Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
Jun 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #226 of 299
Hi Folks,

Based on the recent video review i pulled the trigger after receiving a faulty Chord Hugo.  While i liked the sound from the Hugo with my redbook Decca classical,  i am finding the Prime and the Prime PSU bests the Hugo.  Absolutely loving it.  Sitting listening to Strauss right this moment tapping my feet.  Best of all i am not having to upsample any of my redbook in software,  the DSP code on the Prime seems to do a brilliant job of getting the most out of the recordings.  Its that good that i've not even tried any 192KHz downloads yet.  As for the Chord,  i went to plug in for a second charge and the charge stopped working.  I also found a loose screw on the bottom of the casing.  I think the build quality of Meridian is better than the Hugo as well.

It's ashamed i was so late to get a decent DAC as I am saddened that in the past few weeks my best friend and HiFi buddy is terminally ill and will never get to hear the Prime on his system.  I will think of him while i enjoy our favourite classical music on the Meridian.  :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #227 of 299
If you are interested in the Prime just for a DAC, think of the Meridian Direct DAC (renamed from the Director). The Director has kind of fallen off the map, but I'm finding it to be basically end-game for me in my desktop system,
with a very natural sound and no digititus or glare. It's working very well with all the phones I'm thrown at it that can sometimes have some aggressive highs or over-plump bass.
These are the TH900, the LCD3, and the Grado GS1000i. (It's also superb with my PM-1.) 
I'm using a AQ Carbon USB cable.

I *think* the DAC in the Prime is the same as in the Direct, and I read here that one person subjectively thinks they sound equivalent.

The Direct has a fine amount of detail, and is great with vocals, with no grain, no upper-mid glare or shout (sometimes an issue on the TH900), but is not cloaked at all. 
I like the fact that Direct works with phones with all different signatures, bringing out the deep bass in the LCD3s, and bringing life and air into the PM-1,
taming the GS1000i highs just perfectly and firming up its bass nicely.

I guess this should be in the Director thread, but not too many people read that, and I think the Prime should have the same sonics (just guessing, but maybe some Meridian fans could confirm this, as I have not heard the Prime).

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #228 of 299
I use my prime 70% as a headphone amp via its rca ins and 30% as a dac. Truth be told I was not very impressed first round when I heard it via its dac section when compared to my Chord Hugo. 2nd listen via its analogue in was a whole different matter. The control of the prime in being so rhythmic and controlled in a sublime way made me sit up. Turning on its crossover implementation sealed the deal for me. I really recommend the prime as a strong contender for a headphone amp that drives full size cans well, with the crossover implementation, the dac section to me is purely a bonus and I use it sparingly.

On a side note, I find turning the stereo section off with the prime only driving 1 headphones lends a more sublime rhythmic drive that is readily apparent with percussive music .

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #231 of 299
I'm really enjoying the awesome Meridian Prime. Don't have the Power Supply Unit but starting to wonder what is it really for or why was made in such away. Is Meridian planning something more with their personal audio line? Because this somehow screams for a small amp to power bookshelf speakers or phono amp or....

B

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #232 of 299
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime? Which sounds the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer (not so much the recording)?

If wanting to hear presence that one can touch the singers voices and actually tell what technique he or she is using or maybe even visualize the amount of breath they are singing. Do you think the HD-800 headphones with the Meridian Prime and/or Chord Hugo is enough or should I opted for anouther headphone and amp.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #233 of 299
  Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime? Which sounds the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer (not so much the recording)?

If wanting to hear presence that one can touch the singers voices and actually tell what technique he or she is using or maybe even visualize the amount of breath they are singing. Do you think the HD-800 headphones with the Meridian Prime and/or Chord Hugo is enough or should I opted for anouther headphone and amp.

I think both are enough but if you want a very powerful amp, pairing Vioelectric V200 amp with a Meridian Director dac will also give you a very good sound and power to drive HD800s or any other headphones easily

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #234 of 299
 A good review, if someone is interested:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/meridian-prime-headphone-amplifier-prime-power-supply-review.html

I'm still really happy with mine. It rocks!

B

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #236 of 299
I couldn't hear a lot of difference with the PSU. Power here is pretty clean already. if there was any difference it was in the bass (tightness) but I wouldn't recommend it personally. That being said: it looks so cool as a combo

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #237 of 299
   A good review, if someone is interested:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/meridian-prime-headphone-amplifier-prime-power-supply-review.html

I'm still really happy with mine. It rocks!

B

Remember that you'll be paying for just 5% better sound, that is if your ears are sensitive enough to hear the difference. I'd rather buy Fostex TH900s instead.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #238 of 299
Well, I couldn't resist... just bought one PSU.

Holy cr*p! I though also just of about 5% improvement... but **"%*&4.. I would guess its close to 15-20%.

So, while it was about 900,- EUR... its worth quite a lot. Definitely on improvement in omph, and cripsness, sharpness..probably even claritiy.

Yep,
biggrin.gif

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back