Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one?
Jul 25, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #167 of 219
  Hi i have a general question about the Director as i have a buy option now.
Have anyone tried it with an usb power supply ?
Thanks and regards,
gino

The sonic benefits of the Director (and in my opinion all the Meridian personal products) is highly dependent on the USB power supplied. I have used an old Mac laptop, and noticed benefits simply by using an Amazon Basics powered USB hub. However I would recommend using one of the power supply products specifically intended for music playback, such as the Schiit Wyrd or iFi iUSB power. When the Director cost $700, the cost of the iFi wasn't unreasonable. I bought the Director at low cost, thus I personally use the Schiit, which is only $99.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #168 of 219
The sonic benefits of the Director (and in my opinion all the Meridian personal products) is highly dependent on the USB power supplied. I have used an old Mac laptop, and noticed benefits simply by using an Amazon Basics powered USB hub. However I would recommend using one of the power supply products specifically intended for music playback, such as the Schiit Wyrd or iFi iUSB power.
When the Director cost $700, the cost of the iFi wasn't unreasonable. I bought the Director at low cost, thus I personally use the Schiit, which is only $99.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice.
When i see devices working with just 5VDC power supply i am amazed by the modern technology 
eek.gif

And i am sure they sound very good indeed.
I am negotiating on the price.  The guy wants an offer.  I am undecided.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again,  gino  
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #170 of 219
Audio advisor still has the director available for 349.

Do you recommend the wyrd the ifi usb or ifi usb power?

I think this article is a fair assessment of the various USB cleanup devices available at the time:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/collection-usb-audio-enhancement-products

I paid $300 for my Director, used. The deal at Audio Advisor is a steal in my book for a Director, new!

I similarly think the Wyrd is a good deal at $99 - kind of a peace of mind assurance that you're providing proper power to the Director DAC. I use it in my $10K stereo speaker system, where the Director is sometimes fed a USB source and sometimes fed a Toslink source. The Wyrd acts as an on/off switch for the Director. The Wyrd also has two lights on the front - one for power and one when an established USB audio connection is made. It also matches the color scheme of the Apple. Hmm...I guess I'm not an impartial reviewer 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #172 of 219
I want to say that it is not "detailed" when comparing with a normal PCM delta-sigma DAC. There is a hard edge or glare to the sound coming from my Oppo BDP-105. And there is definitely more immediate detail from my Schiit Bifrost with Uber upgrade. But when I hear glare or edge, an etched sound, my ears tend to shy away from the sound. The Director is lush, so it is my go-to DAC!

And in that same statement, when doing an A/B comparison to try to listen for a sound from one of the other "detailed" DAC options, I cannot say there is anything missing from the Director sound. The sound is all still present, perhaps played with a little more subtlety to allow the listener to go and retrieve the sound, when they are ready to dive deeper into the music. It may be simply a perception of detail from the other DAC? I would not call the Meridian DAC "studio-spec" because there is proprietary processing that occurs.

Last, when you are ready to dive in, the soundstage is vast. In my stereo system, there is no comparison with the other DACs I own. The Director has height, width, depth, etc. I usually attribute these aspects of sound to the amplifier and speakers. But it is a non-subtle difference, the Director versus my other DACs.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #173 of 219
Sheldaze & LAmitchell (& anyone) -

I'm currently building my little music station and it's funny reading this whole thread because you guys seem to be hitting the nail on the head with the questions I've been asking myself. A little about my setup: Sennheiser HD 650s, Bottlehead S.E.X. Amp (currently building), and my Macbook Pro Retina.

1) Sheldaze - I don't have speakers yet, just my headphones. However I'm aiming to get there after I choose my DAC setup. I want my DAC to be sufficient enough for both. I was first leaning towards the Bitfrost w/ Uber until I learned about the Director and I see you use them both depending on what you are outputting to. If you had a chance to do things differently, would you get a DAC that sounded great with both headphones and speakers? If we sum up the price of what you paid for Wyrd, Director, and Bitfrost + Uber then you have a few high end options available. I'm wondering if I should consider this if my setup will be very similar to yours.

2) LAmitchell - You can say that maybe I'm not a "true" audiophile like you because I care about aesthetics as well. You got rid of your Director but wanted it back later. Have you got another one yet? It's discounted at $350 now... Or did you decide to wait to see what's coming out next? Furthermore, did you consider Bitfrost like sheldaze? The reviews aren't so bad and it's aesthetically pleasing as it can be stacked nicely with the Wyrd for clean USB power. If you decided to go another route than the Director, what was it and are you satisfied?

Thank you all for the great info :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #174 of 219
  Sheldaze & LAmitchell (& anyone) -

I'm currently building my little music station and it's funny reading this whole thread because you guys seem to be hitting the nail on the head with the questions I've been asking myself. A little about my setup: Sennheiser HD 650s, Bottlehead S.E.X. Amp (currently building), and my Macbook Pro Retina.

1) Sheldaze - I don't have speakers yet, just my headphones. However I'm aiming to get there after I choose my DAC setup. I want my DAC to be sufficient enough for both. I was first leaning towards the Bitfrost w/ Uber until I learned about the Director and I see you use them both depending on what you are outputting to. If you had a chance to do things differently, would you get a DAC that sounded great with both headphones and speakers? If we sum up the price of what you paid for Wyrd, Director, and Bitfrost + Uber then you have a few high end options available. I'm wondering if I should consider this if my setup will be very similar to yours.

2) LAmitchell - You can say that maybe I'm not a "true" audiophile like you because I care about aesthetics as well. You got rid of your Director but wanted it back later. Have you got another one yet? It's discounted at $350 now... Or did you decide to wait to see what's coming out next? Furthermore, did you consider Bitfrost like sheldaze? The reviews aren't so bad and it's aesthetically pleasing as it can be stacked nicely with the Wyrd for clean USB power. If you decided to go another route than the Director, what was it and are you satisfied?

Thank you all for the great info :)

You'll find lots of threads here at Head-Fi focussed solely on DACs. But how important is the DAC, particularly when you are just starting to listen to high end audio? The order I keep seeing repeatedly:

headphone > AMP > DAC

Put another way, my first headphone meet earlier this year was an eye-opener 
eek.gif

Sure there were people who came with TOTL pre-amp and DAC electronics, but most everyone else was focussed on AMP and headphone mods. There was a guy who came with the Schiit Gungnir, the $749 DAC that is step above the Bifrost, connected to his Bottlehead Crack and an HD600. It was nice, but it wasn't as nice, to my ears, as the guy with his customized WooAudio WA3 fed by an iPod dock (Pure i20 costing $99). The power that was streaming out of the custom WA3 was so effortless and big, it put the capabilities of my HD650 in a whole new light. But it was only being fed by a $99 DAC, of which I'm sure only a small part of the money went towards the DAC part of the iPod dock.

To me, the Director at $350 is a no-brainer steal. The only reason not to buy, if you're in the market for a great mid-tier DAC, is to wait for the next generation of the DAC. But you'll be certain to pay the full $700 retail for the newest model. And definitely, it will not be twice the goodness in sound versus the current generation DAC. You could also get the regular Bifrost, which is upgradable, at a cost of $349. Listen to the the vanilla Bifrost for a while, and see what you think. The advantage of the Bifrost over the Director is it gets you onto the upgradable path. You can add the Uber parts later. And when Schiit comes out with the next generation module, you can order that part too.

I think you're on the right path, getting a kit for your amp. Perhaps the Bifrost, being somewhat of a kit too, is the way for you to go?

Back to your original question, I really don't have any regrets. There was a DAC shootout a couple of years ago, and the Gungnir was rated as one of the indistinguishable DAC. At most, there's probably a little more noise in the Bifrost, and it's missing that "upgrade your source" warning light that is on the Gungnir (and balanced connections, which I don't need). I'd like to have that upgrade your stuff light, but I'm also pretty sure my Oppo sources are clean. Having heard the "correct" DAC sound, I like it. But I also like the "politically incorrect" and processed for human consumption Meridian sound. I kinda like options, and I'm still playing around at the low end, with both headphones and USB-dongle DAC/AMPs, but more for the AMP parts. I'd later like to get into mods, like starting with Grado SR60i or Fostex T50RP. Hopefully some of the Schiit Yggdrasil parts will trickle down to the Bifrost tier 
cool.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #175 of 219
Now that I've had time with both the Bifrost Uber and the Director for a few months I'm thinking the Bifrost is going up for sale. The Director just has this liquid addictiveness to it's sound without losing any detail compared to the Bifrost. The soundstage I feel is superior to the Bifrost and that I also dig.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #176 of 219
I want to applaud Meridian for continuing to support the Direct(or) DAC. They have recently released a FW update that supposedly fixes issues for Windows user:

Support information here.

I have thinking about plonking some $1800 USD down on a Chord 2Qute but this won't be before early next year most likely. So I am contemplating a few minor upgrades to my present DAC setup:

1. Do the FW update above. Make sure I am using the latest drivers, etc. (Free)
2. Buy the Schiit Wyrd to beef-up the USB input. ($100)
3. Buy a new USB cable...or two if using the Wyrd. ($???...hornets nest of cable cost discussion...)

Question about the Wyrd: my HTPC motherboard allows me to completely turn OFF the USB power coming from the dedicated so-called DAC USB port. I wonder if I could do this and then use the Wyrd in between the PC and DAC?

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #177 of 219
I'm out - but I want to say as hand off my DAC to the next lucky listener that this DAC put up a great fight!

Though I've not used it for headphones, I must admit that I only have invested around $350 on average per headphone in my arsenal. My speakers are multiple thousands of dollars with another multiple thousands in pre-amp/amp equipment. This DAC, originally costing $700 (I paid a ridiculously low $300 for mine used) and now only $350 new, sounded phenomenal in my setup. And it was only soundly beaten by my latest DAC upgrade, a Schiit Gungnir with Multibit.

Only after hearing a DAC at twice the cost did I finally put my Meridian Director up for sale. It will be missed...

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #178 of 219
I'm out - but I want to say as hand off my DAC to the next lucky listener that this DAC put up a great fight!

Though I've not used it for headphones, I must admit that I only have invested around $350 on average per headphone in my arsenal. My speakers are multiple thousands of dollars with another multiple thousands in pre-amp/amp equipment. This DAC, originally costing $700 (I paid a ridiculously low $300 for mine used) and now only $350 new, sounded phenomenal in my setup. And it was only soundly beaten by my latest DAC upgrade, a Schiit Gungnir with Multibit.

Only after hearing a DAC at twice the cost did I finally put my Meridian Director up for sale. It will be missed...

I too paid about $350 for mine when I bought my NAIM amp gear. So I take it you feel the GMB to be a substantial upgrade to the Director? In what ways?

I am debating the GMB vs. Chord 2Qute as my next DAC.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #179 of 219
I too paid about $350 for mine when I bought my NAIM amp gear. So I take it you feel the GMB to be a substantial upgrade to the Director? In what ways?

I am debating the GMB vs. Chord 2Qute as my next DAC.

First I caution against drawing too much conclusion, putting too much faith in the opinion of another. We each have ears, and more importantly brains of a different upbringing and taste than any another person. I would tell you that the Gungnir Multibit is an improvement over the Director in every way. And at the same time, I would feel silly, judgmental, or conceited to say such a thing. So I think it simpler to take the long route, and explain to you why the Director made its way into my stereo system in the first place - that is how the Director sounds in relation to all the previous DAC options I have heard.

I had been listening satisfactorily to the Denon proprietary sound for many years. They call the proprietary processing AL24 (or more recently AL32). You can read about it here. For example, there are 8 processors in my Denon AVR-5803, for each of the 8-channels of home theater audio. However, when utilizing only 2-channels, one is left with 6 processors with nothing to do. Instead Denon applies a pseudo-science up-sampling algorithm to enhance the fidelity of the sound. They use 4-processors per channel of audio to handle the requirement of the algorithm. They think it is so fantastic that they do not allow you to turn it off. Except I accidentally stumbled upon a way to turn it off. I connected a Denon DVD source through the proprietary Denon digital connection into the Denon A/V receiver. The source acts in this mode only as a transport, and the receiver acts as a DAC. Both the source and receiver can apply AL24 processing, in stand alone. But when connected via the proprietary digital cable into a more capable AL24 processor, the source turns off its AL24 processing. If you connect the source via RCA cables into the receiver, you can thus bypass the AL24 processing and hear the native Denon DAC.

This bypass of the AL24 become my first DAC upgrade. My girlfriend, who has ears that apparently work much more quickly than mine, simply called the original sound (AL24) digital and the new sound (RCA) not as digital, and thus better. I still listen to AL24 on rare occasion, like when friends come over, so I can explain to them why I bought a DAC. There is a distinct "ringing" sound on top of the original music. It's like when you turn up the sharpness too high on a modern television, and you actually add noise to the signal. In comparison to the Meridian Director, there is definitely no ringing due to its up-sampling process. My girlfriend has heard the Denon up-sampling, a Sony PS3 that up-samples, and even an external box dedicated to up-sampling. She called them all digital, but neither she nor I can hear the up-sampling in the proprietary Meridian process. The Meridian adds nothing that my ears perceive as added noise - it just makes the sound easier, larger, more depth. Oh, and the Denon sound, without the AL24, was cold to my ears. It was an upgrade from AL24, but just nothing to write home about.

My first real DAC was a Peachtree DAC-iTx. I got it because it had Coax, Toslink, and USB inputs, all at a reasonable price. It was a definite upgrade over the Denon, but it did not really do anything for me. Also by this time I was starting to experiment with the transportable USB DAC, such as the DragonFly. This was hardly an improvement over the DragonFly. And by the time I purchased the Schiit Fulla and Meridian Explorer, it was bested. Granted I still had a headphone amplifier that I hated (my only amplifier, so I still used it). But even in my main stereo system, the Peachtree wasn't anything special. Respective to the Director, it simply does not provide a lot of necessary detail of a high end DAC. It stayed around until it was replaced by my first Sabre DAC.

The Oppo BDP-105 seemed to be a dream come true. It had clarity of a kind I had never heard before. The dynamics were also good, almost too much so. Let's just cut to the chase - some Sabre implementations will jab you in the ear drums. This was a good DAC, until I tried to listen to it for any length of time. I just got fatigued too quickly. There is no fatigue from listening to the Director, and I think that is the signature quality of a good DAC.

Enter the last remaining DAC, and the only DAC I have not yet given back to the eBay gods. The Schiit Bifrost Uber is a good DAC. I personally would place it at the same level as the Meridian Director. They both do everything quite well. What the Director does particularly well is likely to be a weakness of the Bifrost. The opposite I feel holds true too. And as such, the Bifrost became my go-to for headphones and the Director became my go-to for speakers. The Bifrost is holding on only because it is my go-to for headphones (the Gungnir replaced the Director for speakers) and I'm holding out hope for an upgrade from Schiit later this year. But again, the USB DAC keep getting better year-by-year. I am hoping for good things from the CEntrance DACportHD, and have heard good things from the Apogee Groove and LH Labs GeekOut v2 (almost afraid to go back to the Bifrost after hearing the GeekOut). Back to the Director! The Bifrost is more forward. The Director is more reserved. The Bifrost has more of the surface detail. The Director has more of the spatial details. It's the space that won me over with regards to using it in my speaker setup. The height, width, and depth are just immense, and really fun for me a 2-speaker setup.

Now if you can imagine a DAC that does all these things, you've got it! The Gungnir Multibit sound seems to stop my beating heart sometimes. It has the ease of an up-sampler, but it doesn't up-sample so there's no "digital" sound or loss of any information. It has warmth. It has detail. It has the little gritty details. It has the big airy details. It has an immense soundstage. In fact, sounds are now appearing out of places (and in songs) where I did not know they existed. And there's a new darkness, when the music stops, that often stops me - hence the beating heart.

Still I warn you that the upgrade-itis can be a miserable thing. I just sold a DAC that I very much loved. And I've already heard the Yggdrasil (at the time my DAC was only 3 days new). Yes, the Yggdrasil is a better DAC than the Gungir Multibit. Try the Chord DAC, if you have the funds. But do use your own ears. The Director is a great DAC.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #180 of 219
^Thanks for the lengthy reply?

What happened to the Yggdrasil? How does it compare with the GMB?

Are you using any special power/USB conditioning for the GMB?

And lastly, have you heard the 2Qute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back