Meridian Boothroyd Stuart DAC : the DIRECTOR
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

telecaster

1000+ Head-Fier
Meridian released a new DAC, the Director.

It's made in UK with the same care as all Meridian products. It's aimed at providing high resolution audio conversion.
Accepting USB (async), SPDIF and Toslink, output analogue 2V through RCA (same as 800 serie).
The leader in digital audio with its apodizing filter and upsampling algorythm strikes this time with a more affordable DAC than the acclaimed 818 preamp/DAC: The Director.

It's here, it sounds so good, and yes it's better than the Explorer!
On a handfull of records I begin to have a grasp of the improvements over non apodizing.
Sound is very detailed, and relaxed. Wonderful bass and treble. The depth of sound is so precise and extremely profound. The explorer was no slouch in that aspect, but the Director goes even further in immersing into the layers of the mix.

I only use headphones with the Director, but I may wanna try the M2 with it.
I have my M digital speaker Trifield so I'm all set speakerwise,
Wanted a Meridian DAC for my Stax heaphones, looks like I'm set now.
The Stax is very transparent set and the differences between the explorer and the director are quite significative when directly compared. On the go, the explorer is really good alternative, but sedentary sessions needs the director to fully immerse in audio goodness. The explorer can sound harsh in comparaison, you notice some grit in vocals. Medium in the Director is first class.

I need to listen to it to really get to know the sound of this DAC, also letting the DAC burning in some more..

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 7
I think it's in order to remove the filter ringing from the hearing frequency range. Apodizing goes together with the upsampling.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 7
This is the one major aspect of DAC marketing that I don't trust. They don't say why they use this or that technology. All we get is a statement of what is being used. It is left up to us the buying public to guess the reasons. I don't consider that good enough. A recent thread about the Chord DAC included a promise from the manufacturer to come and explain themselves what one aspect of their technology meant and why it was used. But I can't find a reply from Chord yet. I feel that we should be a lot more curious about what the various included technical bits do to a design. Just cramming every bit of ingredient and spice doesn't guarantee an excellent dish. Neither would it benefit a DAC if the manufacturers cannot explain themselves why they felt the need to use this or that implementation. It's the only thing we have to go by before parting with our cash.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't know for the newcomers, but Meridian came up with upsampling before everyone else. They were the first company to manufacture a consumer DAC (207) in 1990. They were the company that brought DVD audio with the MHR encryption before 2000. At that time, high resolution digital files was not release to the public because it was like loosing the benefits of owning the masters.

The apodizing filter was the leader ahead of competitors, followed by Ayres and others afterwards. If you were there half a decade ago, you would knew Meridian was big on the scene of digital audio. They have earned respect amongst older audiophiles. You like them or not but you gotta admit they were visionary from the beginning, still they are one of the only companies that I trust with their marketing.

Here is a link to a discussion back when apodizing was introduced :
http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=86762

and a review of the 808.2
http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/meridian_8082808i2_signature_reference_cd_playerpreamplifier/index5.html

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 7
The meridian 207 DAC is from 1988, and it's not their first ever selling product of a small group of enthusiasts like Theta.

The 207 which included preamp and transport with seperate DAC was displayed and announced at several shows in ref. Gramophone publication Nov 1986... See where Theta got their inspiration from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back