memory leak wasapi win7?
Jul 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #16 of 29
definately something fishy going on
download a free copy of eset antivirus and get that search and destroy program i told you about

also make sure your windows update is up to date and that it isnt stuck or causing a problem itself

you can also find a program that will allow you to kill programs even if access is denied... search through gizmodo, they have an article on it somewhere...

it very much sounds like either spyware or virus... depending on the time you may have to invest it may be more effecient/effective to just completely wipe your drive and reinstall windows... backing up everything first of course...

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #17 of 29
LOL? Stop feeding him full of crap.
Windows 7 and Vista, by default, will use as much ram as it possibly can. It won't slow your pc down. In fact, it will speed up loading of whatever it's filling the ram up with. Even linux does this ***.
I use an SSD and everything loads instantly from it, so I disabled this memory-filling feature. Not that it really matters, it will automatically clear out the ram as more is needed. This action takes neglibible effort from your pc.

but... why so many junk processes running? I doubt you have a virus, but seriously man...

edit: just noticed the 3 utorrents, maybe you have a virus after all. but. I had a problem with utorrent before that made it so I can't close it. Could just be a really lame bug.

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
LOL? Stop feeding him full of crap.
Windows 7 and Vista, by default, will use as much ram as it possibly can. It won't slow your pc down. In fact, it will speed up loading of whatever it's filling the ram up with. Even linux does this ***.
I use an SSD and everything loads instantly from it, so I disabled this memory-filling feature. Not that it really matters, it will automatically clear out the ram as more is needed. This action takes neglibible effort from your pc.

but... why so many junk processes running? I doubt you have a virus, but seriously man...

edit: just noticed the 3 utorrents, maybe you have a virus after all. but. I had a problem with utorrent before that made it so I can't close it. Could just be a really lame bug.

ive never experienced my computer or any computer using "as much ram as possible".
regardless, the issue this person is having is clearly not a normal function of windows.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #19 of 29
Windows 7 and Vista utilize Superfetch, which tries to intelligently cache programs into memory based on the users usage history. I'm not sure if that's the case here but in any case Dalamar is mostly correct in stating that Win7 and Vista "will use as much ram as it possibly can" though I believe it'll try to use up to a maximum of 50% of your ram for caching. It's important to note that as soon as an application requests more memory than is free, the cached ram will be released for that program to use. A quick google resulted in this description of superfetch: http://www.osnews.com/story/21471/SuperFetch_How_it_Works_Myths which seems decently accurate.

For example my windows 7 box has 8 gigs of ram and this is the makeup of my memory as listed in task manager:

Total: 8190
Cached: 2665
Available: 3505
Free: 911

bridge8989: can you post a screen shot of your performance tab in the task manager? if not a screenshot a listing of the values in the Physical Memory section along with the amount listed uder the "memory" bar would be helpful.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 29
The term "use" is wrong, Windows 7 and Vista try to maximize RAM utilization such that you'll have more memory hits instead of misses. RAM is there to be used not to be conserved. Obviously if you get memory miss, Vista and 7 will load required pages into memory. Whether the algorithm for such activity is good or not is up to study though, but I guess MS did and it prove to be useful. If not why would they include it?

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #21 of 29
Strangely enough, I have 3 utorrents running now too... What?
Edit: the 3 utorrents appears to be due to Windows 7 having an ipv6 bug. Update to the beta utorrent (which disables it) and it shouldn't happen anymore.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #22 of 29
Seems to be the same problem here. Have my new Acer Revo R3610 with 4GB memory and win7 64bit. Just switch from WASAPI to ASIO4All and it's working ok so far. I only use it for internet and foobar. Kind of weird.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 29

I still have this problem, only on my secondary computer though - not on my primary, not on my lab computer not on my laptop - just that one computer. Whenever I leave foobar2000 on with music playing for burnins and such, I am maddened to find out there is only 500mb or less physical ram left out of 4gb (win7 64gb). 

This has been happening all the way up to v1.1.1 which is the latest one that I have installed (just upgraded to v1.1.5 to see if things get any better). I am fairly familiar with superfetch in windows 7 and how it handles ram, and have my windows tweaked out quite well (only 40 processes from all users at the start, including resource monitor, task manager and foobar2000 and the IE9 instance I am typing this from). The anti-virus/anti-malware tool I am using is the highly regarded MSE (constantly ranks near the top at the av-comparatives), updated in a timely manner and all.

The thing is when the ram is gone and missing, the resource monitor reports the missing ram is "in use", not "standby" or "modified". I too have use process explorer but failed to see which process is hogging ram, the biggest one I see is MSE's active guard which is only ~100MB total yet about 3gb ram is used by something that isn't listed in the active process list.  At first I suspected this had to do with hybrid sleep, so I have applied the hotfix that supposedely fixes ram leaks with hybernation, and then went on to disable hybrid sleep altogether at no avail.

Indeed it may have to do with the plugins I am using. There are only four of them at the moment though, WASAPI, APE, charcon and crossfeed. The first three being the official (or at least endorsed on the official site and confirmed to be compatible) plugins, I doubt they are likely to misbehave. Just upgraded to v1.1.5 while omitting the crossfeed plugin this time, let's see if that that makes any difference at all.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #24 of 29
If you use USB devices, try different ports. WASAPI ate 8 gigs of memory in no time when I used my Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H's backpanel USB2 ports, USB3 are fine.

I'm so god damn glad I solved this.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #25 of 29
Maybe you have a virus?

I like running this whenever my PC starts acting wierd http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Sometimes it finds stuff other times I just reinstall windows.

May 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #26 of 29
I have MSE updated daily, do not use anything suspicious on the computer (not even a bittorrent client), have a decent router /w tomoato firmware properly setup. HiJackThis didn't find anything either if that matters.

At the end I solved it by relegating headphone listening duty to my main computer; it made more sense anyway in regards to how the two computers get used anyway.

Thanks Daisangen, I will be sure to try that should a need arise to move it back to the problematic rig.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #27 of 29
This is an old thread, but I found it searching for similar keywords.

I also get a memory leak in the system from using WASAPI and foobar2000 and playing for a long time (hours++). Output is standard USB audio driver (MSFT).

It looks like a permanent kernel memory leak, as exiting programs do not fix it. "Kernel nonpaged memory" number (TaskManager/Performance tab) goes up and up until many bad things happen.

i started a thread here (and a similar one on hydrogenaudio):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/cc252d63-e33e-461c-9369-05c855bd80d9

any help is greatly appreciated.  Physical unplugging the USB, as well as disabling and reenabling the driver does not help.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
This is an old thread, but I found it searching for similar keywords.

I also get a memory leak in the system from using WASAPI and foobar2000 and playing for a long time (hours++). Output is standard USB audio driver (MSFT).

It looks like a permanent kernel memory leak, as exiting programs do not fix it. "Kernel nonpaged memory" number (TaskManager/Performance tab) goes up and up until many bad things happen.

i started a thread here (and a similar one on hydrogenaudio):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/cc252d63-e33e-461c-9369-05c855bd80d9

any help is greatly appreciated.  Physical unplugging the USB, as well as disabling and reenabling the driver does not help.

I've been getting this as well (Wasapi Foobar, Windows 7 64bit desktop with 4 Gb RAM, through a Nuforce HDP that I'm currently burning-in if that's matter). I get to 80% physical memory usage by the time I turn off my computer. Reading through the threads mentionned didn't do much to solve the problem. Any new leads or fixes, besides switching to ASIO or another player ?

(Computer's been defragged, virus-checked, and even dusted, no effect on the problem whatsoever)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back