Melos roll pack to go
May 4, 2002 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Any Melos owners interested in doing a tube rolling kit like Nick Dangerous did with the Heads? I will have the follwing tubes available: JAN Sylvania 6922, Amprex (holland) 6DJ8, Amprex Bugle Boys and Siemen ECC88 Gold Pins?

So far the few tubes I've tried in the Melos sound goooood.

May 4, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't have a Melos
frown.gif
, but 6dj8/6922 go in the "moretto" and even in x-cans. So I think you might lots of interested folks, Lextek. If you do this and send it my way after Nick, I can kick in a couple of RCA's that sounded nice in my xcans. (I assume that if the Melos doesn't fry the 6dj8 these other amps wouldn't either----Nick?)
I doubt whether they are as nice as yours, but part of the fun is learning to discriminate the flavors
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
[B If you do this and send it my way after Nick, I can kick in a couple of RCA's that sounded nice in my xcans. (I assume that if the Melos doesn't fry the 6dj8 these other amps wouldn't either----Nick?)
I doubt whether they are as nice as yours, but part of the fun is learning to discriminate the flavors
smily_headphones1.gif
[/B]

You can use a 6922/ECC88 in any amp that is designed for 6DJ8. You cannot use a 6DJ8/E88CC in some amps that were designed for the 6922, depending on the actual design. Both the SHA-1 and the Moretto were designed for the 6DJ8, and so should be compatible.

Don't underestimate your RCA's. RCA didn't make 6DJ8/6922's. They outsourced them. The two companies they used most were Amperex and Siemens. Your RCA's may in fact be vintage Siemens/Amperex, and they sound every bit as good as the name brand. If the tube was made in the US or Holland, it's probably an Amperex. If it was made in Germany, it's likely Siemens. Look for ridges in the top of glass radiating out from the center. Those ridges will indicate that it is a probable Amperex or Siemens tube. Now look between the pins at the bottom. If there's a number engraved in the glass (can sometimes be hard to read), it's a Siemens tube.

One of the nice things about these is that while forgery is a problem with name brand Amperex and Siemens, my guess is that forgers would rarely bother with RCA, since the prices were much lower.

May 4, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks, Hirsch--very interesting!

So,

1. The 6dj8 must not go in x-cans, but are OK in melos and "moretto".

2. My "rca' tubes have the orange rca lettering then '6922 usa' in gray on the top. No ridges or engraved numbers.....

May 4, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Jon, even if you weren't a person (I'm quoting folks!), it would make sense for Lextek to restrict this to Melos types, so peoples' notes could be more efficiently compared.

On the other hand, it might be interesting to learn whether the perceived quality of tubes varied across amps.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back