Metalhead's quest for good earbuds
Dec 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Elvenefris

New Head-Fier
I went through the threads Earbud GuideMX980/985 and finally THIS. MX980 definitely looks like what I want but then none of the reviews I looked up mentioned how these fared against specific genre's of music and I am worried about it. I live in India, none of the retailers stock MX980. Been thinking of asking my brother in law to get it from the US. 

What I listen to are here LastFM Account 1 and Account 2, I listen to a variety of genre's, metal music predominantly and that too Old School Death/Thrash in specific which means production in most cases is not-up-there. I also listen to a lot of demo's which again means a further dip in production as against the full lengths. Moving over genres, Doom Metal on the other hand have reasonable to good production values. Now, will MX980 do it for me? 

I also listen to a lot of classic rock and indie stuff (recent addition) and I am very confused if the MX980 is the right choice, please help me out with any other alternatives and if I may impose, just type in couple of your favourite albums while recommending so I have a general idea of what is it I am getting into and the perspective you're recommending them from. My budget is $300.

My top 5 albums are -

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Death - Leprosy
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Nocturnus - The Key.

Edit: Thought I'll put in more albums -

Rock - 

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
Scorpions (Uli Roth timeline)
Allman Brothers Band - Any
Dire Straits - Any

Other genre mentions would be Doom, Drone, occasional Jazz and variations of rock.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 5
I would suggest the HisoundAudio PAA1-Pro not because I got it for a review but it is really good. I actually didn't think much of them until recently when I wanted to compare it to my GR07BE. Infact the soundstage is even better than the GR07BE. I would rate it even higher than my Tpeos H-100 which is 3 times the price.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 5
  I would suggest the HisoundAudio PAA1-Pro not because I got it for a review but it is really good. I actually didn't think much of them until recently when I wanted to compare it to my GR07BE. Infact the soundstage is even better than the GR07BE. I would rate it even higher than my Tpeos H-100 which is 3 times the price.

Thanks for the suggestion, my budget can stretch to $100 and this excludes the cost of a portable amp. I've looked at few reviews of the PAA 1-Pro and so far I've read good stuff, I'm looking for a detailed negative review if there's any.

Edit: I will be clubbing these with Sansa Clip+ and a portable amp. Are there a set of tested combinations for the Sansa Cip+ in this regard? I'm looking around myself. Will post here if I come across any decent set of tested combination.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 5
I sometimes pair it with my Clip Zip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back