Metallica in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Apr 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 40
Congrats to the local band!

They definitely deserve to be there with all of the hits they've had over the years, their influence on the bands that followed them, the energy they put into the music, etc.

I don't think anyone should expect anything they put out to rival what they did early on. It's good they continue to work, but maybe expectations should be adjusted. None of the bands are really bettering their stuff they did in the prime. It shouldn't be held against them.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 40
Like everyone is saying - "it includes the most influential and popular rock bands among the mainstream public," "They definitely deserve to be there with all of the hits they've had over the years," "they brought harder forms of metal to public knowledge," - it's a popularity contest. You're only validating my initial post. There is nothing admirable or award-worthy about selling albums to stupid sheep.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like everyone is saying - "it includes the most influential and popular rock bands among the mainstream public," "They definitely deserve to be there with all of the hits they've had over the years," "they brought harder forms of metal to public knowledge," - it's a popularity contest. You're only validating my initial post. There is nothing admirable or award-worthy about selling albums to stupid sheep.

Who says they were put in because of selling albums (to stupid sheep)?

rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

And there's nothing admirable in the rock and roll hall of fame itself, it's an award aimed to the mainstream public, it is not meant to take the musical and technical proficency of a band into account. Real rock bands and fans probably don't even know what that award is...mtv public is probably convinced that metallica is the best heavy metal band ever, but who cares ? Yes, they were put in for selling albums to sheeps, but that is all this award is about...

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #21 of 40
When's the last time you actually looked up who won the Grammy's, much less watched the show? The Billboard Awards? Hell, what about the Oscars?

All of these award shows serve only one purpose...an additional advertising venue for bought and paid for product, in this case, entertainment. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies serve the same purpose, just as stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame do.

I will reserve judgment about the institution as a whole until I can visit and see if it really acts as a good archive of recordings, artifacts, and memorabilia to preserve the history of rock music, but these rather public inductions really serve no useful purpose other than, perhaps, getting more high profile publicity to the institution so it can get larger donations and grants.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #23 of 40
The R&R hall of fame, like any will have its flaws. But if you have ever been there, it is truly a mecca for rock fans. Of course there will be bands they overlooked or should be in, and I would agree Madonna is a misstep but it really is one heck of a museum. I have been there twice and both times spent the entire day. Just to see some of the actual costumes of legends, people I idolized as a kid was worth the price of admission. Plus they do a lot for lesser known acts, bands that do not get the press other more mainstream acts get when inducted and this makes up for the Madonna's. Every year, mixed in with the mainstream are bands and musicians that got in purely on talent, merit, and influence and not outright sales or popularity. Its not all about popularity but of course it plays a part.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, Metallica gets in. I'm still waiting for Rush.

/bitter Canuck

this is just ridiculous...no idea why rush isnt in yet. INSANE

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And there's nothing admirable in the rock and roll hall of fame itself, it's an award aimed to the mainstream public, it is not meant to take the musical and technical proficency of a band into account. Real rock bands and fans probably don't even know what that award is...mtv public is probably convinced that metallica is the best heavy metal band ever, but who cares ? Yes, they were put in for selling albums to sheeps, but that is all this award is about...

Because clearly nobody in the world is a real rock fan except the ones who like the same bands you do. And thrash was so mainstream before Metallica...

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Man, I don't even ever listen to Metallica anymore - not since the "black" album came out, but I have to wonder - what have you done? Honestly, you seem to be more concerned about what "isn't mainstream" than what is actually "good" music. I'd be interested to hear what music you've produced and you haven't been able to sell. I'm not against it, but over the years I've heard a lot of people who believed they produced great music, and that anything that has been accepted in the mainstream sucks. There is a lot of great music out there that hasn't been discovered by the mainstream, ( definitely more than what has ) but I think you are discrediting everything that Metallica has done because it has lead them to where they are - in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. I would be surprised if you could post anything that could rival the originality or greatness of "Master oF Puppets", "Kill 'Em All" or "And Justice For All". I've been playing for over 15 years, written many songs, and wonder how you can discount these albums - and I'm NOT EVEN A FAN. Sometimes you have to stop not appreciating bands you don't like, and stop worrying about what is "cool'. There is a lot of music out there, whether or not you like it, that wouldn't exist without Metallica.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I don't even ever listen to Metallica anymore - not since the "black" album came out, but I have to wonder - what have you done? Honestly, you seem to be more concerned about what "isn't mainstream" than what is actually "good" music. I'd be interested to hear what music you've produced and you haven't been able to sell. I'm not against it, but over the years I've heard a lot of people who believed they produced great music, and that anything that has been accepted in the mainstream sucks. There is a lot of great music out there that hasn't been discovered by the mainstream, ( definitely more than what has ) but I think you are discrediting everything that Metallica has done because it has lead them to where they are - in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. I would be surprised if you could post anything that could rival the originality or greatness of "Master oF Puppets", "Kill 'Em All" or "And Justice For All". I've been playing for over 15 years, written many songs, and wonder how you can discount these albums - and I'm NOT EVEN A FAN. Sometimes you have to stop not appreciating bands you don't like, and stop worrying about what is "cool'. There is a lot of music out there, whether or not you like it, that wouldn't exist without Metallica.

Excellent post.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 40
I don't produce music. I wasn't literally professing that my albums were better than Metallica's and therefore I should be inducted into the Hall of Fame, and therefore the ad hominems that followed your original statement are null.

As far as Metallica's influence, they were one of the "Big 4" originators of Thrash metal, but of their contemporaries they always seemed to be the ones racing hardest to sell out and make money. Thus their subsequent fame, and thus their present induction into the hall of fame over bands like Slayer and Anthrax. To speculate on influence any further than that is nearly impossible, but if you'd like to extensively track the roots of respectable modern bands to Metallica then be my guest.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be surprised if you could post anything that could rival the originality or greatness of "Master oF Puppets", "Kill 'Em All" or "And Justice For All".

As far as thrash goes, Anacrusis, Dark Angel, and Slayer come to mind.

That being said, I'm not discounting Metallica - those are all fine albums. Just saying.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #30 of 40
It's the rock and roll hall of fame. The only metal bands that will end up there are the ones who general rock/pop populace listen to. Only Metallica, Maiden, Motorhead and Sabbath need apply. This isn't really the place to be getting one's knickers in a bunch over how Slayer or Death could be overlooked.

Really, who gives a rat's backside anyway?

Quote:

As far as Metallica's influence, they were one of the "Big 4" originators of Thrash metal, but of their contemporaries they always seemed to be the ones racing hardest to sell out and make money. Thus their subsequent fame, and thus their present induction into the hall of fame over bands like Slayer and Anthrax.

It was hardly a 'race' to sell out. Metallica came out 9 years after the band started coming together. They started off as a bunch of kids writing the heaviest **** they could, and as they matured as musicians, they put more melody and more complexity into their music. Master of Puppets and ... and Justice for All were culminations of this. It could be that they were famous at this point because they were sellouts. Or it could simpy be because they were good. They didn't have a single off MoP, and One was their first music vid. Testament already had vids out by this stage. Were Testament the bigger sellouts? Where's their HoF induction? Slayer had a video for Seasons in the Abyss in heavy MTV rotation. Sellouts?

Yes, they eventually sold out and started producing pop friendly trash, but if you're going to write off the quality of their metal albums based on what followed it, I'm going to call you out for pushing an agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back