Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
Jan 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #181 of 299
Very good.  Did you end up using the supplied 2.5mm power cord for the Prime or did it require the 2.1mm adapter?

Looking forward to your impressions. 
smile.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #182 of 299
  Very good.  Did you end up using the supplied 2.5mm power cord for the Prime or did it require the 2.1mm adapter?

Looking forward to your impressions. 
smile.gif

2.5mm power cord + the 2.1mm adapter.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #185 of 299
  Thanks... I guess Dusty's guess regarding the size of the center pin was accurate.

My head cold unfortunately evolved to a full blown flu.  The flu is definitely a much bigger enemy to hi-fi enjoyment than wall warts... 
triportsad.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #187 of 299

Having had both myself, I think I can attest to that although I suspect there are a few on this forum who might disagree. 
wink.gif

Get well soon!

I performed today some preliminary comparisons.  My head still feels a bit clogged from the flu, so I will be performing much more thorough tests when I get better.

Observations:

1.  The difference between using Meridian's wall wart and the CI Audio power supply are indeed very subtle.  The main differences I hear when using one sets of headphones (the Ultrasone8), was a slightly tighter and more defined bass in several of the tracks I used for testing.  I did not sense any major differences in the higher notes like cymbals.

2.  The difference was increased a notch when I plugged two sets of headphones at a volume level that was the maximum I could tolerate (about halfway in the volume dial).  The other headphones I connected was the Grado PS1000.  My guess is that the extra power requirement to drive two headphones at the same time created the extra advantage for the CI Audio power supply.  But again, the difference was evident only after performing several A/B comparisons, by switching the power supply as quickly as I could.   I was actually afraid to damage the amp after a few of these tests, so next time I do them, they would have to be after properly shutting the unit and powering it back again with the different power supplies.

My initial reaction is that the wall wart is more than capable of handling full sized headphones at great sound quality.  The CI Audio power supply provided more muscle for multiple headphone connectivity (not sure that's my use case) and an overall slight sound improvement.  Having said all that, I'm glad I got the CI Audio unit and it will be staying home with me for a long time.

My next set of full tests would involve comparing:
1.  Meridian Prime by itself
2.  Meridian Prime + iFi iUSBPower
3.  Meridian Prime + CI Audio
4.  Meridian Prime + iFi USBPower + CI Audio  (the configuration I'm currently enjoying)

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #188 of 299
Very interesting... and perhaps not that surprising. I'm also curious how much of a difference you perceive when adding the iFi unit to the otherwise "stock" Prime.

Thanks again!

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #189 of 299
Jan 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #190 of 299
  HI All,

I am offering a loaner program for the Meridian Prime. You can sign up here... http://www.head-fi.org/t/695778/meridian-prime-loaner-program

I think this unit sounds great and offers a lot. Here is your chance to try it and hear it for yourself...

Todd

Todd, I already own the Prime, and have been enjoying its gorgeous sound for almost a month.  Do you by chance have just the Meridian Power Supply for a standalone loaner so I can test and compare with my custom made mimic of the MPS?  As you can tell from this thread, there's a lot of discussion and questions related to the MPS, and how "optional" or not it is.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #194 of 299
Really interested in this as candidate for my first really serious and stay at home amp. But just one question: are people happy with having just the usb digital in and is it a problem that it's mini b? I didn't even know that high-definition was playable via usb (that's the level of my ignorance!)

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #195 of 299
I just purchased this combo, quite by coincidence!  I am glad that Jude hears what I felt to be the great performance of the pair.  I'm feeding it from my iTunes files played by PureAudio software, although it sounds best with upsampling turned off.  Meridian has some proprietary processing and doesn't need the features of PureAudio S/W.  Yet, I have files with multiple rates and depths, and PureAudio manages those changes well, outputting the native file rate of each file.  iTunes doesn't do that, although one can set Audio Midi Setup to 192k... but then you are listening to iTunes poor upsampling. 

Unfortunately, I am getting more ill (tumors in multiple bones and tissues, and spreading), and may not see the end of 2014, or even 6 months from now.  But the gear is giving me lots of pleasure and didn't break the bank. Indulge while I can! 

Even sooner, I might lose hearing due to the most aggressive chemo that they have in their arsenal. Very ototoxic.  It starts with treble and goes from there... and there is also the possibility of sudden hearing loss.  

I would welcome volunteers interested to buy this pair when my future-widow get stuck selling off my gear.  Send me a PM if you don't mind waiting until "I'm done" with them. Lots of other stuff (RSA SR-71B, Arrow 4G, HD650 with 2 Cardas cables—one balanced for the RSA—and tons of accessories and records/SACDs etc.  I can't bring myself to spend my last weeks selling stuff!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back