Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
Nov 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #363 of 500
Nov 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #364 of 500
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, after some thought, I just ordered the Hex. Should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to comparing it to my Bryston BDA-2 DAC!

Spoilers alert: The Hex will eat the BDA-2 for breakfast and then some. I've auditioned both and that's how I felt.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #365 of 500

Spoilers alert: The Hex will eat the BDA-2 for breakfast and then some. I've auditioned both and that's how I felt.

LoL, good to know! 
tongue.gif

What differences / advantages with the Hex did you hear over the BDA-2 (which I still hold in very high regard).

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #366 of 500
A few albums into the Hex:

The DAC seems to disappear into the music. Very natural and very clean. Transients are quick but not "hyper digital quick" if you know what I mean? First few things that grabbed me is just how expansive it sounds and how "natural" it sounds. The BDA-2 is a bit "U" shaped and has that hyper detailed digital sound and this just sounds clean. More to come...so far so good. 

I've tried CDs through my CD Player (photo) and now I'm onto USB and both seem very promising.

Construction wise...it's a tank. Big, heavy with a great and thick face plate. Not a fancy touch screen, just a clean functional front.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #367 of 500
Which USB module do you have?

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #368 of 500
  Which USB module do you have?

The newest USB2.0 version. Just plug and play with my iMac. Nice and easy! Also has the AES option too included. 

Forgot to mention, I'm first feeding my USB into the Schiit Wyrd from my Mac...but then again...that's in the photo too. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #369 of 500
  A few albums into the Hex:

The DAC seems to disappear into the music. Very natural and very clean. Transients are quick but not "hyper digital quick" if you know what I mean? First few things that grabbed me is just how expansive it sounds and how "natural" it sounds. The BDA-2 is a bit "U" shaped and has that hyper detailed digital sound and this just sounds clean. More to come...so far so good. 

I've tried CDs through my CD Player (photo) and now I'm onto USB and both seem very promising.

Construction wise...it's a tank. Big, heavy with a great and thick face plate. Not a fancy touch screen, just a clean functional front.

I just got the BDA-2 a couple months ago and have been enjoying it, but I have been very curious about NOS dacs to see what they are like since I haven't ever heard one.

Looking forward to more impressions of how the Hex compares to the Bryston.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #370 of 500

I just got the BDA-2 a couple months ago and have been enjoying it, but I have been very curious about NOS dacs to see what they are like since I haven't ever heard one.

Looking forward to more impressions of how the Hex compares to the Bryston.

I am in a similar situation. I got BDA-2 in May and it is the most natural sounding DAC I tried (I do not find it hyper-detailed). I recently found this thread via the BDA-2 thread, and I'm curious how much better the Hex is. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #371 of 500
Well night #1 went by very well. I threw a lot of my test tracks at it and so far so good. FTR, the ability of the Hex to deliver detail and still sound very natural and open has really impressed me. I still hold the BDA-2 in very high regard (I do prefer it to the PWD2 and M51), but I have to admit it was hard to turn off the Hex tonight. I just wanted to keep going! Gotta head to bed...my son has hockey early tomorrow.

More to come...

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #372 of 500
The Wyrd may not make much of a difference in Hex (at least in theory) because Hex's USB module is internally powered instead of dirty USB power from the computer.
Here's a picture of my Hex, although it's a bit cut off.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #373 of 500
The Wyrd may not make much of a difference in Hex (at least in theory) because Hex's USB module is internally powered instead of dirty USB power from the computer.

I got the Wyrd for the BDA-2 and it did help with some drop outs I had with my computer. I haven't really played with it and the Hex yet...I just swapped it out with my BDA-2 and turned it on. Funny, it's deceptively big...in photos it seems smaller (at least to me), but in real life it's quite the opposite. 

I love the all silver motif you have there! Mine's a bit of a mis-mash. Silver sources (DAC, Wyrd and transport) and my amps (GS-X Mk2, KGSSHV and LL2) are all black.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #374 of 500

I got the Wyrd for the BDA-2 and it did help with some drop outs I had with my computer. I haven't really played with it and the Hex yet...I just swapped it out with my BDA-2 and turned it on. Funny, it's deceptively big...in photos it seems smaller (at least to me), but in real life it's quite big. 

Really? That's the opposite of how I felt. I thought it looked big in the pictures, but when I got the unit and saw it in person I was glad it wasn't as big as I thought it would be.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #375 of 500
Well night #1 went by very well. I threw a lot of my test tracks at it and so far so good. FTR, the ability of the Hex to deliver detail and still sound very natural and open has really impressed me. I still hold the BDA-2 in very high regard (I do prefer it to the PWD2 and M51), but I have to admit it was hard to turn off the Hex tonight. I just wanted to keep going! Gotta head to bed...my son has hockey early tomorrow.

More to come...

:beerchug:
The Hex doesn't have any wow factor, at least I wasn't initially impressed with the sound. But it grows slowly and then it's difficult to switch to something different.
I'm really liking mine so far.
As I said previously, I can finally listen to every album in my collection, none of the sos-so recordings sound 'extremely' bad on the Hex. With other DACs I had in the past some of them were unlisteneable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back