metal cans
Dec 24, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jexel

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of HD280 pros and I think they're worse than my $50 panasonics. I was hoping someone could recommend me a pair of headphones for metal music purposes. The parameters are: under $150 (I'm a broke student), REALLY closed (I like to kill my eardrums on the bus with no one knowing about it), comfortable circumaurals, doesn't require amping (meant for an mp3 player), and a small headband closer to the head than the hd280's (they pop out too far from the skull). Since they're meant for metal, I don't want anything high-end thats going to pick out flaws, so I need something warm and forgiving. Hope that helps with the choices and thanks in advance for your recommendations.

P.S. I used the generic term "metal" on purpose because I listen to a bunch of metal genres (classic, nu, core, speed, thrash, black, death, symphonic, progressive, etc).

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jexel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased a pair of HD280 pros and I think they're worse than my $50 panasonics. I was hoping someone could recommend me a pair of headphones for metal music purposes. The parameters are: under $150 (I'm a broke student), REALLY closed (I like to kill my eardrums on the bus with no one knowing about it), comfortable circumaurals, doesn't require amping (meant for an mp3 player), and a small headband closer to the head than the hd280's (they pop out too far from the skull). Since they're meant for metal, I don't want anything high-end thats going to pick out flaws, so I need something warm and forgiving. Hope that helps with the choices and thanks in advance for your recommendations.

P.S. I used the generic term "metal" on purpose because I listen to a bunch of metal genres (classic, nu, core, speed, thrash, black, death, symphonic, progressive, etc).

So you don't have an amp? And you haven't broken in the 280Ps...

If you're anxious to make up for your mis-decision on the 280Ps (No worries, accumulate more posts and sell them here
biggrin.gif
) then I'd second the Grado recommendation. No they're not totally closed, but they sound great with Nu metal.

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Don't go for grados if you dont want anyone else to hear what you listen to, they leak sound like speakers, really!. Honestly, according to your suggestions the best would be either some AKG DJ phones or if you are ready to go for IEM, the UE Super.fi 5 EB (Extended bass). Those IEM's will give you bass that competes with the DT-770's (which says a lot!). They are very warm, I think they would be perfect for your purposes.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 12
But what metal needs is not just warmth; prat, involving mids, sparkly trebles and the sense of excitement are just as important, if not more important. <$150 closed backs like the HD280 or the K81 is just not going to cut it compared to the SR80 or AD700. If you really want to stick to portable cans I think the ES7 will probably be your best option.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 12
You might also check out the Senn HD-25, it works well with rock music, the sound quality might not go as far as some other "portables" but everything else that it has going for it (isolation, sound leakage, dual headband for head banging) do make it an exceptional portable headphone.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jexel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd use the $50 Panasonics for the bus (or get a pair IEMs), sell the HD280 pros, and get a pair of Grados or Alessandro for home.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 12
Denon D1001s! After they break-in a bit, first. I prefer my Grados for metal, but A) they're not bad in any sense, and B) on the bus the D1001s do a great job of hiding what you're listening from others.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Sounds like IEM might be your best bet to me. Cause even closed on a bus won't isolate as much as you want them too.

Buses are just so loud and so are the people on them, trying to talk over the engine and street noises.

My 2 cents.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 12
I managed to get a pair of es7's and they do sound alot better than the hd280's. I was a little depressed about the non-circumaurals but I managed to snap on the earpad skeleton from the panasonics onto the es7 and then slide the panasonic pads over them. So now they sound good and they're comfy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back