Metalhead who just bought grado sr225i. What?
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #31 of 75
That sucks. My 225 have been going strong for months. 

The E9 is a poor match due to it's relatively high output impedance (10) which puts Grados (32) at only a 3x difference - the rule of thumb is an 8 to 10X difference, in order to allow for better damping and control of the bass (which would explain some of the sound quality issues you mentioned) - just use the E7, or frankly, nothing. Grados are easy to drive. 

Grado has an excellent warranty and will fix just about anything that's been done to a pair. I don't think you need to give up on them entirely, personally. It sounds like they were defective and should be fixed or replaced, before you pass judgement on them as a whole. 

But I can understand being frustrated by the whole experience and just wanting to move on. 

Good luck, with whatever you choose to do. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #32 of 75

Quote:
That sucks. My 225 have been going strong for months. 

The E9 is a poor match due to it's relatively high output impedance (10) which puts Grados (32) at only a 3x difference - the rule of thumb is an 8 to 10X difference, in order to allow for better damping and control of the bass (which would explain some of the sound quality issues you mentioned) - just use the E7, or frankly, nothing. Grados are easy to drive. 

Grado has an excellent warranty and will fix just about anything that's been done to a pair. I don't think you need to give up on them entirely, personally. It sounds like they were defective and should be fixed or replaced, before you pass judgement on them as a whole. 

But I can understand being frustrated by the whole experience and just wanting to move on. 

Good luck, with whatever you choose to do. 

I still want grados. I'll take the opportunity to upgrade. I'm ordering some sr325i from a member here for $200.  I'll return the sr225i to the store i purchased from.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #33 of 75
the sr325 are a great choice. my favorite grado besides the rs1. 

for 300 bucks, they are hard to beat. 200 is a steal

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #34 of 75
god, i really want to get my hands on a pair of magnums. Thinking of having Chris put together some for me in exchange of music and cash.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #36 of 75
I'm such a fool. I liked the sound quality so i ordered a new pair. I'll sell these broken ones to someone in the classifieds or i will see if the store i bought from will accept them back.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #38 of 75

Are you keeping the broken pair or you have to send it back? What kind of shipping charges are we talking about? I mean, if you get a new pair as replacement, its fine, isnt?
It just can happened, so, get your new pair and enjoy them, imo.

As for the amp for them, mean portable up here, you may want to try Go-Vibe Magnum, goes very good with SR80 and SR225.

Quote:
Well, it's broken. 6 hours of listening later and the right side no longer works. Gentleman don't buy grado. I was actually starting to love these to.

That is the shortest i have ever had a pair of headphones last. I got 6 hours of usage and 4 hours of fun for $250. Now i have to pay for shipping to get a new one. I'm not even gonna bother.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #39 of 75

Quote:
What is the chance my fiio e9 broke the headphones? I was on low gain at just passed 2 o clock.

Was your source at 100% volume?

To give you an idea ~ LCD2, HD800 and Beyer DT990-600 ohm all play at deafening volumes with 100% source volume
 at 2 o clock through the E9 on low gain.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #40 of 75
2 o-clock sounds pretty high to me... Most amps I've used I rarely get past 11 with the Grados. But source volume/line level is a factor.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #41 of 75
I wouldn't worry about that. I have MS2i's + E9 and listen to a lot of music between 11 - 2 o'clock. 

Quote:
What is the chance my fiio e9 broke the headphones? I was on low gain at just passed 2 o clock.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #43 of 75
opinions are like buttholes.

I'm sure if you contact Grado they will surely understand. And if not, post it here and they will lose business. I'm sorry for your trouble but these things happen...I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back