Messed up my Altima today...
Oct 20, 2006 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

fr4c

Headphoneus Supremus
Stupid me, was trying to park in a parking garage today and swiped my back right door against one of the concrete pillars :smack: The door bumper was shaved off pretty bad, and the door is dented with white scratch marks. Also some paint on the door was taken off, to reveal a tanish underbody. I dont think it went through the metal. I'll post a few pictures later.

Does anyone know around how much it would cost to fix it?

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Stupid me, was trying to park in a parking garage today and swiped my back right door against one of the concrete pillars :smack: The door bumper was shaved off pretty bad, and the door is dented with white scratch marks. Also some paint on the door was taken off, to reveal a tanish underbody. I dont think it went through the metal. I'll post a few pictures later.

Does anyone know around how much it would cost to fix it?

What year Altima?

I had an '02 3.5 SE... interestingly enough in '04 I hit a concrete pillar as well... in a parking garage!

Except it hit my driver's side front fender, pushed in my driver's side mirror into my driver's side window and shattered the whole thing on my lap...

It was pretty much my first accident since I was 18 :knock on wood:

I can't remember the cost but it was in the thousands... sold that thing a couple months after.
lambda.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 29
ouch! i always look at the paint on those pillars and wonder who would hit them. The only time I've hit something while parking was in a company truck at work. I was backing it up to a doorway to unload some heavy sacks, so I tried to get it as close to the door as I could. I forgot the tailgate was down so I creamed the door.

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 29
uh oh...better get maaco...

...but not really they're terrible...serisouly that's too bad though. You're in Jersey right? I'd get it fixed asap before the snow comes and the salt trucks get at it...

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900
I hate that for you. I did a similar thing to my 280Z a LONG time ago. Was trying to park close so I wouldn't get a door ding
rolleyes.gif

o.gif
show me your 280z! (well, maybe PM me as not to hi-jack this thread)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 29
I slightly rubbed my right side passenger door against a pillar in a hospital parking lot when my wife's water broke 5 weeks early on a brand new Acura Integra. I know how it feels. It was only a 3 inch dent but cost $400 to fix because they had to repaint the whole door...and that was in 1990. It probably would cost $900 now.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 29
my wife got into a minicar accident with a furiniture truck that scrathced dented the rear door panel. 5500 is the bill (which insurance will cover most)...depending on your deductible and cost check it out whether it is worth having the insurance company involved. accidents arent cheap but my wife cousin's owns 2 body shops and the markup is not as much as a layperson would think

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 29
hey look at it this way...it could have been worse. There was a woman here who died about a year and a half ago when she was backing out of a parking spot at the univeristy hospital...she had her head out the window looking out when her head got pinched between the door frame and the pillar...they figure she panicked and hit the gas...end of story...

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
hey look at it this way...it could have been worse. There was a woman here who died about a year and a half ago when she was backing out of a parking spot at the univeristy hospital...she had her head out the window looking out when her head got pinched between the door frame and the pillar...they figure she panicked and hit the gas...end of story...

OMG

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 29
yeah I dont think the insurance company will cover it, since I did this myself. but right now i'm feeling pretty pissed off, since its a new car. on top of that, repair costs is really going to kill me, especially since i'm a college student on a tight budget. heres a few pics i took with my phone right after the mishap:

06-10-20_12-28.jpg

06-10-20_12-281.jpg

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 29
That's not going to be an expensive repair. I had a colleague who had a similar door accident, but he ratched it worse and the door panel had to be replaced. It was a recent Subaru and ended up costing him around $2200. In your case, there's no way they'll have to replace the door panel. This is a job for Bondo and new paint. You're looking at under $1000.

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 29
I'd say $1,200-$1,600 at a real body shop. Call your local Mercedes Dealer and see who they use, thats where you want to go, trust me. Make sure they use a quality paint like Glasurit, Sikkens or PPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back