Metal/Hard Rock for people who usually don't like heavy metal?
Aug 28, 2005 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

titaniumx3

500+ Head-Fier
I mainly listen to electronica based music and the odd jazz and rock artists/bands but I recently listenined to "Lateralus" by Tool and I am totally hooked. I usually hate the screaming and general wierdness but I just can't deny the music on its own is just freaking awesome. The roaring guitars and atmosphere has got me addicted. Can anyone recommend very similiar music?

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 32
check out The Painter's Palette' by Ephel Duath.

jazz metal in the truest sense of the term. they've got two vocalists, one clean and one for screaming duties, and there's a pretty even 50/50 split between the two.

it should be noted that i also am not a large fan of screaming and growling, but the music is just too cool to pass by on account of vocals.

Bubblemath and Freak Kitchen are two other extremely great bands you might want to look at.

Aug 28, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 32
Dream Theater and Nine Inch Nails.

And more Tool.
biggrin.gif
Aenima is a must-have.

Aug 28, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 32
Metallica's Black Album usually appeals to non-metal fans, while remaining a true metal album (their last).

I second the recommentdation for DT - no one can deny that they are metal, and that they are also really talented and write great music. I'd start with Live at Budokan.

Maybe Iron Maiden as a third choice.

Aug 28, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 32
i rarely listen to Heavy Metal myself, but i do love Iron Maiden and i tend to recommend them to anyone in the same boat.
the operatic vocals (actual singing instead of grunting), their knack of melodies, and amazing musicianship (love the signature twin guitar attack and two guitar solos) can be very appealing to people who are not too used to Heavy Metal.

Aug 28, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Metallica's Black Album usually appeals to non-metal fans, while remaining a true metal album (their last).

Go for this. Plus.....and justice for all. Listen to the drums.
basshead.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 32
Thanks for all the recommendations. Just around two years ago the only thing I was listening to was mainstream gangster rap
redface.gif
, not that its bad or anything but since I started to get into the whole sound quality craze I realised its way better to experience music in all its form than be constricted to same thing day in day out.

Not sure about the vocals but listening to metal is an immensely engaging experience, quite unique compared to alot of the other stuff I listen too. I use to always have this silly image in my head of some weirdo dressed in weird clothes who listened to metal but now I realise I was the weird one!

Aug 29, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 32
I'd have to put in a mention for Nightwish (the band that really got me back into metal after a four-year interlude of punk). I'd also suggest Within Temptation's latest album, [The Silent Force].
Those two bands, along with Lacuna Coil, are pretty much solely responsible for reinventing my musical taste (or at least, shifting it back to good metal).

Aug 29, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
I mainly listen to electronica based music and the odd jazz and rock artists/bands but I recently listenined to "Lateralus" by Tool and I am totally hooked. I usually hate the screaming and general wierdness but I just can't deny the music on its own is just freaking awesome. The roaring guitars and atmosphere has got me addicted. Can anyone recommend very similiar music?

I also prefer something "lighter" but recently I got Led Zeppelin box set that I'm just beginning to appreciate - well, everybody knows "Stairway To Heaven" but there is so much more... Besides, I like Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" and Metalica's "Metalica", "Master Of Puppets", "Ride The Lighting".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back