Meta42 vs. Grado RA-1 REVIEW
Jul 22, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #31 of 69
After listening to the RA-1 at the show...I only got the sense that it was a very "average" amp. Wheter or not "neutrality" translates to just an "average" performance of everything...I'm not so sure.

Jul 22, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #33 of 69
Opamps are to some extent a matter of taste, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Tangent does the documentation for the META42 so the AD8610/20 do not get recommended on the website despite their real world popularity. We are hoping Tangent will emerge from the dark ages and see the light someday. Yes dear, I am teasing you.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by morsel
Tangent does the documentation for the META42 so the AD8610/20 do not get recommended on the website despite their real world popularity. We are hoping Tangent will emerge from the dark ages and see the light someday.

Your choice in pronouns makes it fairly obvious that I ought to have been invited to the coronation but wasn't and, in three choice words, mum, how dare you?

Anyway.

What I and my clan of tufted titmice were pondering was your use of the phrase "real world popularity." It sounds as if you might have a bit of real-world experience with op amps despite the various demands of your regal station. Care to elaborate?

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #35 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me

What the hell do you mean by that? Is the RA-1 a clear glass window where as the meta is a tinted one with holes in it!?
confused.gif

It means that the META has a warmer midrange, thus giving it a darker sonic character then the RA-1. Of course, this may not be a bad thing for you, if you perfer a warm midrange.

Jul 23, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I was actually confused as to why you say the RA-1 is more transparent yet META has more detail, that makes no sense to me.

Hopefully, this will help you understand these audiophile terms.

Take from Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary

Detail = The subtlest, most delicate parts of the original sound, which are usually the first things lost by imperfect components.

Transparency, Transparent =
1) A quality of sound reproduction that gives the impression of listening through the system to the original sounds, rather than to a pair of loudspeakers.
2) Freedom from veiling, texturing, or any other quality which tends to obscure the signal. A quality of crystalline clarity.

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:06 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Transparency, Transparent =
1) A quality of sound reproduction that gives the impression of listening through the system to the original sounds, rather than to a pair of loudspeakers.
2) Freedom from veiling, texturing, or any other quality which tends to obscure the signal. A quality of crystalline clarity.

That's how I'd describe the "sound" of the RA-1, in a nutshell. I can't find a particular sonic thumbprint with it.

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #39 of 69
Scrypt, I refer you to the DIY forum where opamps have been discussed since long before I showed up. I am teasing Tangent because of his reluctance to adopt the DIY favorite. Anyway, I don't want to beleaguer the point, it was meant to be humorous.

Jul 23, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #40 of 69
Damn You Audio Redneck, I hate you, I hate you!!!
wink.gif

Right, first off... after reading ARs plea for how the Sony V6 sound... I tested them out, and realised, that for now at least my ETYs do NOT give me the sound i'm after... sounding shrill... Oh well, time for the fixup adapter
frown.gif

Anyway, back to the point in hand... using the V6 to compare two different amps, CHA47 and META42, I find the bass to be richer on the CHA... more prenounced in that 'mid-bass' area, whereas the META appears to have a deeper bottom end... for dance music the CHA appears more complimentary, whereas for other genres, I believe the META to be more suitable...

In terms of midrange, to my ears at least, the CHA has the edge with the V6, sounding slightly warmer, more... erm, human ~ when it comes to vocals, and the treble... its warmer on the CHA, which isn't always a good thing... although probably is with the V6, where - if you're a bit too keen with the volume control, the META can sound a tad shrill

[size=x-small]BEFORE PEOPLE START FLAMING ME, THIS WAS A REQUEST TO TEST THE MDR-V6, AND OBVIOUSLY THE BALL-PARK CHANGES FROM HEADPHONE TO HEADPHONE[/size]
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #41 of 69
Duncan,

You don't give details, so I'm forced to guess, but it sounds to me like you're comparing a CHA47 with a Burr-Brown chip to a META42 with an Analog Devices chip. If you put a BB chip into the META42, you will get that bass warmth, too, at the expense of overall dynamics.

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
Duncan,

You don't give details, so I'm forced to guess, but it sounds to me like you're comparing a CHA47 with a Burr-Brown chip to a META42 with an Analog Devices chip. If you put a BB chip into the META42, you will get that bass warmth, too, at the expense of overall dynamics.

You're spot on there tangent
smily_headphones1.gif
(sorry for being vague)

as mentioned, this was not a criticism of the META, just purely stating that the V6 isn't necessarily the best match for it to my ears, with the CHA in the other hand... whereas, the Senns sound really great
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #45 of 69
Try putting one of the chips from the CHA47 into the META42 and see what you find, Duncan. You might be surprised.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back