Melos SHA-1 vs. The Amb B22
May 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
Place your bets, place your bets. Pick a winner. Tell me why. And for those of you with "It depends," on the tip of your tongue, I'll specify Grado - either the RS-1 or the GS-1000. People who get a sick pleasure out of saying, "Go search it out yourself, tinhorn," need not apply.

May 19, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Just my thoughts... on your choices... since I've not heard either with the Grados.

Everyone (who's heard one) reports few amps are as great as the Melos with Grados.

But... the Melos is "getting long in the tooth" and may be a bit less reliable, unless all the parts have been replaced fairly recently.

Though... if I were selecting an amp primarily for Grados... I'd likely be getting a new MAD EAR+ HD (or Super).

May 19, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 6
From the standpoint of practicality, I'd pick the Beta22. There are any number of builders who can repair one and parts are plentiful. There's also a massive amount of technical data on the Beta22 and many knowledgeable owners. Any problem or issue could be pinned down and solved quickly in the threads.

The Melos is out of production and has been for awhile. I don't know of anyone who services them, save for a few members who have done a lot of work on theirs. If you're into DIY, you could learn to service or upgrade one. If you don't want to work on one yourself, you might have a hard time finding someone to service a Melos.

May 19, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Regarding Melos repairs - Porzilli et al on their rather surreal 'retro' website for the Nova Physics Memory Player claim to be in the process of setting up the Melos Audio Support Center, based in LA:

"We apologize, but the Melos Audio Support Center has no contact information yet. Please contact Mark at: mark@novaphysicsgroup.com to get on the waiting list or for additional information.

The target date for opening the opening of MASC is in late 2009.

Please check back often as we are now creating a waiting list to be created for Melos Audio owners to get upgrades, rebuilds, warranties and other support services."

Info retrieved from The Memory Player by Nova Physics

Contacted them about it a few weeks ago but haven't heard from them.. so who knows? At present it remains a tantalising possibility.

May 19, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 6
I have only heard the melos and it is my favorite amp I have owned to date. Don't forget it serves as a (very good) preamp as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back