Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #168 of 1,003
is it worth selling my explorer 1 on ebay to upgrade to this? would it be worth the bother?

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #169 of 1,003
  is it worth selling my explorer 1 on ebay to upgrade to this? would it be worth the bother?

Definitely. The sound is tighter and more neutral, also output impedance is much lower (0.47 ohm). If you prefer warmer sound, stay with Explorer 1.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #171 of 1,003
I am picking up a decent amount of background noise on the e2 with my im70 (12 ohms), even my on-board audio has less noise than e2.
It has roughly same amount of noise as the old explorer, which snr is roughly 104db according to this website: http://lhlabs.com/force/geekout/898-geek-out-vs-the-others-3rd-installment. I believe that is pretty good though. 
My MSI z97 gaming 5 motherboard features a USB with dedicate "audio power", which supposedly provides clean USB power, but it doesn't help.

I didn't pick up noise while using XBA-H3 on a PHA-1, which is 16 ohms with a snr 96db source, with a different computer though.

Now I am not sure if the noise is a problem of my computer or e2. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #172 of 1,003
  I am picking up a decent amount of background noise on the e2 with my im70 (12 ohms), even my on-board audio has less noise than e2.
It has roughly same amount of noise as the old explorer, which snr is roughly 104db according to this website: http://lhlabs.com/force/geekout/898-geek-out-vs-the-others-3rd-installment. I believe that is pretty good though. 
My MSI z97 gaming 5 motherboard features a USB with dedicate "audio power", which supposedly provides clean USB power, but it doesn't help.

I didn't pick up noise while using XBA-H3 on a PHA-1, which is 16 ohms with a snr 96db source, with a different computer though.

Now I am not sure if the noise is a problem of my computer or e2. 

I have had similar problems with my IEMs. The noise reminds me of on-board audio interference. It seems directly related to the length of the USB cable I use with the DAC, regardless of cable quality. I have lodged an enquiry with Meridian two weeks ago but they are yet to reply...

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #173 of 1,003
Wondering how good the cable did you try it with?  $100 audioquest? XD
I tried with other computers, didn't solve the problem.
I guess explorer isn't for sensitive iems.
I am gonna switch to the good old jdslab c5d, after some research, I think it is pretty good for my taste being neutral to warm and no noise with sensitive iems. Though I am most like going to prefer meridian's sound with higher impedance headphones.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #174 of 1,003
Wondering how good the cable did you try it with?  $100 audioquest? XD
I tried with other computers, didn't solve the problem.
I guess explorer isn't for sensitive iems.
I am gonna switch to the good old jdslab c5d, after some research, I think it is pretty good for my taste being neutral to warm and no noise with sensitive iems. Though I am most like going to prefer meridian's sound with higher impedance headphones.

Wireworld ultraviolet. The noise is audible even during quiet moments of music, disappointing.

PM sent with recommendations...

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #175 of 1,003
I can also hear hissing with Earsonics Velvet. Didn't hear it with SM64 (much harder to drive). It's disappointing indeed.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #177 of 1,003
  Hi All

Has anyone compared the Explorer 2 with the iFI Micro iDSD? I have Sennheiser HD650's that are supposed to be hard to drive.

Regards

Darren

You do know the explorer outputs 130mw into 32 ohms, the nano only 80mw IIRC. If this is correct, i'd be buying the Explorer. That said, i've tried 650 with Benchmark DAC which didn't get that much from the 650's -  I'd perhaps look at the geeked out products which really excel when it comes to output. the 650 can sound too veiled without enough power. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #178 of 1,003
  You do know the explorer outputs 130mw into 32 ohms, the nano only 80mw IIRC. If this is correct, i'd be buying the Explorer. That said, i've tried 650 with Benchmark DAC which didn't get that much from the 650's -  I'd perhaps look at the geeked out products which really excel when it comes to output. the 650 can sound too veiled without enough power. 

That's all very interesting, but as I stated, I have the Micro iDSD, not the Nano!

These are the figures for my iDSD:

Headphone Power Output

HP Amp OutputPower (max)Power (continuous.)
- Turbo mode10.0V/4,000 mW @ 16 Ohm>1560 mW @ 64 Ohm
- Normal mode5.5V/1,900 mW @ 16 Ohm>950 mW @ 32 Ohm
- Eco mode2.0V/500 mW @ 8 Ohm>250 mW @ 16 Ohm

As you can see, the iDSD outputs 950mw into 32 Ohm. That's 7.3 times as much and the Explorer 2.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #179 of 1,003
  That's all very interesting, but as I stated, I have the Micro iDSD, not the Nano!

These are the figures for my iDSD:

Headphone Power Output

HP Amp OutputPower (max)Power (continuous.)
- Turbo mode10.0V/4,000 mW @ 16 Ohm>1560 mW @ 64 Ohm
- Normal mode5.5V/1,900 mW @ 16 Ohm>950 mW @ 32 Ohm
- Eco mode2.0V/500 mW @ 8 Ohm>250 mW @ 16 Ohm

As you can see, the iDSD outputs 950mw into 32 Ohm. That's 7.3 times as much and the Explorer 2.

Apologies, given this, it's a no brainer. iFi most certainly, IMO. I have read of explorer / 650 users but they do require more power IMO. with the mirco, you can do your own test when you have it, if the 650 are fine with low amounts of juice, and you don't like the sound sig, return it and buy the explorer :wink: 

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #180 of 1,003
Hello all, I've been a long time lurker on this forum and really enjoy reading all the stuff here! 

Anyways, I would just like to share my thoughts on the Meridian Explorer 2 DAC setup with my 2012 Macbook Pro and the Bang and Olufsen H8!

I've been listening for about 6 hours now and am completely impressed! I'm no audiophile expert by a long shot but the difference is definitely noticeable with and without the meridian DAC! The soundstage is much wider, I can enjoy instrumental songs which I love with increased clarity. All I can say is, WOW! I'm so excited for more listening in the coming weeks :p

I've been using Spotify Premium and now, I'm trying Tidal. However, I wished Tidal would have a larger mandarin song collection :/ haha.

Happy Listening Everyone!

Kwan 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back