Metal or Plastic shell IEM

Metal or Plastic shell IEM

• Total voters
Apr 6, 2020 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Focux

1000+ Head-Fier
Which is more preferable to you?

i dislike the feel of plastic but the sheer weight of metal just weighs down after an hour or so of straight listening

what are you thoughts?

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 5
I think it highly depends on ergonomics. The Meze Rai Penta IEMs, for example, have aluminium shells but are incredibly ergonomic and comfortable and don't feel heavy at all.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't use them often but I have a pair of RHA MA 750s and they don't feel heavy. OTOH my old Dunu Tridents feel more solid and a bit heavy. If price is no factor then you should be able to get a metal bodied IEM that weighs nothing and is more durable than plastic.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Which is more preferable to you?

i dislike the feel of plastic but the sheer weight of metal just weighs down after an hour or so of straight listening

what are you thoughts?

Actually the more important factor is the ergonomics and design and of course the sound of the IEM!

The housing material probably has an effect on resonances and the sound of the IEM and is not there by mistake, but generally metal shells do give a more "premium" look, though some resin shells can look very beautiful and look a lot like custom IEMs.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 5
I think it highly depends on ergonomics. The Meze Rai Penta IEMs, for example, have aluminium shells but are incredibly ergonomic and comfortable and don't feel heavy at all.
Totally agreed with this. I have some metal shell IEMs, the fit is amazing while some of the plastic IEMs are giving me sub-par fit. Totally depends on ergonomics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back