Meta42 vs. Grado RA-1 REVIEW
Jul 23, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #46 of 69
Tangent,

none of the three chips are socketed, and... i'm not the safest of people to be around with a soldering iron... so, i'll leave everything as is...
wink.gif

Anyways... apologies for throwing this thread off course
redface.gif
redface.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

Anyways... apologies for throwing this thread off course
redface.gif
redface.gif

Well, thanks for commenting on my question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #49 of 69
If topic drift's a sin, we're all goin' to Hell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #51 of 69
I understood your humor, Morsel, and didn't take offense. The reason I responded as I did was to be teasing in kind. If I'd used emoticons, maybe my intent would have been more clear. But I couldn't because I'm a writer and smileys are against my religion. My words should be enough.

I appreciate your effort to be kind and reassuring, even to those you don't know. Empathy is a lost art. May you always stay in practice.

Jul 24, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #52 of 69
After listening to the Meta42 for a couple of hours now I think that this is a very good DIY portable amp. In comparison to the other DIY amp I have - the Apheared 47 - the Meta42 has more of a richness to it. It also has a lot more detail and clarity especially on top. The bass is a little better on the Meta42 but that difference was more subtle. My Meta42 amp came in the larger (5"x5"x1") PacTec case. It has Elna Cerfine caps, a 1/4" Neutrik headphone jack, gold plated RCAs, dual 9v batteries, rocker on/off switch, and a blue LED. It also has a pseudo Alps mini-stepped attenuator. The looks are plain jane but it works great. I would really like someone to make me an amp like the Grado RA-1 with wood sides but a glass top. I think that would look really cool.
biggrin.gif
I dont really have a complaint about the amp except the volume knob which is stepped seems to be kind of tight and I expect the amp to tip over when I change volume. It does give the amp a more solid feel though. Also, you have to unscrew the bottom of the case to change batteries. So, I'll need to carry a small screwdriver with me if I want to change batteries on the road. Now, if we could only work on a funkier case.
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #53 of 69
There are plenty of cases to choose from. You could pay someone to put your existing amp into a new enclosure, such as the extruded metal Hammond 1455. You can replace your budget $6 stepped attenuator with a $30 Alps Blue pot, which would have a silky feel and continuous adjustment range, but will probably not be as accurate at very low volume levels.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I would really like someone to make me an amp like the Grado RA-1 with wood sides but a glass top. I think that would look really cool.
biggrin.gif

Acid, thats a brilliant idea! Do you mind if I borrowed it?

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
After listening to the Meta42 for a couple of hours now I think that this is a very good DIY portable amp. In comparison to the other DIY amp I have - the Apheared 47 - the Meta42 has more of a richness to it. It also has a lot more detail and clarity especially on top. The bass is a little better on the Meta42 but that difference was more subtle. My Meta42 amp came in the larger (5"x5"x1") PacTec case. It has Elna Cerfine caps, a 1/4" Neutrik headphone jack, gold plated RCAs, dual 9v batteries, rocker on/off switch, and a blue LED. It also has a pseudo Alps mini-stepped attenuator. The looks are plain jane but it works great. I would really like someone to make me an amp like the Grado RA-1 with wood sides but a glass top. I think that would look really cool.
biggrin.gif
I dont really have a complaint about the amp except the volume knob which is stepped seems to be kind of tight and I expect the amp to tip over when I change volume. It does give the amp a more solid feel though. Also, you have to unscrew the bottom of the case to change batteries. So, I'll need to carry a small screwdriver with me if I want to change batteries on the road. Now, if we could only work on a funkier case.
wink.gif

Acid,

Which op-amp did you choose? Also, what is the name of the pseudo Alps stepped attenuator? Thanks.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru

Acid,

Which op-amp did you choose? Also, what is the name of the pseudo Alps stepped attenuator? Thanks.

They've been discussing it here in the DIY forum.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Acid, thats a brilliant idea! Do you mind if I borrowed it?

Pigmode, please send me a fee of $50 for this idea.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Which op-amp did you choose? Also, what is the name of the pseudo Alps stepped attenuator?

The opamp seems to be the AD823AN. You have to ask JMT about the stepped attenuator.

I'll try to post a couple of pics this weekend.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You can use polyglass (I think that what it's callled) you can cut this "glass" with a table-saw or hand-saw to any shape that you wish.

Can't find anything on it. Is it better than Polycarbonate?

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #60 of 69
Does anyone here know how much of an effect Elna Cerafines make on the sound versus other less expensive caps? Is it a minimal difference, as in it only helps, say, "the last 5%?"

Thanks.

Regards, Luke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back