Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #168 of 7,704
Heyas folks. So it seems that I haven't been getting any e-mail updates on this thread and I missed a couple pages of discussion. Anyway, just thought I'd chime in and add my 2 cents.

Burn-in
As mentioned, I am a big proponent of burning in anything that has a current running through it. In regards to the 99 Classics, I HIGHLY recommend a minimum of 40 hours.
Soundstage - Like virtually all headphones, the Meze gets a boost in soundstage. Everything does seem to 'open-up' and sound more expansive and less cluttered (not that I found the 99 Classics to be congested in the first place). I found subtle changes right after the first night of listening. 
Bass - In my first impressions I stated " while the bass is awesome 98% of the time, on rare occasion the mid-lower mid-bass can sound too woody ". Not any more! In fact, I figured out what was happening. It seems that what I was hearing was the impact of the kick-drum and the pluck of the bass 'colliding'. In other words, the dreaded double bass hit! After burn-in both the sounds of the drum and bass are completely independent and defined.
Also, in my first impressions I stated " Playing this test track, none of them are audible when the announcer says "10Hz", in fact with the 99 Classics as soon as I push play I immediately get the sub-bass rumble before words are spoken! " I can not recreate this at all; Not with bass-boost (software and hardware), not with jacking the volume. I suspect that the drivers were 'sticking' together sub-bass frequencies. As of now, the 99 Classics bass can be heard/felt at just below 20Hz, much like my Momentums and PSB.
I do want to note though that it is winter. I am not sure how much of the bass changes I mentioned with my pair was due to them being 'cold' during shipping, or due to bunr-in, or both!
​Mids - No big change. Perhaps a bit smoother in the lower-mids, and more open, but definitely not as much of a dynamic change as bass.
Treble - Very much affected by burn-in, in fact I suspect that my 99 Classics weren't as burned-in as I thought when I did my review. To my ears, as of last night, treble no longer takes a slight back-seat to the upper mids. There is more resolve, sparkle and shine, and overall sound a touch more airy or open. Since moving from my test tracks to random, I am constantly impressed by the amount of detail and extension!

Ear Pads
I think the ATH-M50 ear pads would fit! I actually own a pair that I use with my Panasonics, however literally the day before my 99 Classics arrived I leant them off to my friend as his JVCs bit the dust, so I can not actually test them. BUT, I did make foam cut-outs of the shape of the ATH-M50 pads (to fit them on my Grado SR60) and holding them up to the 99 Classics, look about right! The best thing is there are velour pads widely available and relatively cheap (MassDrop). As well, the pads have the cloth backing attached like the Meze!

Cable
I wish the 3.5mm jacks weren't so tight. I really want to upgrade the cable to an OCC Copper. I might just have to use bare leads and heat-shrink....
@Sawdust Thanks for the link for the plugs! They just might work! Worst case scenario one side of the metal jacket might have to be filed down, which is surprisingly easy to do.

beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #171 of 7,704
Sonus Faber Concertino, made out of italian walnut and leather, warm and smooth just as they look like. Old stuff but the kind of old stuff that gets better with aging, just like wine into a wooden cask I guess :)

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #173 of 7,704
Nice, any early impressions?

I'm waiting for walnut silver. Meze, any estimate on when these will ship?

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #174 of 7,704
I actual ordered the walnut silver first. But couldn't wait for it. So change my order to the gold that is ready in stock.

It is a very fun sounding can. Out of the box already sounded great! It is definitely worth way more than the selling price!

Just wish that the earcups are slightly bigger.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #179 of 7,704
@Emerpus @Khragon @pfillion

We're getting this question a lot about the Walnut Silver model. These are just estimations but they should reach you (and everybody else who chose this model) in late March, early April. 

But worry not, as soon as we get any more information we'll post it here for everybody to see. 

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back