Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one?
Apr 5, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #136 of 219
  My Director is still doing a great job. Sounds delightful with my new NAIM SuperNait2 amp. Really no complaints. Perhaps a driver update from Meridian would be welcome...

Schneller!  Congrats on the SuperNait!   I've heard so many good things about them.  

Back on the topic of the Director:

- There was a quality (or bunch of qualities put together) that made me excited about getting home to listen to music for long periods of time.

- Also, the bass was tight, and I could hear the HARMONICS of piano notes, as well as the texture of drums, strings, etc.

- The Director also made me understand what was meant by "tonal color"

LA Mitchell

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #138 of 219
  DIRECTOR is better....

I've compared Explorer and Director, and the Director was MANY steps ahead of the Explorer. It was a totally different sound. 

I would recommend spending a whole week listening to the difference before making up one's mind.

As soon as the Director's price gets slashed, I'm grabbing another one for sure!

La Mitchell

Strange. I didn't hear this "totally different sound". I spent about two days A-B-ing with both well run in. Headphone + amp is a STAX SR-009 and SRM-006T. Standard power cable, good quality RCA-interconnect and audioquest USB are used. If there IS a difference, it sure ain't massive. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #139 of 219
Well, the new driver didn't fix the problem I've had since day 1 with trying to get the DAC to play better than 24-bit/44100 Hz. So not sure what the new driver did lol.

The Director is the first and only dedicated DAC I've owned so I can't compare it to anything.

I disagree with the WhatHifi review. It does not look/feel basic. For what it is, it is solid feeling. I like the tiny footprint. I like its basic functionality. It IS musically enjoyable!

The Audiostream review is more dead-on...

I found the Director musically engaging over the longer haul. After weeks of fairly solid listening, there was nothing about the Director's performance that interrupted musical enjoyment. It is a nicely balanced DAC that does not scream out resolution...I would say that while I've heard deeper sound images and more expansive presentations, the Director shines with a dimensional quality...The Director fills out this sound picture and gives you a better sense of the physicality of the thing responsible for the sounds you are hearing. This translates into a more natural presentation...The Director does not deliver the last word in bass response but the bass that's there is tight and tuneful...By comparison the Director is more laid back sounding...

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #140 of 219
I disagree with the WhatHifi review. It does not look/feel basic. For what it is, it is solid feeling. I like the tiny footprint. I like its basic functionality. It IS musically enjoyable! 

I've read a number of reviews of the Meridian Director, all of them positive except the review by WhatHiFi. My conclusions are their setup may have not been ideal. I do not own the Director (yet), but I've read that it responds well to clean power. The Audiophiliac made mention that he preferred the sound through the S/PDIF - not specifically because it was processed better, but because that way he could use the provided USB wall power. I read nothing to indicate the WhatHiFi review team ensured a clean power source, or what source they used?

In my own experimentation with the Meridian Explorer versus Explorer2, I found out (just this past weekend) that I prefer Amarra for playback on all my USB DAC, except the Explorer2. That is the only device which I prefer to listen to Audirvana. I've read that the Amarra produces a "tube" like sound, which gets me personally more engaged in the music. While I think the Explorer2 already has an engaging sound, which is likely better served by more direct sound of Audirvana. Again, having not personally heard the Director, I cannot say the effect will be the same. But they do both have Apodising filters and the proprietary Meridian up-sampling algorithms. I personally had the verbatim feel about the Explorer2, that it lost the sense of the music through Amarra, yet regained it through Audirvana.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the reviews. However I still suspect it was not an ideal review, and WhatHiFi already had their "gem" for the year - the Arcam irDAC 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #141 of 219

Yo, Sheldaze, I'm interested in hearing more about the differences between Explorer 1 and 2.

I really liked the Explorer 1... it had a liquid like sound to it... I was pretty amazed.

Haven't heard Explorer 2 yet, but was thinking about getting one.

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

LA Mitchell

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #142 of 219
I will definitely spend some time listening. And to bring this post back to topic, I'm planning to get the Director too. I'll let you know what I think about it. Curious though - which headphones did you use with Explorer? I found my headphones with higher impedance to work better when directly plugged into the Explorer. My lower impedance headphones did not work as well with the Explorer.

The Explorer2 is an entirely different beast. All my headphones work with it. It has much lower output impedance and the additional processing, likely similar to the Director, to cleanup standard CD-quality and lower resolution audio. I think you mentioned that you stream a lot of audio, and I suspect the Director and Explorer2 are for this purpose a good match. But I'll let you know once I've heard the Director myself.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #143 of 219
La Mitchell

I've been following this thread for a little while. I have most certainly enjoyed your enthusiasm for the Meridian Director. In fact, I would say Meridian owes you a cut of their profit 
biggrin.gif

I too have been keen to see a comparison between the Director and one of the more "trusted", mainstream, I would almost say "truthful" DAC products, such as the Schiit Bifrost. But when I sit down to make such a comparison, I find it very difficult indeed. And who exactly is to say what is more "truthful".

When I first listened to my Schiit Bifrost, I could definitely tell that I was hearing something new, an upgrade over previous DAC implementations I had heard. Through the new DAC, I heard more textures and details, extra ringing in a note, extra vibrato in a singer's voice. The sounds that were there became that much more realistic and present. I sat and I listened to it for hours, gulping down entire albums when I would normally just listen to a track or two. It was good stuff. I'm certain it still is good stuff.

On the one hand, I now have the lush, supple, suspended in the midair, almost as if the speakers weren't there sound of the Meridian Director. I'm accustomed to turning up my speakers to the point where they begin to sound harsh, but I'm not feeling that same sensation from the Director. I was just now listening to a Cello performance by Yo Yo Ma (not with headphones as yet, still in my speaker system) and the bass movement of air was unreal. It was not until the song stopped that I was actually certain the low frequency sounds were from the song and not some machine running outside.

I read once a suggestion that the best DAC is the one that would win in the following game. You take the original sound and record it to digital, using an ADC. Then you run it through a DAC to convert it to analog. Image you do this looping several times. The DAC that produces the most unchanged sound at the end of the looping is supposedly the right DAC.

But I think the Meridian takes a different approach. They seem to process the sound in a way that makes it easier for the listener to hear. In direct comparison with say the Bifrost, perhaps the highs aren't as shimmery. Perhaps the bass is a little more full. Perhaps it is not the bit-for-bit accurate sound that everyone strives for due to the Meridian processing algorithms, but I really like the sound. I want to put my ears right up next to it. I want to go back and play every album that I had trouble listening to before, to be that much more engaged in the music.

As far as a direct comparison with other DAC, I'm not sure I'm up to it. As far as enjoyment of the sound, this is definitely it!

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #144 of 219
Last try with headphones, using my Sennheiser HD650. I also used a common amp, Schiit Valhalla, which I like with my headphones. I only switched the DACs to compare. Starting with the Explorer, I find the sound to be harsh and not very detailed. It's a smeared mess that truly challenges the listener to stay focused on the sound. The Explorer2 is such a relief in comparison. The sound is still not particularly detailed, but the jump in quality of sound is worth the upgrade. I would definitely use this sound for streaming audio playback. And I have used the box to playback high resolution audio, though directly through the headphone output - not as a DAC through the line output.

Following this progression, the Director is still a shock. It has the same smooth, very listenable nature as the Explorer2, but the details and sonics both jump up a vast measure. Note that I did not specifically match volumes. I simply plugged each DAC into the same USB port on my laptop, keeping headphone and amp at a static position. I used an Amazon Basics cable costing only a couple dollars to connect to the Director. However the music now has details and punch that simply weren't there with either of the Explorers. Stop here and I suspect most people would be quite happy with the sound.

But the story is different with headphones, for me. I still much prefer the Schiit Bifrost with Uber. The sounds removes yet another layer of veil, adding detail that makes it less about listening to music and more about just hearing sounds. In fact I'm writing this now while still listening to the sound. It's not distracting - it's natural, well the most natural of digital sounds that I've heard to date. I can fall asleep to this sound.

You can draw your conclusions about headphones I used and potential issues in my stereo speaker system. I can hear the same details in comparing the Bifrost to the Director in the speaker system. However there, I can hear the benefits of the Director in making the music intoxicating and liquid. With my headphones, I don't want that - so the details and simple realism win me over. The usual rule of your mileage may vary is definitely in play here.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #146 of 219
Sheldaze,

Nicely worded comparisons in your posts... very understandable to me, and much appreciated.

One thing that bothered me about the Director, is this:

There is an optional POWER SUPPLY available. Why is this a problem for me?  Well, because as I was listening to the beautiful sound, that little audiophile-voice in the back of my head kept whispering "if it sounds this good, imagine what the power supply would make it sound like" lol

Okay, ONE MORE thing that bothered me...

I kept wishing the Director had a headphone out. It didn't seem fair that it's cheaper sibling (Explorer) would get a headphone out :frowning2:

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #147 of 219
Too true regarding the headphone out. Seems like what we really want is the Meridian Prime, but it too has a power supply option to temp us with future upgrades 
wink_face.gif

The power supply could be the "magic bullet" for me, the reason I love the sound so much when connected to my speakers. I don't use the original power supply, but my speaker system already has the Wyrd, which is both a USB cleanup device and USB power supply. My computer is connected via USB into the Wyrd, and then a second USB cable into the Director. I also use the Wyrd to turn the Director on and off.

But in a large rig, it makes sense to have all sorts of little knick-knacks because there's space. On my desk next to my laptop, I want something to look clean like the Explorer or Explorer2, or the Meridian Prime. Even when stacked on top of it's power supply base, the Prime still looks very clean!

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #148 of 219
Jun 3, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #149 of 219
I just picked up one of these DACs. I moved into a smaller studio apartment and had to get rid of one of my two desks so I figured I'd try the Meridian DAC with it's smaller footprint and see how it would compare to my Bifrost Uber. My setup is PC SPDIF out -> DAC -> Lake People G109S -> Fostex TH600 / HD600.  I've been listening to the Director for a few hours the last 2 nights with the TH600 and so far one thing is immediately apparent - there is more bass that is more clearly defined that reaches lower than the Bifrost. I listen to mainly electronic and hip hop and the Director's presentation of bass is really allowing the TH600 to show what it can do it in the low end.

The rest of the presentation for me so far is still up in the air as I think I'm still adjusting to Director's sound. The presentation is certainly different than the Bifrost. I can't quite put my finger on it yet... although I think the Director and Bifrost shift the focus of the music to different aspects of the track. I also think the Bifrost might be tilted to the bright side of neutral and it gives the immediate impression of superior detail but I'm also starting to realize that the Director is deceivingly detailed. I'm not quite sure on the sound separation yet as initially I thought the Director's sound was almost smeared when tracks became more complex and I still don't think it has the same level of sound separation as the Bifrost but it's starting to sound as it has a more cohesive presentation.

I'll add more impressions as I listen more.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #150 of 219
I seemed to get some disgruntled replies when I last posted, but I will post anyway to see if someone can help me to understand better what I'm hearing, or not hearing.

I would not trade the Meridian Director for any other DAC that I currently own, including the Schiit Bifrost w/ Uber upgrade. There is something "magical" about the way the Director sounds with speakers. That is, for me, real speakers in a real room. There's something about the 3D quality of the sound, which I truly like. I have not picked up on the same traits with headphones, though I have not listened to many headphones at home. Perhaps on a TOTL, like Audeze LCD-3 or Sennheiser HD800, I would hear the same quality in headphones that hear with my speakers.

Until then, or someone explains to me what they hear with headphones, I'll stick to my Schiit for headphones - and Meridian for speakers.

Let us know though, what you hear, as you continue to listen to the Director!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back