Metrum Acoustics Octave
Oct 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #271 of 707
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #273 of 707
So would it be better to get an AP2 to go with my Nuforce HDP and get the Octave or get the Octave first and run it with toslink and get the AP2 (or equivalent) later?

From my experience with the metrum quad I would say it is very dependant on the quality of the transport. It might be due to a basic digital input stage with no advanced jitter reduction mechanism.
Up until yesterday I was using it with the coax output of my squeezebox touch. Though I could really enjoy its qualities (transparency, natural sound, ...) on acoustic I found 2 bothering "flaws" on faster paced/more complex tracks:
- Definite lack of bass (both impact and extension)
- The mids were too forward as to make the whole presentation bloomy with some difficulties to follow quiet instruments in the background and on the sides.

I got the stello u3 yesterday and boy this now sounds wonderful! The aforementioned flaws disapeard and became new strength of my source. It definetely IS a night/day difference with this particular transport/DAC combo, period.

Now I might try the NFB-3.1 with the stello because the lack of bass was also bothering me when I was using it. To a level that made me prefer the usb powered fostex HP-A1 in that regard!
Edit: using the USB out of the SBT, of course.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #274 of 707
The AP2 improves the Octave but its not like the Octave is junk without it.  On a budget, I'd probably just get the MF VLink192 and focus on a better amp later.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #276 of 707
Quote:
Hells yes!  Once you know what to listen for its a no brainer unless you prefer laid back and fuzzy.

Yep, you nailed it. Laid back and fuzzy. The AP2 tightens up and clears up the overall sound. It was subtle at first, but as I got used to it and learned what to listen for, the differences are becoming more apparent. The bass has more impact and punch, the mids are more fluid, and the highs are cleaned up with a nice sparkle. The sounds goes from laid back and a bit sluggish, to having more impact and depth all the way across. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #277 of 707
I planned on doing a full A/B of the Octave with the AP2 and EMU 1212m since my cables came in but even after casual listening it was pretty obvious that I have better things to do :wink:  Long story short, if you have the Octave please don't use the EMU :p  Without a scope to verify I would guess that its jitter performance is wildly different from 20Hz-20KHz.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #279 of 707
Indeed, I went from an emu-0404 to the metrum octave. Definately a wow-sensation :)

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #280 of 707
I went from the W4S DAC-2 to the Metrum also had a wow sensation :D  If the Octave had more bottom end weight I'd stop.  We'll see if the PWD2 I have coming gives the same result.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #282 of 707
Its the only reason I change it up... can't have the same gear as you :wink:  Yep only reason :D

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #283 of 707
I'm looking for a upgrade from my DacMagic and was mostly set on the octave but some reports in this thread about it being highly dependant of the source i'm not so it would be a good idea and i'd be better of elsewhere.
My source is a Stello CD100 and my amp is a GS-1. So far im mostly using DT880, SR325 and looking to upgrade to a flagship can like the T1, not sure wich one it will be tbh.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #285 of 707
Quote:
My source is a Stello CD100 and my amp is a GS-1. 

Stello makes great transports.  That said, the Octave is still miles ahead of the DacMagic which is bested by the W4S DAC-2 which got smashed by the Octave.  The transport warning is more for people using spdif straight off their PC or Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back