Metal/Hard Rock for people who usually don't like heavy metal?
Aug 30, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik S.
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms, starring Maynard of Tool.

One of my favourite albums
smily_headphones1.gif

I second that...
("Mer De Noms" is the closest in style to Tool - one of my favourites too...)

Also worth trying their other two albums (also featuring Maynard of Tool)

Thirteenth' Step (also very good) -kind of "softer" Tool "clone"
Emotive (still good enough but less than the other two...)

Aug 30, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #17 of 32
This is only personal experience, though I easily recommend The Mars Volta for dabbing into metal (if you are a fan of the progressive rock genre, of course - they are complete unaccessible otherwise). Metallica, Megadeth, Scorpions, and Iron Maiden are great choices for just about anybody. They aren't too hard to get into and they all have tallented musicians.

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 32
I think System of a down's mexmerize, will get you into hard rock, and if you like them it will allow other metal and hard rock to become more accesible. Coming from techno you may like their song old school hollywood. Once you begin to like the rock sound you can move into iron maiden, mvp, judas priest...

Aug 30, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #19 of 32
You need one of each of the following:

Mudvayne
Dredg
Stabbing Westward

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 32
I'd have to say the two best bands (IMO) to check out would be are:

Nightwish
&
HIM

Reason for Nightwish is that its music is very smooth(almost relaxing) with a female vocalist that can sing better than pretty much anyone.

As for HIM, their music is just awesome. Most of their songs are actually love songs, or near enough too, just presented in heavy metal, 'Your Sweet 666' for example is an awesome song to check out.

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
You need one of each of the following:

Stabbing Westward

That group is metal/heavy rock? I had no idea, I have a track of them covering "Bizarre Love Triangle" from the soundtrack "Not another Teen Movie" and they seemed quite poppy.

Aug 31, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
That group is metal/heavy rock? I had no idea, I have a track of them covering "Bizarre Love Triangle" from the soundtrack "Not another Teen Movie" and they seemed quite poppy.

Depends on the album, if you like Chris Halls voice check out "Shame" or "Falls Apart" etc. from Wither, Blister, Burn & Peel or "save Yourself and other tracks from Darkest Days both are excellent. The last album they had before the breakup was more rock/metal meets pop... it was ok but did not compare to previous works.

Sep 18, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #24 of 32
omfgzorz you should try out Disturbed! (!) like a good 80% of their music is truly magikal and you will love it man (!) . they are thanx. ppl think they are no thanx, but they are really really thanx. their singer sings not shouts like most of today's sorry music such as linkin park. man ppl have poor taste these days, they are newbs. but you can be pro so check out Disturbed kthx byez! my first post btw but i have been reading these forums and every1 is awesome, every1 is pro. kbyez!

Sep 18, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #25 of 32
Titaniumx3 : You may have spotted the Opeth - Ghost Reveries thread that was active a while ago. That would definetly be something to look into. Not you "casual" metal, but very progressive and original.

Sep 18, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
omfgzorz you should try out Disturbed! (!) like a good 80% of their music is truly magikal and you will love it man (!) . they are thanx. ppl think they are no thanx, but they are really really thanx. their singer sings not shouts like most of today's sorry music such as linkin park. man ppl have poor taste these days, they are newbs. but you can be pro so check out Disturbed kthx byez! my first post btw but i have been reading these forums and every1 is awesome, every1 is pro. kbyez!

confused.gif
confused.gif

what just happened here?

Sep 18, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt

Very informative, I think i'll look for those
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #28 of 32
Hopefully you'll find something else in the heavy metal genre that you like besides Tool but there are so few bands that are even remotely close to the sound of Tool. Much like Pink Floyd, they're their own class. My suggestion, while not really heavy metal, is Radiohead's Amnesiac. It has a similar mood and quality, for me, that i get from Lateralus.

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Hopefully you'll find something else in the heavy metal genre that you like besides Tool but there are so few bands that are even remotely close to the sound of Tool. Much like Pink Floyd, they're their own class. My suggestion, while not really heavy metal, is Radiohead's Amnesiac. It has a similar mood and quality, for me, that i get from Lateralus.

Looks like I have to say one word again :

Opeth

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone

I know what you mean, they have fairly unique sound, its like they strike a perferct balance between the different qualities of heavy metal and prog rock; kinda like listening to perfectly balanced headphone!
smily_headphones1.gif
I mean "Stinkfist" from Ænima is just atrociously cool, even if I never listened to rock song in my life, I'd still love that track.

I've listened to "Mer De Noms" by A Perfect Circle and I really like what I'm hearing (especially the resemblance to Tool) though I think the mastering isn't as good and theres something lacking, not sure what it is though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back