Men's style
Sep 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

epocs

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting a new men's style web series (simplerman.com), and I'm wondering what you guys would want in something like that?

I'm curious how much you guys would say that you care about clothing, I'm curious, because it's a big part of my life, even more than headphones and speakers.

I'm open to any suggestions and thought I would post in here since I love this community, and would love to hear what you think as normal dudes whose hobbies might not cross with style/fashion.

Cheers

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 8
A rather neat website, actually - I bookmarked it next to "A Suitable Wardrobe." 

Still, your tastes are a bit too vanilla for a fashion blog, in my humblest of opinions.  I understand that you have a theme of "simple," but your selection is approaching boring.  Mixing in some wild textures, colors, patterns, etc. is a challenge to pull off well, to be sure, but would make the reading far more enjoyable (and would be more useful to those who may be trying to discover their own style). 

I wholeheartedly agree with your premise that going for uber-trendy fashions is something to be avoided, but there are very classy and timeless ways to be more interesting (hopefully, without approaching dandy territory)

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
A rather neat website, actually - I bookmarked it next to "A Suitable Wardrobe." 

Still, your tastes are a bit too vanilla for a fashion blog, in my humblest of opinions.  I understand that you have a theme of "simple," but your selection is approaching boring.  Mixing in some wild textures, colors, patterns, etc. is a challenge to pull off well, to be sure, but would make the reading far more enjoyable (and would be more useful to those who may be trying to discover their own style). 

I wholeheartedly agree with your premise that going for uber-trendy fashions is something to be avoided, but there are very classy and timeless ways to be more interesting (hopefully, without approaching dandy territory)

So sorry, I realized I didn't check back on this thread for months.

Great point! I agree that being vanilla can make things a bit too boring from a blog perspective.
I still want to maintain a classic/simple look, as I truly believe it's the best way to look great, but I'm also a huge fan of mixing things up, adding pops of color, etc. as long as it does't distract from the outfit too much. I'll make sure to include that more in my future posts. 

Thanks for checking it out man, appreciate it!

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't agree with the whole patterns and textures thing, but there are some holes in your wardrobe if you're looking to establish a better fanbase. 

Wearing GAP and Uniqlo won't get much attention on a blog. I love Uniqlo and it's a great brand, but it's just too boring to be a viable option for a WAYWT blog. 

Look into more artisan friendly brands such as Engineered Garments and Nom de Guerre amongst many. 

I did like your pointers and your writing is on point. Oh and your denim game could be a bit more researched. Levis 501s look cheap and always will make an outfit look bad. Diors, Pure blue japan's and Skulls work really well for classier outfits.

Edit: Also check out Quoddy's for moccassins. They tear Sebago's a new a**hole. Check out styleforum and superfuture.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Good pointers, thanks for bringing it up!

I definitely understand what you're saying and want to make sure I don't recommend people to shop at the Gap and H&M for their clothing.

However, the truth is that we all have some of that in our wardrobes, so I wanted to showcase the fact that even though we all have some "whatever" brands in our arsenal, we can still use them to make good outfits. I own pieces from Cucinelli, RLPL, and Alden, but don't necessarily want that caliber of clothing to be the only thing I wear in my WAYWT posts, because in reality it isn't true. Maybe a piece here and there, but not all-around.

Will take your pointers in consideration when doing some more of those types of posts though.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Besides fashion I would love to see some gym exercises that you could do even at home.

We tend to have a busy life and skip going to the gym many times.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back