Metallica Black Album vs AC/DC Back in Black
Feb 7, 2002 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
I just want to see the results of this poll... What would you rather listen to / prefer:

Metallica's Black Album (Metallica) or AC/DC's Back in Black ?

I'm interested to see out of these two what gets the most votes.

Feb 7, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 24
On the basis that i never really like the Black album, i'll go with AC/DC.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 24
Gloco, Is it the production or just that you don't like heavy metal/metallica in general.

Production wise I find the Black Album tinny sounding like a lot of 80's hair metal. Screeching Guitars with no vibe on the solo just a bunch of noise, Drums with major echo as well.

Feb 7, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 24
I would have to go with AC/DC BIB for the simple fact that there is not one weak track on the entire CD, just greatness from start to finish. Metallica Black does have some obvious weak tracks (don't tread + friend misery + struggle etc) but also some very good ones. The CD graphics are really weak on both CDs, someone in the band must of done them.

Also AC/DC BIB is argueably their best CD (highway to hell could also be argued their best) but very few people would say metallica Black is their best CD.

For those reasons the trophy goes to AC/DC.

Feb 7, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 24
I love Heavy Metal...but the black album sounds too coordinated lol. It was like Metallica decided they MUST produce an album that will win them awards. Each song carries on its own "story," there is a distinct lack of mixing in together from Track 1 to Track 12. I honestly prefer ...And Justice over any of their albums. It had bone crunching guitar riffs and kick ass solo's, plus classical guitar-like work.

As for the black album, i find it to be one of the best produced Heavy Metal albums, yes it does sound a little tiny, on the other hand you can also say it sounds very crisp...lots of treble energy. You can also hear Jason playing the bass for once.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, the echoes are a little annoying, have you ever listened to Helloween: Time of the Oath cd? It's great stuff!

Feb 7, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 24
back in black all the way. i got the vinyl lp when it was new, and still have it! sounds great (could use a cleaning though). back in black has some awesome heavy metal guitar work, really memorable. the black album while good, anly has a few memorable bass riffs. my only compaint about back in black is the mysogeny, but otherwise it's awesome.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 24
AC/DC suck IMO. The Black Album for sure. If you find "METALLICA" tinny, you need a new stereo IMO.

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 24
I now hate Metallica. But I have to admit I hate AC/DC even more... I'll pick the black album... At least for "Sad but True"

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 24
I voted AC/DC, but only because I feel that Back in Black is their best album and it has two of my favorite songs on it. I actually like listening to Metallica in general better and the Black Album is one of my favorites.

My favorite Metallica albums are S&M and Load. Call me crazy if you want, but those are my favorites and I have them all.

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 24
I never thought much about AC/DC. I bought some of their albums when I was in my teens but I didn't think much of them but I can understand kids liking them, they have energy and a good show, but I thought the songs were pretty bad and the musicianship was awful. The 2 chords got boring after a bit. And the sound quality was bad as well, especially the drums. And the vocals were wretched. Sounded like the vocalist gargled with Drano. I thought the Sex Pistols were way better for that genre of music, not punk per se, but the energy and sense of humor.

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 24
An absolute classic of heavy rock from one of the all-time great bands, or one of the final gasps of life from a band on the verge of completely selling out, already well into their slow decline into hair metal and a full-time position as poster boys for the RIAA.

Next, let's vote on Kenny G vs. Miles Davis. Oh Puh-leeze!

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 24
AC/DC, without a doubt.

regardless of the fact that they've been plagarising their own riffs for years, at least they haven't forgotten that they are, first and foremost, a ROCK band.

... unlike Metallica, who hasn't put out anything worthwhile since 1988. short hair, radio ballads, artistic pretentions ... so much for "metal up your ass." at least Newsted had enough sense to bail out of a sinking (more like already sunken) ship.

Feb 8, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
... unlike Metallica, who hasn't put out anything worthwhile since 1988. short hair, radio ballads, artistic pretentions ... so much for "metal up your ass." at least Newsted had enough sense to bail out of a sinking (more like already sunken) ship.

Thank god someone here as seen the light. Anything after Justice is just plain worthless. However, i do like "the outlaw torn," that song kicks ass. Metal up your ass!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back