META vs. Cosmic
Jul 4, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #31 of 36
Hey, I was just using it as an example, proof that it can sound good with crappy recordings as well. Yes I did listen to your Mahler, it's a good disc to test decay and tone, but overall I like to use my Beethoven 6th and Brahms trio as my test material.

Jul 4, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Wouldn't you change both the inner and outer loop resistors?

Absolutely not! Changing the inner loop would have very little effect on overall gain, and it would shift the bandwidth of the op-amp with each switch. Since you're only interested in gain, only the outside loop ratio must be changed.

We should take this discussion to the DIY forum if you have more questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 36
Hi Geom, I have just discovered Hedningarna, a wonderful Swedish/Finnish progressive folk rock techno world beat sort of group that uses highly unusual instruments ranging from digeridoo to Swedish bagpipes. If you have not heard it, listen to their album Kaksi. Great stuff!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #34 of 36
Morsel:

I like Hedningarna alot. I've got Kaksi and some other records from them.
Other great Swedish/Finnish bands that play that type of music is Garmarna and Varttina.
This type of music makes you want to jump up and dance.
Not good when you've got headphones on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
For 2 levels of gain, it's pretty inexpensive and straightforward: a DPDT switch, four resistors, and six wires. This is only about $5 in parts.

For 3 levels, you need a DP3T switch, six resistors and 8 wires. Parts are more like $20, and it might be difficult to solder 3 wires into one hole on the circuit board.

It would be better if the board had this feature on it, like Headroom's circuit boards undoubtedly do. I can't say I regret its lack, though.

Who needs a stinkin' switch? Socket the gain resistors and switch as needed.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
However, one clear advantage of the Cosmic is the nicer enclosure -- DIY efforts just can't achieve that kind of appearance.

Do I smell a challenge?
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back