Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #301 of 1,003
  Hello, I've read this whole entire thread and was ready to start shopping for a Meridian Explorer 2 + Schiit Wyd to connect to my Sennheiser Momentum 2's until I read the last few posts that threw a last minute curve ball stating that the Apogee Groove is better. I see the Apogee Groove is literally the same price and now my world is falling back apart after reading DAC/Amp reviews for weeks. (I thought I finally found the end all.) Anyone here think either one is better to pair with Sennheiser Momentum 2s?

FYI - Geekout v2 is out and no reviews on that yet. Anyone here just waiting on that? I seen some GO questions in this thread but no replies.

Last question - Anyone know any sales going on to get E2 or Groove for under MSRP ($299)? Be nice to save a few bucks heh

You really cannot go wrong, especially on a first try basis with the Meridian Explorer.

That being said, as you move up the "food chain", picking headphones that are a little harder or a little more tricky to drive, the Apogee Groove will likely drive them better. Or, you can buy an external amplifier, and connect it to the line-out of the Meridian Explorer to your amp.

As I understand it, Sennheiser Momemtum is supposed to be portable and easy to drive - it should work well with the Meridian Explorer.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #302 of 1,003
Folks!

Don't let too much of what you read on Head-Fi drive you bonkers. Some of this you just need to trial and find out for yourself. You cannot learn it all just by reading it.

Yes, a schiit wyrd and the difference isn't a small one. No way would I part with this combo. The power supply transforms the Explorer into something very special. Or, save yourself some money and buy a powered USB hub which will have the same affect ! 

For example, the above is something I had to try for myself - and loved it!

Would I say a first-time user is required to get an external USB power source - no, of course not! The Meridian will still make good sound straight from the USB connection on your laptop/desktop computer.

Will it make a discernible difference to the sound of the Explorer - definitely 
L3000.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #303 of 1,003
  You really cannot go wrong, especially on a first try basis with the Meridian Explorer.

That being said, as you move up the "food chain", picking headphones that are a little harder or a little more tricky to drive, the Apogee Groove will likely drive them better. Or, you can buy an external amplifier, and connect it to the line-out of the Meridian Explorer to your amp.

As I understand it, Sennheiser Momemtum is supposed to be portable and easy to drive - it should work well with the Meridian Explorer.

Thanks sheldaze! I know you have the Sennheiser 650's which are up on the "food chain". Do you know if the Groove can drive them just fine? If so, I guess that will make my decision :)

Folks!

Don't let too much of what you read on Head-Fi drive you bonkers. Some of this you just need to trial and find out for yourself. You cannot learn it all just by reading it.

For example, the above is something I had to try for myself - and loved it!

Would I say a first-time user is required to get an external USB power source - no, of course not! The Meridian will still make good sound straight from the USB connection on your laptop/desktop computer.

Will it make a discernible difference to the sound of the Explorer - definitely 
L3000.gif

Is it a general rule of thumb to provide a usb power source to anything coming out of your computer and into a dac? Does this only apply to portable dac/amps like explorer2 and groove? What about a Marantz hd-dac1? If the Marantz doesn't need a USB power source then is there something to look at in the hardware specs that will give this away?

Thanks and sorry for the silly noob questions :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #304 of 1,003

Thanks sheldaze! I know you have the Sennheiser 650's which are up on the "food chain". Do you know if the Groove can drive them just fine? If so, I guess that will make my decision :)

Is it a general rule of thumb to provide a usb power source to anything coming out of your computer and into a dac? Does this only apply to portable dac/amps like explorer2 and groove? What about a Marantz hd-dac1? If the Marantz doesn't need a USB power source then is there something to look at in the hardware specs that will give this away?

Thanks and sorry for the silly noob questions :)

No such thing as silly noob questions 
tongue.gif

And yes! Absolutely! Definitely - the Groove will drive the HD650 quite nicely!

On the topic of USB power, your mileage will vary - greatly. If you read through the thread on the Schiit Wyrd, you'll find the majority of the people not hearing much of anything. However if you read this thread and start looking at some of the things @Pedro83 and others have said, I think you'd conclude there's a lot of value added to the Meridian products by including a clean USB power source. Meridian even includes the power source at the higher end of their personal product line - a very cheap one with their Director, and an optional one costing $1250 with their Prime.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #305 of 1,003
  Hello, I've read this whole entire thread and was ready to start shopping for a Meridian Explorer 2 + Schiit Wyd to connect to my Sennheiser Momentum 2's until I read the last few posts that threw a last minute curve ball stating that the Apogee Groove is better. I see the Apogee Groove is literally the same price and now my world is falling back apart after reading DAC/Amp reviews for weeks. (I thought I finally found the end all.) Anyone here think either one is better to pair with Sennheiser Momentum 2s?

FYI - Geekout v2 is out and no reviews on that yet. Anyone here just waiting on that? I seen some GO questions in this thread but no replies.

Last question - Anyone know any sales going on to get E2 or Groove for under MSRP ($299)? Be nice to save a few bucks heh

heheh I had exactly the same issue, except I dont have momentum.

Welcome to head-fi I guess?

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #306 of 1,003
  You're welcome.

You can't replace or roll the Vali's tube. If they ever die, you'd need to send it back to Schiit and have them replace it for you. I think the lifespan of the Vali's tube lasts a very, very long time. Check out the Vali thread and ask for the specifics.

Hi, I am conesidering buying Schiit Vali or Magni 2 Uber. I'd like to know how I can use Meridian Explorer 2 with Schiit amp products together with Sennheiser HD700. Are there cables that I need to  connect  Meridian Explorer 2 with Schiit amp products when there's L and R intput/ output on Schiit amps?

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #307 of 1,003

heheh I had exactly the same issue, except I dont have momentum.

Welcome to head-fi I guess?

Haha word. I just bit the bullet and ordered the Apogee Groove because I couldn't find 1 bad thing about it and they have a great reputation in professional audio industry. Only positive reviews. I ordered it from B&H so worst case I can return it but I'm feeling pretty confident in it due to the reviews I've read... And I stopped reading to not confuse myself anymore hahah.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #308 of 1,003

Haha word. I just bit the bullet and ordered the Apogee Groove because I couldn't find 1 bad thing about it and they have a great reputation in professional audio industry. Only positive reviews. I ordered it from B&H so worst case I can return it but I'm feeling pretty confident in it due to the reviews I've read... And I stopped reading to not confuse myself anymore hahah.

Good plan - read some, but not too much. I think I'm a little guilty of reading too much
tongue.gif

Would be very interested, if you are subscribed to the Groove thread, of reading your comments there regarding the Groove.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #309 of 1,003
Aug 4, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #310 of 1,003
Are there any ways I could connect Meridian Explorer 2 with Schiit amp products like Magni 2 uber or Vali? I see on youtube that you have to buy RCA?cables but there seems to be some type of cable in this one 2 by 2 and 2 by 1 cable.
Would these be appropriate cables connect to Meridian Explorer 2?

1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QJUSA?psc=1

2. http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Adapter-palicass-ZY-022-1M/dp/B00A2QK25A/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1438662397&sr=8-21&keywords=rca+adapter+cable&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

3. http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YDUZ22/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1438662397&sr=8-29&keywords=rca+adapter+cable&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

if so, please suggest a great cable brand,product  I could use to connect both DAC and amp

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #311 of 1,003
  Are there any ways I could connect Meridian Explorer 2 with Schiit amp products like Magni 2 uber or Vali? I see on youtube that you have to buy RCA?cables but there seems to be some type of cable in this one 2 by 2 and 2 by 1 cable.
Would these be appropriate cables connect to Meridian Explorer 2?

1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QJUSA?psc=1

2. http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Adapter-palicass-ZY-022-1M/dp/B00A2QK25A/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1438662397&sr=8-21&keywords=rca+adapter+cable&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

3. http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YDUZ22/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1438662397&sr=8-29&keywords=rca+adapter+cable&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

if so, please suggest a great cable brand,product  I could use to connect both DAC  and amp

Yes, these are the right cables, connect it through the combined line out.

Considering brands, these cables are more than enough, they seem to be sturdy enough.
But here some brands: Audioquest
Cardas
Plussound (custom)
Toxic (custom)
German High End (expensive)

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #312 of 1,003
  Hi, I am conesidering buying Schiit Vali or Magni 2 Uber. I'd like to know how I can use Meridian Explorer 2 with Schiit amp products together with Sennheiser HD700. Are there cables that I need to  connect  Meridian Explorer 2 with Schiit amp products when there's L and R intput/ output on Schiit amps?

I'm using these cables to connect my Explorer² to Vali: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI89MSM

I've posted pictures of how it looks in my first post of this thread. It's also my avatar pic.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #313 of 1,003
Hi all - can anyone confirm whether the Exploreruses the same TI PCM5102 DAC chip that the original Explorer did? I couldn't find the info on Meridian's site or through a variety of searches.

I'm interested in the product, but would like to stay away from Sabre DACs because I'm sick of them. 
L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #314 of 1,003
Can anyone advise whether the Explorer2 and the Beyer T90 would be a good pairing. I find the Meridian sound on the warm side, but not too warm. I am concerned whether the Explorer's 130mW is enough for the T90's 250 ohm resistance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA ! :)  

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #315 of 1,003
  Hi all - can anyone confirm whether the Exploreruses the same TI PCM5102 DAC chip that the original Explorer did? I couldn't find the info on Meridian's site or through a variety of searches.

I'm interested in the product, but would like to stay away from Sabre DACs because I'm sick of them. 
L3000.gif

I too cannot find the exact chip specs. But I think you should have no concerns regarding any of the Meridian products. They use proprietary processing techniques. You will not find any of the harshness or ringing that exists in the Sabre chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back