Metrum Acoustics Musette NOS R-2R DAC (2015) Discussion thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #92 of 239

Thank you very much for all your answers. The preliminary “review” from Audiostream.com sounds quite promising. I guess I will wait little bit for the whole review and decide then.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #93 of 239
Well, i gathered up all my thoughts, and wrote down extendet article:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/777406/metrum-acoustics-musette-nos-r-2r-dac-2015-discussion-thread#post_11857412

Hope it will be usefull.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #94 of 239
Well, i gathered up all my thoughts, and wrote down extendet article:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/777406/metrum-acoustics-musette-nos-r-2r-dac-2015-discussion-thread#post_11857412

Hope it will be usefull.
Great to read you've ended up with a dac that you're really enjoying after a few false starts in finding a dac that you were interested in and was locally available.

Enjoy!!

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #96 of 239
Rockcoon, I enjoyed your review.  I have to agree with you, the V200 and Musette make a fantastic pairing, especially if you enjoy a smooth and natural presentation.  

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #97 of 239
Contrails
Thank you :)

I know, that many people like me, looking for comfortable sound. Musette can match their preferences. Especialy, when Schiit's multibit products reported to be a bit bright.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #98 of 239
Just wanted to chime in here as I went overboard with Metrum gear this last week. Hifi Heaven had a demo Octave listed on their website that I snapped up but they contacted me and told me it already spld. So I located an Octave Mk1 on US Audio Mart for stupid cheap money (exchange rate with Canada is awesome right now).

In the meantime Hifi Heaven rather than refund my money offered me a Musette at a steep discount. So I said 'eff it' and took the deal.

Two weeks ago I had my Vintage Phillips Dac 960 (powered by Single Crown TDA1541)surrounded by Delta Sigmas both small and large. But I prefer the Philips dac to all comers... Today my Philips is surrounded by two fellow NOS dutchmen from Metrum Acoustics.

Obviously the set up is a little reduntant so I am going to do a death match between the older Octave and newer Musette and sell the loser.

Impressions to follow in a week or two after the Musette gets enough burn in.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #99 of 239
Obviously the set up is a little reduntant so I am going to do a death match between the older Octave and newer Musette and sell the loser
that shouldn't take too long

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #100 of 239
One would hope the move to custom in house Resistor ladder modules would be an improvement.
But considering I've bought and sold a number a decent rigs but am still holding tight to a dac made in 1986... I don't always presume newer is better.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #101 of 239
One would hope the move to custom in house Resistor ladder modules would be an improvement.
But considering I've bought and sold a number a decent rigs but am still holding tight to a dac made in 1986... I don't always presume newer is better.

Wise. I've often found that an upgrade to a given component was a "one step forward, two steps back" proposition. It could be that for your system, the Octave is better.

I am interested in your impressions of the Octave vs. the Musette; I almost bought an Octave from HiFi Heaven at one point, but decided to wait for the Musette. I'd also be interested in your impressions of the Musette vs. the Philips, if you feel like doing that comparison.

In any case, I think that between the Octave and the Musette, you'll want to keep one of them. :)

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #102 of 239
My Musette has landed 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #104 of 239
Wise. I've often found that an upgrade to a given component was a "one step forward, two steps back" proposition. It could be that for your system, the Octave is better.

I am interested in your impressions of the Octave vs. the Musette; I almost bought an Octave from HiFi Heaven at one point, but decided to wait for the Musette. I'd also be interested in your impressions of the Musette vs. the Philips, if you feel like doing that comparison.

In any case, I think that between the Octave and the Musette, you'll want to keep one of them. :)

Will do. Octave vs. Musette and compare both to the DAC 960. I think it'll be a fascinating comparison... Metrum is a young Dutch company advancing the state of the art and Philips is a Dutch company that is essentially the God Father of digital conversion.

I couldn't be happier with my playback front end right now. :atsmile:

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #105 of 239
/random impressions/

Well even after only a day or so, the Musette's superiority to Octave Mk1 is clear to me - in transparency, tonal balance, depth and quality of soundstage.  

The Musette/Aurix combo is not dark as such, but it is the first time I've been able to contemplate listening to rock/pop with the HD800 without instant fatigue.  

/random impressions/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back