Meze 99 Classic equalizer settings?
Jun 24, 2019 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Steve B.

New Head-Fier
So anyone have 99 classics? Can you share your EQ settings? I have had these a couple of years and I am tending to not use them much lately as I am finding them to bass heavy and veiled. However, I have been using the parametric EQ on the DX220 to great effect but I am trying to find the perfect settings. I EQ'd the bass down 3 Db, increased 500Hz 1Db, and 8K up 2 Db. Sounds much better than with no EQ but maybe other tweaks make it even better?

Now if the damn mango player would stream DLNA. I need to find a DLNA player for the DX220.......

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 24
A eq setting was posted on the 99 Classics thread from a few years back that did what you want I can’t remember who posted it but you could ask there.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 24
Try this - my settings
20190329_215452_HDR.jpg

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 24
No you up the bass and they said the bass was to much .

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 24
D93D8EE4-393C-40ED-B8B1-469F87900D54.jpeg

This is what brought them closer to neutral for me. Sorry for the pic but the best I got right now.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 24
With the “new original” smaller ear pads, I actually like the bass response for the most part. I do think there’s too much energy in the 125Hz band, so I knocked off about 4dB in my EQ settings. I also took about 2dB from the 60Hz to let the sub-bass sound more extended and less rolled off. Those tweaks really refine the bass response and make it fit better with everything else across the frequency range. I also take 2dB off the 8kHz when I want to crank it loud! I don’t mess with the upper treble largely because I like the response as-is, and I’m not interested in pushing any perceived graininess even further.

If you’re stuck with the 99 Classics’ stock larger pads, you’ll probably want to take that 125Hz band down another 2dB, and take the 1-8kHz bands up 3-5dB, depending on your tastes (ex: 1kHz +3dB, 2kHz +5dB, 4kHz +5dB, 8kHz +3dB). This will take the stock pads in line with the “new original” smaller pads that Meze is selling on their site now, and come with the Noirs. Really though, it’s worth the $20 bucks to upgrade to the smaller pads if your ears can take the reduction in space. Sometimes I turn off the EQ if I’m listening to a bass light album like Pretty Hate Machine or The Real Thing. The 99 Noir kinda pulls miracles with a lot of ‘90s alt-rock recordings.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 24
Dec 26, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 24
My new response is:

Get the silver upgrade cable. Everything that silver as a material does to the bass and treble benefits the 99 Classics default tuning. Plus you get improved technicalities (compatibility with better audio devices), and the benefit of bypassing DSP altogether, if that's your method of EQ (compatibility with more audio devices). I keep blabbing about this cable but it made me appreciate the 99 on a whole new level.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 24
My new response is:

Get the silver upgrade cable. Everything that silver as a material does to the bass and treble benefits the 99 Classics default tuning. Plus you get improved technicalities (compatibility with better audio devices), and the benefit of bypassing DSP altogether, if that's your method of EQ (compatibility with more audio devices). I keep blabbing about this cable but it made me appreciate the 99 on a whole new level.
I own a pair of the Meze 99 classics as well (bought in December 2018, so I assume I have the larger ear pads). I am now thinking about enhancing my experience a bit. Would you suggest to only buy the upgrade cable or also the smaller ear pads from Meze? Or maybe even an additional DAC? And how would this new cable affect the EQ settings? Most of the time I listen to music with my iPhone (2/3 256kbps streams from Apple Music and 1/3 high-res) where there is no Poweramp EQ, only in stock non-customisable EQ settings which also only apply to Apple Music and hence the sound of Ultra HD tracks from e.g. Amazon Music HD cannot be tweaked with EQ settings. Thanks for any advice!

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 24
I own a pair of the Meze 99 classics as well (bought in December 2018, so I assume I have the larger ear pads). I am now thinking about enhancing my experience a bit. Would you suggest to only buy the upgrade cable or also the smaller ear pads from Meze? Or maybe even an additional DAC? And how would this new cable affect the EQ settings? Most of the time I listen to music with my iPhone (2/3 256kbps streams from Apple Music and 1/3 high-res) where there is no Poweramp EQ, only in stock non-customisable EQ settings which also only apply to Apple Music and hence the sound of Ultra HD tracks from e.g. Amazon Music HD cannot be tweaked with EQ settings. Thanks for any advice!
I bought Yaxi stPads2 and I like it as the bass was hurting my ears with original pads.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 24
Just from my experience, the pad swap will change the sound more, at least when going from stock to "new small" pads. On top of that, what the silver cable does is it takes the basic sound you get and refines it. Silver cleans up the overall sound so it scales higher, with slightly less bass and extended treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back