Metrum Acoustics Octave
Sep 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #77 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynobot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Neutral is true listening terms is what you may call the Lavry DA10...having owned one.  Its a recording studio measuring instrument not exactly a listening device.  The Audiogd Ref dacs [I own a Ref 5 and Ref 7] are not neutral in that sense.  They do indeed have a flavor, slightly warm and true to the source they are very clean but not harsh in any sense of the word.  The AudioGd dacs are not analytical like the Benchmark or Lavry they are get-out-of-the-way warmish.  The TDA dacs on the other hand are warmish and extremely musical throughout the frequency spectrum all-be-it rolled off and soft on the bottom end compared to hard sounding dacs.

Yeah... I have no idea how neutral the Anedio is.  Reading the plots that came with it and the impressions of others on this forum it is supposed to be fairly neutral, and as such it is the closest I've probably come to spending time with a neutral source.  Not sure if I could characterize the Metrum as being warm, but these are early days.  The more I listen the more I like it though.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #79 of 707
Thanks. I guess I will have lookout for a deal on the U3. There was one for $400 on A'GON but its gone now in less than 24 hrs.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #80 of 707
Quote:

That is ALL that matters!!!!!

Enjoy!

Thank you much :)

Quote:
Thanks. I guess I will have lookout for a deal on the U3. There was one for $400 on A'GON but its gone now in less than 24 hrs.

FWIW I am just using onboard audio out - I imagine results would be much better with a dedicated card.  But in my setup I'd say a good interface is mandatory.  

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #81 of 707
Can you provide me the dimensions of the Metrum DAC ? Thanks

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #82 of 707
Including the faceplate but not the jacks, I'm getting 4 1/4" x 1 3/8" x 8 7/8" for each unit.  The faceplate adds 1/8" to the width and 1/16" to the height.  It comes out a bit taller than the specs due to the feet I imagine.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #83 of 707
@bobeau

Okay its been 1 week.

You should have close to 150hrs on it by now...any change?

Is it a keeper or might you be putting it up for sale in the near future??

Just to make it simple you can rate it on a scale of 0-10, of course 10 being the best ever.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #84 of 707
So bad news, haven't been leaving it on at night, has about 40 hours on it now.  Got in the EML 274b, states in the literature it needs 100 hours to settle, yesterday the Audiophilleo came in and the docs say 200.  It'll be awhile before I can say much definitively, esp. as my setup has undergone alot of change over the past week.  Plus it's a different sound than I'm used to, regardless

Some current thoughts

- Not so sure if the DAC's character has changed much so far, but instantly after popping in the EML everything became more smooth/liquid.  That really is the ticket for me, ever since Tues I've been listening without fatigue after 4-8 hour daily listening sessions.
- The change in music player made a difference to the character as well not too unlike the change of rectifier tube.  I can't believe a bitperfect player outputting WASAPI can sound so different from another doing the same, but my ears tell me you're right on that and I can't thank you enough
- The AP 2 undoes a bit of this on Redbook audio, it's a bit frenetic up top (vs. using the Theta TLC).  Only has about 3 hours on it now, hopefully things will improve.  Have a few HDTracks albums and esp Beck's Sea Change 24/88 is just mindblowing, don't perceive the same issue as with Redbook, but that is known to be a very well mastered album. Generally not a fan of upsampling and haven't tried it yet but apparently it comes highly recommended on the Metrum so I'll give it a shot on Monday.

Can't really rate it yet but I'm not looking to flip anytime soon.  My bigger concern is how the AP 2 merges into my system, or if perhaps my head merges around it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #85 of 707
A mini impression of the Quad- Baby bro of the Octave.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98889.0

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #86 of 707
Quote:
A mini impression of the Quad- Baby bro of the Octave.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98889.0

Nice!  I actually found out about this company from fellow head-fier Ardilla, who has owned a quad for maybe a half year now.  Posting a bit about it in the Muse Mini DAC thread oddly enough he considered it to be close in sound to the Muse (a quad TDA1543).  Just coming from a TDA1545 unit myself - granted just a single chip - without a doubt this is a different experience.  It sounds this review you link does illustrate more of what I'm experiencing.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #87 of 707
My Metrum will be making an appearance at at upcoming mini-meet in Irvine.  Attendance is restricted, so if you're in the LA area and you want to have a listen you'll need to contact Purrin.  If its a problem we might be able to meet in person if you're anywhere between there and San Diego.  I'd love to get other Head-fier's impressions on this unusual DAC. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/572364/irvine-orange-county-california-mini-meet-sunday-october-23-2011-confirmed)

Update:  

Have been letting the unit loop overnight this week with the Audiophilleo, so the whole combo has in excess of 100 hours on it now. 

On the Audiophilleo into the Metrum - I've pinged back and forth between the AP2 and TLC a couple times.  It definitely seems the AP2 has mellowed out.  VS. the TLC the presentation is very similar, a bit more focus, a bit sweeter in the treble, a bit more definition in the bass.  The differences are slight though.  I paid about $140 for the TLC + linear PS (the PS actually made a pretty big difference on the TLC, probably bigger than between the TLC -> AP2).  It's not a $400+ jump in fidelity if you're just sampling redbook at native rates.  Keep in mind the TLC has two advantages over the AP, it is converting Toslink -> Coax, so it is electrically decoupled from the computer, plus the linear ps allows its (ancient) clock to work more stably.  To even the score a bit I have an AQVox linear PS for the AP2 on the way (http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html).  

I've taken the advice of other owners out there and tried upsampling.  Holy crap.  I've tried to go back but I can't.  Using redbook there is a solid step from 44->88... and about a similar step from 88 -> 176.   I've tried hardware upsampling on DACs before and have hated it.  This is different.  The noise floor drops significantly, bass tightens up, and oddly enough, there seems to be no loss of body in the mids or a sense or hardness in the treble.  It's as if everything comes into better focus.  Of course since I'm doing this in software and the quality of the upsampler is crucial, using Reclocker audio renderer.  Haven't tried any others.

Have a few albums in 24/88 or 24/96 - Beck's "Sea Change", Talking Heads "Remain in Light", and Elton's "Yellow Brick Road".  Unbelievable, just in awe of what I'm hearing.  Also The Beatle's usb collection in 24/44 upsampled to 176.  I've been a huge Beatles fan for years, even my pug dogs are named Maxwell and Sadie ("Maxwell's" Silver Hammer, Sexy "Sadie").  This brought me to tears, I've been having trouble listening and working so I only listen in bits and pieces to that collection.  Esp. the voices, Paul's bass has definition for the first time, the string arrangements... it just sounds so real, this stuff recorded some 40+ years ago I feel like I'm in the studio with them.

I don't know how to really put this.  With my recent foray into high-end delta sigma offerings I felt what I had felt years ago when I gave it a shot - that I'm not a lover of neutral hi-fi offerings.  That too much detail, too flat a frequency response, too mechanical a presentation - that it left me emotionally disconnected from the music... that it sounds fake.  Esp. I gave the Anedio a month of playtime, but during that month I only listened to it about 50 hours.  I made it I think 2 or 3 days listening to it the entire day, but in most cases I could only take it a few hours at a time before putting my Ack Dack back on. It left me equal parts fatigued and bored.  The Metrum is presenting the music in a similar way... at least in the same ballpark as far as neutrality and detail, and with high res music and/or upsampling may well be launching past my time with the Anedio (only playing Redbook with that).  With the Anedio, when I put it into the mix I felt like I was taking my medicine so-to-speak, that if I spent time retraining my brain it would click and I would love it.  But the opposite happened, the more I listened the more I didn't want to listen any more.  I just wanted to return to my colored NOS DAC analog world.   The Metrum is having an opposite effect.  I want just that bit more of more detail, resolution, tightness etc, because seeking that stuff I feel I am getting closer to the music.  I tend to come in earlier to work than I usually would just so I can listen to my rig.  It just seems so right.  Going back to my Ack it sounds pleasant and mellow, but it no longer grabs me. 

I consider my desktop setup done for the time being, just have a set of Thunderpants in the group buy.  I'm looking forward to what Schiit puts out for their statement DAC, will likely sample one for building a home setup.

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #88 of 707
Good stuff. I am waiting for my Quad to come in. Hopefully it should  make a substantial difference in my system, tho I must say I am very content with how my system sounds without a DAC . The magic bullet for me so far was replacing the Telefunken ECC82 with the Sylvania 12BH7A thick O getter in my amp. HOLY MOLY!

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #89 of 707
Quote:
Good stuff. I am waiting for my Quad to come in. Hopefully it should  make a substantial difference in my system, tho I must say I am very content with how my system sounds without a DAC . The magic bullet for me so far was replacing the Telefunken ECC82 with the Sylvania 12BH7A thick O getter in my amp. HOLY MOLY!

It always surprises me how much difference tube rolling can make.  If I put a miniwatt gz34 and 6ed7s in my Woo, then a 6n6p and EML 274b in my Sonett, the Sonett will sound more like the Woo than the Woo, if that makes any sense.  

What are you using to drive the amp?  Even though you don't have an outboard unit, there is a DAC chip somewhere.  If it's something like a decent PC soundcard be prepared to be blown away by the improvement.  

Make no mistake, this is a crazy good DAC.  Even the quad, I imagine power filtration is more important than the number of chips.  At this level of performance it's really about preference in sound.  I can see folks interested in more typical NOS DACs not liking it, it's like some sort of weird hybrid.  For me it's been an acquired taste but a taste I'm definitely acquiring 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #90 of 707

Quote:
 then a 6n6p and EML 274b in my Sonett, the Sonett will sound more like the Woo than the Woo...

My Sonett alarm went off.

So you still have the Sonett eh!?  
biggrin.gif

(I understood the EML 274 in the Sonett was not ideal?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back