Mexican Food-Fi
Oct 6, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I also like to frequent a little place on the Westside that serves Oaxacan food... It's similar enough that you'll love it, but different enough to be a new experience.

What's the name of this place? Sounds like it might be worth the trip.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #17 of 27
With the growing Mexican population, here, we've now got three authentic restaurants, and two good Mexican-run Tex-mex ones.

I cant choose a favorite Mexican food, these days. Sopes, tostadas, tortas, non-tex-mex pollo con crema, enchiladas in good mole sauce; and nothing beats a fresh chicken tamale.

So far I've learned to make decent tostadas (get locally made tortialls, and there is no effort to it), soft tacos (it's all in barely-frying the tortilla), and refried beans. As simple as the food is, much of it is still difficult when going in blindly. Of course, I use the local Indian grocers to help me spice things up
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mexican, Indian, and Italian are all by far my favorite genres of food, now that I've tasted non-Tex-mex.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you know a place in the US that has good carnitas, please let me know (I travel a lot).

You should try the carnitas and barbacoa at Chema's (SE Houston). They are made fresh every weekend. Best to go early though as they tend to sell out quick. Oh and for tacos de carnitas, the flea market in SE Houston close to it sells really good ones as well as other Mexican food with free all you can eat frijoles a la charra when you buy something. damn im getting hungry now...

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #21 of 27
mmmm... i love Mexico and its food.

my favorite fish tacos in the world come from a tiny little shack in Akumal on the Yucatan coast called Lucy's.

this'll make your mouth water:

017-1.jpg

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 27
My wife and I both love Mexican food, but it's hard to find good places up north. We do have one local place (not a chain) that has decent Mexican food, and we go there pretty regularly. I've also learned to make a few dishes myself. I make pretty good carnitas, and I also make a chili verde that's pretty close to what I've had in places in Arizona.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #23 of 27
Will keep this in mind in my texas travels! I hear that the best carnitas in Houston are supposed to be at the Matamoros Meat Market (at least for the price). I will have to hit that place up some day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Want a suprise on the carnitas. Hit up any HEB in the valley on a saturday or sunday. They will have carnitas and barbacoa. Can't be beat for the price per pound!

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #24 of 27
I love Mexican! We have 2 really great Mexican restaurants near us. One called Las fuentes who has Carne Asada a la Tampiqueña to die for. The other is El Tapatio‎ which has the best pastor tacos (spicy pork), and shrimp cocktails the size of small fish bowls! I also second TEX-MEX!!!!! Marix out in Santa Monica has some of the best fajitas ever.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will keep this in mind in my texas travels! I hear that the best carnitas in Houston are supposed to be at the Matamoros Meat Market (at least for the price). I will have to hit that place up some day.

Well if you are at the Houston meet I might be bringing some 'snacks' from the valley. Of course not while using someone equipment.
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #26 of 27
That would be excellent (I will definitely be there)!
k701smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you are at the Houston meet I might be bringing some 'snacks' from the valley. Of course not while using someone equipment.
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #27 of 27
New Mexico, has a variation on Mexican food that is particularly tasty. Green Chile Stew made with chicken, potatoes, black beans, hatch chiles and mole. Served with soft warm tortillas, which are dipped into the stew. Yum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back