Metal with alternating clean and scream vocals?
Oct 19, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm trying to broaden my metal pallet, but I can't find a great deal of metal that I can actually enjoy.
I listen to something like Meshuggah and Dillinger Escape Plan, and I think it's great until the vocals start up. I appear to have an aversion to harsh and overly aggressive vocals - especially when they're constant throughout the song.

I love bands like Opeth and Mastodon, simply because they alternate between screams and clean vocals.

Could anyone here please make some recommendations?

Metal with clean vocals would also be great (ala Tool).

I too could not handle the vocals of meshuggah and DEP...at first. Took me about a year to understand why everyone liked the vocals; to me it sounded like nails on a chalkboard.
Keep in mind, I DO NOT generally like harsh vocals.

What I think clicked for me was the fact that I started looking at Kidman and Paciuto/Patton more as instruments and less as singers.

When you accept this, you not only realize how integral the vocals are to the overall musical presentation but that these are two of the most talented metal bands of all time.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #17 of 33
Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama album
Scar Symmetry - Any album, but their older stuff is more harsh than it is melodic vocally. Holographic Universe and Dark Matter Dimensions are more clean vocally.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try Every Time I Die.

when Keith is screaming, he's not really "screaming" but rather singer to a specific pitch. it's hard to explain but it is FAR more enjoyable and easy to listen to than your typical screaming.

+1 yeah i can actually understand what he's saying
seeing a picture of them is funny cause they look more like an alternative singer than metal
like on the zune marketplace it shows them in a dave & busters like place

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 33
This Daylight Dies album is damn awesome. I knew this thread would be worth it
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #20 of 33
The Thunder God by Amon Amarth?

I can't really remember if he goes into clean vocals much, or at all...been awhile since I've given a listen-- either way great album

I also have to second the vote for demon hunter; one of my favorite bands. For songs:

not ready to die
fading away
follow the wolves
thorns
sixteen

If I'm not mistaken that stuff is mostly clean vocals; most of their stuff with the harsher vocals are in their first two or three albums. And for a in your face your song go for storm the gates of hell.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This Daylight Dies album is damn awesome. I knew this thread would be worth it
biggrin.gif

Daylight Dies is great. If you like them, you will likely enjoy Dark Tranquility, Cult of Luna and Agalloch as others mentioned.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seeing a picture of them is funny cause they look more like an alternative singer than metal
like on the zune marketplace it shows them in a dave & busters like place

haha, i know, right? Keith (the singer) has like a Masters Degree in English and either was or was going to be a teacher. Jordan (guitarist) was in art school and dropped out for the band and also did all the artwork on the new album. Andy (the other guitarist) is a big lovable teddy bear and i believe has an advanced biology degree and is straightedge.

they are just a bunch of regular down to earth, laid back guys. you wouldnt think so listening to their music.

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Daylight Dies is great. If you like them, you will likely enjoy Dark Tranquility, Cult of Luna and Agalloch as others mentioned.

I'm willing to check out other Killswitch. What are their best albums?

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprisingly, no one has mentioned Akercocke yet. I recommend all of you guys who haven't heard of them to check out Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone, terrific album.

Knew I forgot one.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #27 of 33
You may also want to try "Silhouettes" by Textures.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, i know, right? Keith (the singer) has like a Masters Degree in English and either was or was going to be a teacher. Jordan (guitarist) was in art school and dropped out for the band and also did all the artwork on the new album. Andy (the other guitarist) is a big lovable teddy bear and i believe has an advanced biology degree and is straightedge.

they are just a bunch of regular down to earth, laid back guys. you wouldnt think so listening to their music.

Holy crap i didn't know that about them, their new album art is trippy, i first i thought it was somebody tearing of its skin then i noticed something then i just got confused and awed at the same time

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #30 of 33
also Amon Amarth(sp?) I don't think they use much, if at all clean vocals but the guys growly voice is fully prounced and in general pretty easy to understand, and it still sounds great(in the growly sense)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back