Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #286 of 1,003
I just bought a Sennheiser HD 700 Headphones and I need know how my Meridian Explorer can provide sound performance for this headphone. Since the headphone is 150ohm, I want know if I have other options to hear the sound which HD700 can provide. I can see Geek out 1000, Schiit Vali, um.... How do I calculate and know the limit of a DAC's capability for heapdphone ohm. Also I have never used a tube AMP so I would at least need a guidance for that kind of field. I would appreciate your help and experience to let figure out my curiosity.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #287 of 1,003
  I just bought a Sennheiser HD 700 Headphones and I need know how my Meridian Explorer can provide sound performance for this headphone. Since the headphone is 150ohm, I want know if I have other options to hear the sound which HD700 can provide. I can see Geek out 1000, Schiit Vali, um.... How do I calculate and know the limit of a DAC's capability for heapdphone ohm. Also I have never used a tube AMP so I would at least need a guidance for that kind of field. I would appreciate your help and experience to let figure out my curiosity.

If you take a look at the first page of this thread, you would see that I posted feedback and pictures of my setup. 

I use Meridian Explorer² as the DAC and Schiit Vali as the amp for HD700. Everything works great together and I have no complaints. 

E² amp is capable of driving the HD700, but I prefer Vali more. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #288 of 1,003
  If you take a look at the first page of this thread, you would see that I posted feedback and pictures of my setup. 

I use Meridian Explorer² as the DAC and Schiit Vali as the amp for HD700. Everything works great together and I have no complaints. 

E² amp is capable of driving the HD700, but I prefer Vali more. 

Thank you so much for the help. Actually you're the one who helped me buy Meridian Explorer². Oh, I didn't know Meridian Explorer² could handle 150ohm headphone. Or is it like it can handle the headphone on some portion, not close to its full potential. I never used a tube amp and I wonder if I am capable of exchanging the tubes. I don't know the timing to replace the tubes.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #289 of 1,003
  Thank you so much for the help. Actually you're the one who helped me buy Meridian Explorer². Oh, I didn't know Meridian Explorer² could handle 150ohm headphone. Or is it like it can handle the headphone on some portion, not close to its full potential. I never used a tube amp and I wonder if I am capable of exchanging the tubes. I don't know the timing to replace the tubes.

You're welcome.

You can't replace or roll the Vali's tube. If they ever die, you'd need to send it back to Schiit and have them replace it for you. I think the lifespan of the Vali's tube lasts a very, very long time. Check out the Vali thread and ask for the specifics.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #290 of 1,003
  You're welcome.

You can't replace or roll the Vali's tube. If they ever die, you'd need to send it back to Schiit and have them replace it for you. I think the lifespan of the Vali's tube lasts a very, very long time. Check out the Vali thread and ask for the specifics.

Wow, I'm kinda glad that they take care of tubes by providing service. But, I live out of the U.S. and that would be a bit of problem when the product goes wrong. Aside from that, I can see that Vali is a one the great choices for choosing AMPs in that range of price.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #292 of 1,003
Is Explorer 2 better than iBasso R10 and Apogee Groove in terms of sound quality?

Can I ask what the application is?

The Meridian is certainly not going to be as portable as the iBasso R10.

The Meridian amplifier is adequate for some headphones, but it does not drive headphones as well as the Apogee Groove, which in my experience drives headphones of many different sonic signatures, from thin through veiled, all to sound more detailed across the full frequency spectrum. However the Meridian can be used as just a DAC, which allows for you to substitute the internal amplifier for your own dedicated amplifier in home usage.

I think it depends more on how you plan to use the product in terms of how it will compare with the other two options.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #293 of 1,003
I have Samsung Note 4 which canrun Meridian Explorer 2 and Groove DAC.
All I want to know is their sound quality comparison.

Is groove better than explorer 2?is R10 better than the both in terms of SQ?

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #294 of 1,003
Groove definitely bests the Explorer2 in terms of detail, and in terms giving a bass-shy headphone as much bass as possible - or a relaxed headphone, as much high frequency detail as possible. However, if your headphones already have a good balanced sound, or your headphones simply do not require much power to drive, I think the Meridian has a very nice sound. I think the sound quality of the Meridian is better, for an easily driven, already pretty good sounding, balanced headphone.

Sorry, I have not heard the R10.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #296 of 1,003
Thanks, so Groove is the winner.

Definitely. I have a lot of personal love for the Meridian. But the Groove is a professional product, and it shows. I sometimes find myself looking for the metered outputs on the wrong amp :D

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #297 of 1,003
Still no comparisons to Geek out?

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #298 of 1,003

I just got an Explorer2 a few days ago, and have been giving it a listen.  I've mostly been using it plugged into the little minijack "A2" input of a Meridian Prime, comparing the Explorer2 as a DAC to the Prime's built-in DAC and to a Schiit Bifrost (the latter with the latest audio and USB boards).  Where it gets weird is that I'm most often not using headphones plugged into the Prime;  I'm using the Prime as a linestage which drives a little Parasound power amp, which in turn drives a pair of Audience's The One speakers.  So my setup is kinda weird, and your mileage on entirely different roads may be seriously different.

Plugged directly into a USB port on a Mac Mini, the Explorer2 sounded a lot like the Prime's DAC, but lighter-weight.  It was genuinely pleasant, but wasn't up to the standard I was used to.

Plugged into a Schiit Wyrd, the Explorer fleshed out and started to sound shockingly much like the Prime's DAC section.  I highly recommend that combination.  I haven't tried any other flavor of USB cleaner-upper/power-supply replacement with the Explorer2.

Comparing the Bifrost...  I continue to respect it, and for all I know is may be more "correct" in some sense, but I tend to find myself preferring the Meridian D/As for the music I've been listening to most these days - mostly jazz.  The Meridian sound feels more organic to me;  when I switch to the Bifrost, it's as if somebody switched on a light with slightly too high a color temperature for the atmosphere in the club I've been in.  I've been finding the sound of both Meridian DACs more engagingly musical to me, and I listened to the Explorer2 quite happily.  I could listen to it as a line-level-output DAC long-term without feeling I was deprived.  I'm seriously impressed with it for the price - although I'd recommend budgeting another hundred bucks for a Wyrd.

I haven't done enough listening to the E2 driving headphones directly to pass judgement on its chops there.

And I fully acknowledge that my Meridian-vs-Schiit impressions here may be influenced by the greater amount of time I've spent listening via the Prime's DAC than via the Bifrost, and whatever acclimation may have happened because of that.  May be.

+ 1 on the Schiit Wyrd. Transforms both Explorer 1 and 2 massively. Anyone with an explorer should strongly consider it, or, cheaper a USB hub, which to me ears has the same impact. A huge improvement. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #299 of 1,003
  Curios if anyone is using a USB power isolator with his/her Explorer?  I've gone back and forth on the idea, but don't want to waste my hard earn coin.  Thanks in advance.

Yes, a schiit wyrd and the difference isn't a small one. No way would I part with this combo. The power supply transforms the Explorer into something very special. Or, save yourself some money and buy a powered USB hub which will have the same affect ! 

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #300 of 1,003
Hello, I've read this whole entire thread and was ready to start shopping for a Meridian Explorer 2 + Schiit Wyd to connect to my Sennheiser Momentum 2's until I read the last few posts that threw a last minute curve ball stating that the Apogee Groove is better. I see the Apogee Groove is literally the same price and now my world is falling back apart after reading DAC/Amp reviews for weeks. (I thought I finally found the end all.) Anyone here think either one is better to pair with Sennheiser Momentum 2s?

FYI - Geekout v2 is out and no reviews on that yet. Anyone here just waiting on that? I seen some GO questions in this thread but no replies.

Last question - Anyone know any sales going on to get E2 or Groove for under MSRP ($299)? Be nice to save a few bucks heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back