Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #211 of 1,003

Music player vs USB Audio Player Pro (free trial)
I notice that my E2 has 3 lights on when using the Music player and only 1 with the Player Pro. I believe it's the upscaling feature of the E2 with 3 lights on. I was hoping there wouldn't be a difference since I don't want to get a new app nor pay for it, but there is. The audio difference is somewhat similar to changing my E2 settings from 16 bit to 24 bit in my desktop computer. FLAC files also sound better using the Player Pro.

From what I've read here and in other reviews (not from Meridian, who has supplied virtually no information on the website or in the included "manual") the lights show the status of the incoming signal, not the output.  The Explorer2 upscales all input, but the lights show only the input.  So if the source is feeding the Explorer2 standard 44.1/16 CD redbook files, then only one light will illuminate.  If the source is feeding it higher sampling rates and bit depth, whether that's what the file actually has or what the player/computer is upscaling, then the other lights will illuminate.  So if your source software or hardware is doing the upsampling, that's not what you want to happen.  The lights should illuminate past 1 LED only if the native file is truly of higher resolution than CD-quality.

For example, I'm playing uncompressed AIFF files ripped to my MacBook Pro from CDs.  If I use iTunes alone to play, and set Audio Midi Setup to a higher sample rate and bit depth than 44.1/16, then the second and third LEDs will light up on the Explorer2, but that only shows that my computer has changed the file structure.  If I use Audirvana in iTunes integrated mode, Audirvana will change the Audio Midi Setup and bypass the internal card, passing the CD-quality file to the Explorer2 without processing by the laptop.  

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #212 of 1,003

From what I've read here and in other reviews (not from Meridian, who has supplied virtually no information on the website or in the included "manual") the lights show the status of the incoming signal, not the output.  The Explorer2 upscales all input, but the lights show only the input.  So if the source is feeding the Explorer2 standard 44.1/16 CD redbook files, then only one light will illuminate.  If the source is feeding it higher sampling rates and bit depth, whether that's what the file actually has or what the player/computer is upscaling, then the other lights will illuminate.  So if your source software or hardware is doing the upsampling, that's not what you want to happen.  The lights should illuminate past 1 LED only if the native file is truly of higher resolution than CD-quality.

I'm glad you like it. I do too...

But if you have some time, I would still suggest doing a little listening at the 44.1/48kHz sample rate. By inputting the higher rate data into the Meridian, you're bypassing the Meridian processing. For some RedBook CD material, I have enjoyed the 44.1kHz rate for sound that wasn't particularly well recorded. And I definitely like 48kHz for streaming videos such as YouTube. The Meridian processing really takes things that aren't that listenable into a new category of sound that I find to be quite alright.

But for the best recorded music, definitely rock out, as you're doing, at the full 24-bit resolution and high sample rates. Enjoy!

I reread the entire thread and I finally understand what you two are saying. I was indeed bypassing the E2 processing and having Windows do the upscaling. I just installed foobar + wasapi. All I can say is..

Holy mother of ... I deserve multiple beatings
deadhorse.gif

size]
size]

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #214 of 1,003
hey my explorer2 suddenly stopped working after three weeks, it's a bumb for such a expensive device, anyobdy has an idea of how to fix it? i live in Perú, such a defective device, i read a review in amazon of a guy to whom hapened the same and i ignored it, terrible mistake

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #215 of 1,003

That's a warranty issue you have to explore with Meridian and your dealer.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #216 of 1,003
ye i wrote meridian a couple of times, no answer, i will contact the seller (audio advisor) to see what happens, the problem is that i bought it in the U.S and bring it back home (perú) 

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #217 of 1,003
popcorn.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #218 of 1,003
I don't have a Modi2, but IMO the Explorer2 surpasses the original Modi (speaking purely DAC vs. DAC, of course). And, honestly, I'm surprised that I like the Explorer2 so much, given that I'm generally anti-upsampling. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #219 of 1,003

For example, I'm playing uncompressed AIFF files ripped to my MacBook Pro from CDs.  If I use iTunes alone to play, and set Audio Midi Setup to a higher sample rate and bit depth than 44.1/16, then the second and third LEDs will light up on the Explorer2, but that only shows that my computer has changed the file structure.  If I use Audirvana in iTunes integrated mode, Audirvana will change the Audio Midi Setup and bypass the internal card, passing the CD-quality file to the Explorer2 without processing by the laptop.  

Meridian told me spotify is upsampled with the E2, but they didn't state to what. 16/44 I suspect. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #221 of 1,003
Is anyone here using their E2 with their phone? I'm wondering if anyone gets a very short static-y sound once in a while (~.25 sec bzzt)? I've only noticed it now since I rarely use it with my phone. I have mine attached to a Note 4. 

UPDATE: I tried using the airplane mode thinking it could be signal interference. Turned off wifi too. Used different music players and volume levels. Plugged in external battery to power up the E2. Still happens randomly. I'll try a different phone and see if it still happens. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #222 of 1,003
NOTE:  After writing this post I realized that my Foobar equalizer was enabled with boost to the treble and reductions to the bass, so pretty much ignore my post here - I will re-post my impressions of the Explorer2 in a few days!  Sorry for the confusion...

I wanted to post my impressions of my Explorer2…(and I hardly ever post on any forums!)

I typically split my listening time between a Burson Conductor SL and a Korg DSDAC100M (the underrated Korg can be had for around $230 on Amazon). 

The Burson and the Korg are actually pretty similar sound-wise – both offer superbly neutral and natural sound.  I bought the Korg for DSD playback but the more I use the Korg, the more I actually prefer it to the Burson.  So, it goes without saying that the Korg represents not only a bargain vs the Burson but also a great DAC to compare to the similarly-priced Explorer2.

(I bought the Explorer2 to support future Meridan MQA decoding and in particular Tidal streaming, so it was not bought to replace either my Burson or the Korg as I am completely satisfied with both of those DACs.

Using the Explorer2 in bit-perfect mode (Foobar 2000 with WASAPI) I find it a bright sounding DAC.  Even when used with cans that have a rolled-off treble response, the Explorer2 brings 'em back to life and with vigor.  (Probably a little too much vigor.)   Using the oversampling mode doesn't take the edge off.  Think mid-80s CD sound...

BUT...definition and resolution is incredibly razor sharp and I mean razor friggin’ etched sharp.  Strings and cymbals cut like a knife.  The low end is good but not great.  The mids extraordinary.  So, to my ears, the Explorer2 is lean and bright - and  I am matching my headphones accordingly.  There is no way I would even try using it with some of my brighter cans like my Beyer DT880s or B&O H6s and the brightness simply overwhelms my fast and articulate Magnepan .7 speakers.  Right now, my Denon AH-D600s are tolerable with the Explorer2 but still fairly bright which is very uncharacteristic of the Denons.

The headphone power output is excellent from the Explorer2, so I suspect that this DAC would be a great match for cans that are slightly dark or soft on top and also require some juice to get going.  (Hmmm....sounds like Sennheisers might be a wonderful fit!)

I have only listened about 20 hours so far with the Explorer2 so if there is such a thing as a break-in period with it, I will definitely report back with my findings (I've never experienced sonic differences with solid state audio gear over time, but I'm open to it).

Just my 0.99 cents…

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #223 of 1,003
I don't think there's a burn in period with Explorer².

I also don't find it overly bright. I use the Explorer²'s DAC + amp mainly with my A900X, ESW9A, and Miles Davis Tribute. They pair perfectly with those headphones and IEM, bringing out their full potential. Great soundstage, extremely detailed, tons of clarity, and authoritative, clear, punchy bass. 

For some reason, my Triple Fi 10s do not pair well with the E². They sound strange and totally messed up. Might have something to do with BA drivers or TF10's reaction to E²'s headphone out. I only use my TF10s with my LG G2 these days anyway.

My HD700 sounds good with E²'s DAC + amp, but I prefer to use my Vali as the amp and use the E² as only the DAC, using the E²'s analogue output. Vali provides a lot more power and tames the HD700's treble better than E²'s amp.

The E²'s analogue out also works great with externals speakers.

E² may not be perfect or the best solution for every headphone and IEM out there, but overall, Explorer² is a very versatile, portable, and great-sounding DAC/amp.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #224 of 1,003
100% agree with your comments regarding the soundstaging, extreme detail, clarity, etc.  I am definitely keeping it despite my comments regarding the perceived brightness.

Really, a huge plus for the Explorer2 is MQA - I am very eager to explore that (pun intended!) as it may have a big impact on our hobby so I am patiently waiting for MQA recordings to be formally released.  I have high hopes!

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #225 of 1,003
I'm sensitive to brightness and harsh treble, I sold my Chord Hugo because of that. The lean and bright sound, despite all the great resolution and timing qualities of that dac/amp, was unbearable. I find Explorer2 to be very neutral and transparent, letting the headphones sound exactly the way they should in their true character. I don't think it's bright, but it's easy to mistake it as such because most amps on the market have a warm/dark character that colours the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back