Metallica + SR325i's = match made in heaven
Feb 28, 2009 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kejar31

1000+ Head-Fier
I got these phones today and can't believe how good they sound with Metallica. I just got done listening to "One" and couldn't even keep in my seat. LOL I was up jumping around and jamming out, I couldn't contain myself. I cant wait until they are burned in.
happy_face1.gif
tongue_smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got these phones today and can't believe how good they sound with Metallica. I just got done listening to "One" and couldn't even keep in my seat. LOL I was up jumping around and jamming out, I couldn't contain myself. I cant wait until they are burned in.
happy_face1.gif
tongue_smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Cool. Can't wait to hear them at the meet, Justin!

And thanks again for the IPA! You've got one on me coming up.
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 20
Jejeje, just don't listen to there latest albumn. Ear fatigue to the extreme.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 20
One is a great song. No wonder that Metallica and Grado made you jump around. Glad you like them!
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 20
Grado sound good on any kind of "rock" music...though they still won't make Metallica sound like the best thrash act ever
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 20
...1986...the year of thrash....
When I have Metallica on my HD580s I am in heaven. Garage days rerevisited is such a natural sounding album, 40 foot of air around every superhard snare hit.
I have a lot of Metallica vinyl thru my highish end record player setup thru DV336, the 580s and the DT990s both beat the 650s at metallica. Now I really want to try a set of Grado for Metallica.
If you can, listen out for the song Helpless, 5 really loud snare hits just before Krks solo
(tatatatata chingchingchingching> solo)
On the 650s I am addicted to the three very low loud bass drum beats at the start of The Struggle Within, they really POW, just the first three bass drums after the miltary snare bit.
And on my DT990s, the first clean guitar solo in One is extremely three dimensional. I reckon the highlight of justice is the slow heavy 6/8 bit in the title song, how it opens out into a big musical guitar chorus between J and K.
Other big moment includes Battery, the realism of the first guitars, orion, very heavy flanged bass at the start.
Metallicas two albums Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning have IMO the BEST DRUM SOUND EVER.
Enter Sandman thru an expensive vinyl set is awesome, just really opens out, all instruments heard seperately but rocking really hard as a whole.
Heres the chain I listen to my Metallica through:

either
biggrin.gif
enon dl301II/DL103/Supex SD900/Supex 900 MKIV
v
Fairly modded Rega RB300 tonearm
v
Benz Micro Lucaschek PP1 phono stage
v
Darkvoice 336SE stock so far amp
v
Either HD580/HD650/DT990

This combination is a Metallica playing machine, I would recommend to anyone to use analog to listen to metallica. End Rant.
P.S. I could go on forever about what bits of metallica sound special with what cans and what not.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metallicas two albums Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning have IMO the BEST DRUM SOUND EVER.

^ You didn't like the drum sounds on St. Anger??????
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jejeje, just don't listen to there latest albumn. Ear fatigue to the extreme.

Yea, I don't like anything beyond "And Justice For All". The black album was ok but not great like the rest of their earlier stuff.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 20
45rpm vinyl (Black Album) Krell 650M monoblocks and Thiel CS7.2 speakers = perfection!

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...1986...the year of thrash....
When I have Metallica on my HD580s I am in heaven. Garage days rerevisited is such a natural sounding album, 40 foot of air around every superhard snare hit.
I have a lot of Metallica vinyl thru my highish end record player setup thru DV336, the 580s and the DT990s both beat the 650s at metallica. Now I really want to try a set of Grado for Metallica.
If you can, listen out for the song Helpless, 5 really loud snare hits just before Krks solo
(tatatatata chingchingchingching> solo)
On the 650s I am addicted to the three very low loud bass drum beats at the start of The Struggle Within, they really POW, just the first three bass drums after the miltary snare bit.
And on my DT990s, the first clean guitar solo in One is extremely three dimensional. I reckon the highlight of justice is the slow heavy 6/8 bit in the title song, how it opens out into a big musical guitar chorus between J and K.
Other big moment includes Battery, the realism of the first guitars, orion, very heavy flanged bass at the start.
Enter Sandman thru an expensive vinyl set is awesome, just really opens out, all instruments heard seperately but rocking really hard as a whole.
Heres the chain I listen to my Metallica through:

either
biggrin.gif
enon dl301II/DL103/Supex SD900/Supex 900 MKIV
v
Fairly modded Rega RB300 tonearm
v
Benz Micro Lucaschek PP1 phono stage
v
Darkvoice 336SE stock so far amp
v
Either HD580/HD650/DT990

This combination is a Metallica playing machine, I would recommend to anyone to use analog to listen to metallica. End Rant.
P.S. I could go on forever about what bits of metallica sound special with what cans and what not.

Well, I didn't care much for the 580's and Metallica. They just don't seem to keep up with the music (Metallica) as well as the 325i's. Also the bass on the 325i's has more snap and texture making the drums sound much more realistic. The highs have a diamond like clarity that are razor sharp which makes the guitars scream giving the music crazy energy. The mids are light and airy making the vocals float just beyond the instruments until James wants to scream and then they are upfront and in your face. imho the 325i's are the best headphone I have ever heard for this genre (although I have yet to try out the rs1's
biggrin.gif
). So if your a metal head and love Metallica, you must try these out.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 20
Gratz on your new cans! Music is what it's about
smily_headphones1.gif

But I disagree for drums, Ulrich is one of my least favorite drummers, too boring compared to Daniel Carey from Tool or even the drummers from Godsmack, 7dust, or AIC, and others a lot more, more emphasis, different beats, I feel Ulrich drumming is the same across all the albums, it's boring.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
45rpm vinyl (Black Album) Krell 650M monoblocks and Thiel CS7.2 speakers = perfection!

LOL, I bet allot of music sounds like perfection on that setup.
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 20
Justin, try listening to all your metal on your 325is.
biggrin.gif
I like some (older) Metallica too, but prefer more... eclectic bands. Type O Negative is astounding, as is Opeth, as is Therion (though their most recent album is fatiguing...
frown.gif
).

325i plus metal= yes

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I didn't care much for the 580's and Metallica. They just don't seem to keep up with the music (Metallica) as well as the 325i's. Also the bass on the 325i's has more snap and texture making the drums sound much more realistic. The highs have a diamond like clarity that are razor sharp which makes the guitars scream giving the music crazy energy. The mids are light and airy making the vocals float just beyond the instruments until James wants to scream and then they are upfront and in your face. imho the 325i's are the best headphone I have ever heard for this genre (although I have yet to try out the rs1's
biggrin.gif
). So if your a metal head and love Metallica, you must try these out.

I think this thread is enough to make me decide the SR325i will be my next big can purchase.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
325i plus metal= yes

because they're made of metal...? *runs far away as possible from other forum users*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back