Metrum Acoustics Octave
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #121 of 707

Why would you use software upsampling with a nos DAC ?
Quote:
Enjoyable thread, guys. I'm one of the Metrum owners from the Aussie forum and was just googling around to see how this DAC was faring on the net. 

I'm one of the lucky ones whose Octave goes all the way to 192kHz with my AP2. I only have a few tracks at that resolution... but oh god they sound amazing. 2L from Norway offer some wonderful music that way. 

The magic number really is 176.4 though, because that's 4 x 44.1. The bulk of our music libraries are CD audio, and a good software upsampler running at 4x is the way to get them sounding their best on a Metrum. I've tried a bunch (mostly on Mac) and following a suggestion from the xxhighend guy am presently listening to Audirvana Plus using OSX's Core Audio SRC. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #122 of 707
Quote:
Do I understand this right: neither Quad or Octave can lock onto 192kHz/24bit signals via S/PDIF or Toslink?

I was looking at this as an inexpensive hi-res upgrade for Squeezebox, but the lack of support for 192kHz/24 - while not a deal breaker - is something causing me to pause.

After all, there are other options, although not at this price range for within EU shoppers.

They're specced for 176/24 on coax, and that's the max mine locks onto.  I tried 192 and get no sound.  Some have reported success, I think it has something to do with tolerances for the receiver vs. dac chips, and you can somehow luck out.

FWIW, I upsample everything to 176/24 and it really does make things sound pretty amazing.  I haven't been a fan of upsampling in the past, but I'm using Reclocker on Win7 and have been pleasantly surprised.  Even upsampling 96 -> 176 makes a very audible difference.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #123 of 707
Quote:
Why would you use software upsampling with a nos DAC ?

This is a question I probably asked a couple times before I got my Metrum.

Intuitively, I seems like a dumb thing to do.  I tried upsampling many years ago that was built-in on a MF A3.24 and hated it.  On the Metrum I gave it a shot due to the reports from others.  I found the results quite agreeable.  I think there's also something to be said about the quality of the upsampler you use, just like the quality of the upscaling algorithm on TVs for watching low res content.  I tried for instance doing it with JRiver and was a bit ho-hum about it.

I also ran my Edition 8 headphones out of my WA6SE's low output for several months, then one day for kicks tried the high output.  I've gone back and forth several times, but now I just leave it on the high output.  It just flat out sounds more dynamic to my ears, although technically it seems like it should be the other way around.  Sometimes you just have to try something and go with what your ears tell you.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #124 of 707

Quote:
And secondly, is the Stella U3 my best bet to convert AES out to S/PDIF in for the Metrum in your opinion? Any help appreciated!

Can't answer your other questions, but in the $500 area it's your best bet (I'm not aware of any others in this price range that do?)

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #125 of 707
Responding to a few different questions and comments...

The Octave is only guaranteed to go to 176.4kHz (on coax input), but some of the units just happen to go to 192. I suspect that having a good quality SPDIF source improves your chances of having this work for you.

I really like the Octave/AP2 combination. Heard bhobba's OffRamp 4 and agree it is better, but not sufficiently so for me to want to spend that much extra money. 

And why upsample on a NOS DAC? Well, because it has no upsampling of its own, of course! :wink:

I've never heard a typical NOS DAC that I wanted to own. They all lacked so much in detail and correspondingly had no real sense of soundstage or space, all of which are important to me. 

The beauty of the Metrum's approach is that you get complete control of upsampling via software. At this very moment I've got Elbow's Seldom Seen Kid album (ripped from CD) playing in the background with no upsampling, because that warmer, more relaxed sound suits my current mood and situation. For focused listening, though, I'd switch the SRC back on.

Re the Stello U3: no, you can't use that to convert AES/EBU to SPDIF. The AES port on the U3 is an output only. You need something like this: http://www.hosatech.com/product/339824/CDL-313/_/Digital_Audio_Interface%2C_SPDIF_Coax_to_AESEBU

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #126 of 707
Hi,

I have a metrum too and was wondering what program (and settings)  you use to upsample the files. I use JPlay so I have to upsample all material in avance.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #128 of 707

Quote:

Try Foobar 2000 with a SoX upsampler plugin.

and if playing JPlay in Hibernate, I think you will have to make new files first  because you cannot upsample on the fly (?).  Right click + Convert on files when in foobar, and then load the Sox upsampler from the processing column, then convert.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #132 of 707
Got to listen to mine feeding into WA2>T1 - a bliss.

Unfortunately I do not have a dedicated soundcard or USB transport and foobar is unable to use /so/x Resampler and WASAPI at the same time. KS does not show up in the list of outputs at all with this version of Foo I have, crap. I will have to get AP2 sooner than I thought. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #133 of 707

Quote:
 . . .  and foobar is unable to use /so/x Resampler and WASAPI at the same time. . .

Hi Szadzik,

Just noticed your post (haven't read the rest of the thread).

I'm using latest stable SOX for downsampling with WASAPI output in Foobar 2000 (ver. 1.1.7 with The Dark One skin).

Working fine playing 24/192 file into USB Dac at 16/44.1

Cheers,

Raksy.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #134 of 707

Quote:
Hi Szadzik,

Just noticed your post (haven't read the rest of the thread).

I'm using latest stable SOX for downsampling with WASAPI output in Foobar 2000 (ver. 1.1.7 with The Dark One skin).

Working fine playing 24/192 file into USB Dac at 16/44.1

Cheers,

Raksy.

Do you have a link to the SoX you are using?

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #135 of 707

Quote:
Do you have a link to the SoX you are using?

Hi Szadzik,

I got it from here (0.7.0 vers.):
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373

Just checked and it says it uses SoX routines. Sorry, it may NOT be actual SoX, but another resampler based on it. 
redface.gif

Not sure. Just saw somewhere that it was better/faster than PPHS, so grabbed it. Hey, it works. 
biggrin.gif

But I haven't tried upsampling with it yet as I don't have a USB to S/PDIF converter & my DAC only supports 16/48 on USB.

Cheers,

Raksy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back