Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,747 of 7,701
Meze 99 C are have more bass, are smoother and come with a more "fun" character than HD600 which are quite serious by their nature. Both sound very good and relaxing, if you're looking for more bass and impact, 99 Classics surely delivers :darthsmile:

If you're looking for the ultimate performance, using something powerful like iDSD BL will make both HD600 and 99 Classics sound better, fully recommended to use a good source for both if you can
I don't actually have the HD 600/6XX, but was just wanting to know if they compliment each other well, one more bassy, one more neutral, because i might get the two. Thanks for the reply though!

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #2,748 of 7,701
Until a few years ago I was a beginner as well though, some people got later into this hobby and balanced can be confusing, especially with all the different ports and standards :smile_phones:

I looked at his post count and lost all patience for his ignorance. He's been around too much not to have even the slightest idea what a balanced headphone/cable is.

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #2,749 of 7,701
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #2,750 of 7,701
This kind of attitude, coming from one of the most active users in this community, is kind of discouraging for us, the less-experienced.

You are right and i dont think Pinky is guilty of that. I remember when i was new and like a fool i shot him a PM and i must say his politeness and eagerness to help has helped me many a times. He is right somewhere when he was pointing out the post count of the concerned member which reflects how long he has been in the know how. I dont have to justify for Pinky but someone with 2000+ posts saying something like this can be a bit bizarre.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #2,751 of 7,701
I don't actually have the HD 600/6XX, but was just wanting to know if they compliment each other well, one more bassy, one more neutral, because i might get the two. Thanks for the reply though!

You should have tons of fun with both! :darthsmile:

I looked at his post count and lost all patience for his ignorance. He's been around too much not to have even the slightest idea what a balanced headphone/cable is.

To be honest I barely got the definition of balanced cables and amps recently, the rarity of those cables and balanced sources is what makes them harder to get by. Say, any smartphone has a 3.5mm headphone output and can work with an external DAC, but to get to balanced you already need special cables, special sources, special amps and there are a few different standards, so it might be hard to get at first.

I forgot if @MezeTeam mentioned this, but what type of plug will be on the balanced cables? 2.5mm , or another type?

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #2,752 of 7,701
You should have tons of fun with both! :darthsmile:

I forgot if @MezeTeam mentioned this, but what type of plug will be on the balanced cables? 2.5mm , or another type?

I am given to understand that it may come with swap-able plugs.. who knows @MezeTeam

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,753 of 7,701
So got to work today, with my new balanced cables in my bag. Can't use them fully yet until my second amp returns, but just thought I'd offer them up, test the fit etc.

So, who spotted my complete balls-up??

20117016_10155000658467983_4406536143197741529_o.jpg

Gah.

They're back in my bag and will be re-worked at the weekend! Doh!

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #2,754 of 7,701
If you really hate bass, and you must if the 99C is too much, then stuff a bunch of foam or cotton behind the drivers. Fill those cups up. That will reduce the low-frequency resonance, and level out the balance.

overall i love bass...
but not from meze 99 classics- i think mids and high are ok - but bass is crappy, bleeds into mids all the time and i fell pain in my head with recording are little bassy too.
Drums are realy very loose with Meze 99 Classics. 99 - Much of bass but less of quality of that bass.
Bunch /cottom behind the drivers is not for me because then "highs" are very muffled.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #2,755 of 7,701
overall i love bass...
but not from meze 99 classics- i think mids and high are ok - but bass is ****ty, bleeds into mids all the time and i fell pain in my head with recording are little bassy too.
Drums are realy very loose with Meze 99 Classics. 99 - Much of bass but less of quality of that bass.
Bunch /cottom behind the drivers is not for me because then "highs" are very muffled.

Out of the box the Mezes sound not as good as after burn-in period.

I recommend you to try again after 2 days of burn-in and you will ear more controlled bass and better high freq.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #2,757 of 7,701
overall i love bass...
but not from meze 99 classics- i think mids and high are ok - but bass is ****ty, bleeds into mids all the time and i fell pain in my head with recording are little bassy too.

Kindly try my EQ profile. The drivers themselves are very able but if you wish for a different sound, you can get very good results with an EQ profile

Just do the following, take any EQ, lower the 250 Hz area by 4dB and then take the 16 kHz band and increase that by 10 or by 14, depending on how strong you need the effect to be.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,760 of 7,701
overall i love bass...

Hi Chronic,

I KIND OF felt the same way about the 99 Classics when I first bought them. I was not all that impressed by the sound, but I definitely saw potential. I knew that with the right custom EQ, they could be incredible sounding. So with some help I was finally able to come up with one that hit the mark in all the right places, and so I ended up keeping my 99s. If you'd like, check out my review on the 99s (vs. AKG K551s), and you'll notice too that I posted that custom EQ taken off my Poweramp app (which I HIGHLY recommend btw). I also just added 2 other versions of that EQ.........one with extra bass, and one with less. I sometimes find that the Extra one works best, but many times it can be too much. The Bass Light version is great for overly bassy songs (especially ones with acoustic guitars in them), though I don't use that one as much. Hopefully this will help you find the sound you're looking for. Let me know if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back