp can sound extremely good and controlled. There are inexpensive amps that have a lot of power, like for example, FiiO K5.

Absolutely correct! I have been saying this here in the forums for years, probably here a few times. It's not the "push", it's the "grip" that matters.

:metal::sunglasses:

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #3,617 of 7,703
From what a lot of my friends are saying, it is not the raw power that matters, but the control and authority something has. There are many specifications of an amp that change the sound besides the raw power, like the slew rate and the power rails. A somewhat weaker power wise amp can sound extremely good and controlled. There are inexpensive amps that have a lot of power, like for example, FiiO K5.
You are correct but low power also means it won't work well at all with high impedance headphones or planars. Not saying its not a good amp, just saying it lacks power to drive most things that are currently popular in the market.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #3,618 of 7,703
You are correct but low power also means it won't work well at all with high impedance headphones or planars. Not saying its not a good amp, just saying it lacks power to drive most things that are currently popular in the market.

Popular in market (?)

Hard to drive (?)

I'd wait to hear it before making any assumption about that. Loudness alone, it should get most headphones to ear bleeding levels, no?

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #3,619 of 7,703
Popular in market (?)

Hard to drive (?)

I'd wait to hear it before making any assumption about that. Loudness alone, it should get most headphones to ear bleeding levels, no?
Loudness does not equal well-driven. I can drive AFCs out of my phone to a listenable level. 13ohm impedance. However, there is ZERO bass response because my phone lacks the amplification. Like I said, not denying low amplification units can't sound good, they just won't drive 300 ohm cans or even 45 ohm HE-560s well.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #3,620 of 7,703
I was just going to say in a few words "synergy is key".. the specs could be the best in its class however synergy is like magic! and doesn't always have to be entirely dependent on specs.

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #3,621 of 7,703
Hey everyone !

I'm planning to buy a pair of Meze Classics soon as they seem to be on the top of a lot of people's lists as good out of the box closed headphones. However I heard that the recent pad change modified the sound signature very significantly, making the headphones more bass oriented, can anyone attest to this ? How strong of a shift is it in the sound signature of the headphones ?

Thank you for your help!

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,622 of 7,703
Have you tried the original? They were bright, had good bass but lacked low subs. The new pads version have similar great highs and mids, more and better sub bass - but there is more higher bass and mid bass. Meze 99 Neo is similar, slightly less bass and treble, and more lively midrange. What headphones that you've heard do you like as far as how well they get you to the sound you want?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3,623 of 7,703
This would be my first dive into full headphones territory!:smile_phones:
I've only been an in-ear headphone user, having owned 200~/300~$ Westone's and Shure, but I'm sticking to the Icarus III from Trinity Audio these days since it's a very well rounded sound, at least to me.
So did they change the driver in any way from the original to the current ones? Or would switching the pads solve this?

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3,624 of 7,703
I bought the very first Meze 99 classics with the small pads and got sent the bigger pads once available, it does not change the sound much at all they still sound great

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,625 of 7,703
So did they change the driver in any way from the original to the current ones? Or would switching the pads solve this?
I bought the very first Meze 99 classics with the small pads and got sent the bigger pads once available, it does not change the sound much at all they still sound great

Yes, after the pads break in. Fresh out of the box the new pads do make the 99Cs sound way too bassy and the treble a touch too airy (by comparison) but after they soften up everything falls back into place, just with added comfort. The only thing that does not change after break-in would be the expanded sound stage, which is fantastic!

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #3,627 of 7,703
Yes, after the pads break in. Fresh out of the box the new pads do make the 99Cs sound way too bassy and the treble a touch too airy (by comparison) but after they soften up everything falls back into place, just with added comfort. The only thing that does not change after break-in would be the expanded sound stage, which is fantastic!

I also feel the same, i think i've said this somewhere though..

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #3,628 of 7,703
I guess we all hear differently. The first version Classic I tried had great mids and highs, slightly warm low mids and mid bass and rolled off in the lowest subs (under 50 hz). The new Classic with new pads was similar except more mid bass and sub bass. It's possible the breaking in of pads could reduce mid bass, but I would hope it doesn't affect sub bass, you don't want that 30 hz roll off. I'd later tried the Meze Neo and liked its sound better (a bit less highs, and mid bass, similar subs). The mids are less dry and have a bit more echo due to the plastic I think, but I've gotten used to it. I had the stock pads in the trial that went around, and on the new pair I later bought. My ears touched the drivers. I got a brand new pair that seemed thicker, might just be variance in how they are made, those worked the best for me. Still more mid bass than purists will like, but I lean toward a warmer sound so I'm ok with it. I actually like that they barely ever, if at all, have my ears touching the inside driver.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #3,629 of 7,703
Loudness does not equal well-driven. I can drive AFCs out of my phone to a listenable level. 13ohm impedance. However, there is ZERO bass response because my phone lacks the amplification. Like I said, not denying low amplification units can't sound good, they just won't drive 300 ohm cans or even 45 ohm HE-560s well.

I agree with this. That said, I expect those Pro-Ject amps have plenty of power to drive the Meze's.... HD6XX, probably not.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #3,630 of 7,703
Got the ATH-MSR7 pads and i must say the sub bass disappears and this become a reference style balanced HP. Not what i am looking for. The pads will be on for a day to test out between different sources and then off it goes!

They are not original pads but are from ebay and thats why they sound so off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back