Melbourne's 2nd Head-Fi Meet of 2011 - 10th September
Sep 6, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #196 of 229
So with the meet coming already this weekend (time flies) I thought I'd just finalise some things and sum up a couple of house rules / raise some issues for the new guys.

Firstly, the attendance fee will be a flat $10. This wouldn't have been possible without Addicted to Audio, not only have they given us an awesome venue free of charge, they've also gone a step further and hired out some extra furniture to keep us all comfortable! Make sure you drop by their table to thank George and Cornelius on the day!

A few rules and suggestions (Please read, especially the bold text)
  1. Personal Hygiene! Please make sure to wash both your hair and ears. Cleaning inside and out.
  2. Please do not use hair gel, hair spray, mousse or other hair products on the day. I will also ask that you try to avoid using strong smelling deodorants, aftershaves and colognes as well.
  3. Feel free to audition others gear but be polite and ask for permission first! Don't take or remove anything without permission. When you're done, bring it back.
  4. Remember that it's a day of sharing, try not to hog one piece of equipment.
  5. It would be good to somehow label your own gear, there will surely be duplicates and making something easily identifiable is an excellent idea.
  6. You're using someone else's equipment. Baby everything, be careful, watch for cords and then be more careful!
  7. Don't place equipment on top of other items. If you can't find a place to put something down, ask its owner.
  8. If you're unsure how something works or even if you know, make sure you ask. Some gear will require headphones to be constantly plugged in, some equipment doesn't like being unplugged unless the volume knob is turned down/off.
  9. Hairnets will not be compulsory, however, dpz3 has generously purchased a box of them. Make sure to thank him if you pick one up. Please ask or make clear that you'd like people to wear them when listening to your gear. If you are asked to wear one, please put one on.
  10. There will be a couple of private listening rooms. You're welcome to set up a system in them but please make sure not to hold the rooms for much longer than 15-20 minutes at a time. They will be in high demand and a timer will be in each room.
  11. Most importantly, don't forget to have fun!

I'm hoping for people to start arriving around 10:30am, coming a little earlier or later is fine but the day will go quickly so it's best to arrive sooner rather than later. Please wait at the top of the steps before entering, I'll leave a bell if I'm not in sight. I'll quickly grab you're attendance fee and give you a name sticker and then you're free to mingle until lunch!

When lunch arrives around 1pm I'll ask everyone to stop auditioning and the feast will begin, please try to keep the food/drink separate of the electronics. Lunch will go on for about 30 minutes or until everyone's had their fill. On the menu for the day will be pizza, pasta and salad. Both the salad and pasta will be vegetarian whilst some of the pizzas will be specifically for us carnivores. There should be plenty for everyone so don't be shy. Drinks, cutlery, napkins, cups and plates will all be provided.

After lunch, please wash and dry your hands in the sink, paper towels will be provided. Once you've washed up, feel free to go back to listening until we finish at 5pm.

DO NOT to take drinks or cups outside of the kitchenette. There will be lots of wires and I'd hate to see a spill or a flying drink. Feel free to grab a drink at any point during the day, just remember to drink and leave it in the kitchen!

If I've left anything out or someone has any further suggestions, don't hesitate to mention it.

Once more I'd just like to thank you all, this wouldn't have been possible without everyone's attendance and help. See you all on Saturday!

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #198 of 229
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=addictedtoaudio&hl=en&ll=-37.796526,145.05764&spn=0.005197,0.013036&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=47.59105,106.787109&vpsrc=6&z=17

The meet is located in the office-space above Addicted to Audio. A2A list their address as Ground Floor, Suite 4, 792-796 High Street Kew East, VIC, 3102 (Enter via Woodlands Ave), however, this video will give you a definite idea of just where to go once you get there (All the parking spaces should be vacant and available for parking on the weekend).

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #200 of 229
wow, just found this thread! i'm hoping to make it (quite likely). I don't really have a lot of gear to bring that isn't going to be represented already, other than a Meier stepdance (1st generation). Will probably bring my Beyer DT1350s too. Definitely keen to have a listen to some of those headphones in the list though. Anyone going that has a custom cable for JHA earphones that I might be able to try? I've been curious about the whiplash or alo ones since I got my pair a year ago, but didn't feel like forking out that $

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #202 of 229
Hi all, apologies for announcing so late, have been reading reviews and comparisons on headfi for many years, I had no idea that Melbourne had such a keen headfi community, so this meet has gotten me out of the closet to join in and compare gear this Sat.

Thanks in advance to Will Hughes for going to so much trouble in organising this event and I agree entirely about hygene and respect for others equipment, you'll get no argument from me.

Equipment I will bring are HD650's bought not long after they were released, & Denon PRA-S10 pre amp and DCD-S10 cdp, early ninties balanced equipment that I have been using as an amp and source, the amp has plenty of power to drive the HD650's to hearing or headphone damage levels and the cdp (14 kg) DAC has optical and coax digital IN aswell as out, so some comparisons can be made of DAC technology advances over past 17 to 20 years.
I will also bring my only portable source a Sony CD walkman, one of the best they made  D-EJ01 with optical out so I can listen to other DAC's.

I will be going from old school to new school in Oct/Nov this year with iPod classic and Onkyo ND-S1 but undecided on New DAC, probably Anedio DAC 1 update when released, & trying to decide between LCD 2 and HD800, so the Melb meet is great timing.

If anyone in kooyong,  Glenferrie - Toorak rd area needs a lift, let me know, by early Sat Morning, I will check replys Fri night and Sat morning before leaving.
Look forward to meeting every one, cheers.

Henry.

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #203 of 229

Quote:
If anyone in kooyong,  Glenferrie - Toorak rd area needs a lift, let me know, by early Sat Morning, I will check replys Fri night and Sat morning before leaving.

Henry.

Creepy... You must live next to my place.

Anyway, lots of things came in today.
SPL Phonitor
Yamamoto HA-02
Goldring DR50, DR100, DR150
JVC HA-FXT90
Sievking Omega Stands (not for sale, but they're pretty!)
My personal ACS T1, I have huge ears though... Not the best for testing

Among loads of other things... I think I might have to hire a van. So jealous of Unique Melody and their wimpy little backpack atm

We'll be doing a lucky draw sometime during the day as well. Does anyone have a spare ticket book to save me a trip to Officeworks?

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #204 of 229

Hire....... a van?
eek.gif

popcorn.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #207 of 229
LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER FOR THIS MEET!

Current Attendance List:
WillHughes - Will
Duckman - Dave
rx79ez08 - Wang
Robert Hughes <Will's father>
Unique Melody Australia
Jaben Australia
ymv - Tim
Suntory_Times - Gabi
Justie - Justin
veli_good - Jerry
goobags - Guy
familiarsounds - Cornelius
Addicted to Audio
Gamerzhell - Davy
Lejatte145 - Jate
Gwarmi - Guillaume
matthewh133 - Matthew
Crikey - Timothy
Trysaeder - Kenny
bruce108 - Bruce
Z1B903 - Allan
otto88 - Richard
CHaNZs - Leon
m_lai - Martin
Maus - Jeffry
michaeljohn1234 - Michael
wilzc - Wilson
dpz3 - Dallas
bjonbjonbjon - Jonathan
TomAus - Thomas
hngls - Shaun
shack - Ben
chafingbuttocks - Matthew
kiteki - Nicky
Uncle George - Steven
arfie - Arthur
maniacphil - Ian

If you are not on this list, I am not aware that you're attending. Please message me ASAP if you plan to attend with your contant details and dietary needs... If you show up un-announced you run the risk of a severe frowning!

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #209 of 229
Great. Rain forecast. Public transport is a beautiful thing
smile_phones.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #210 of 229

Quote:
Hi all, apologies for announcing so late, have been reading reviews and comparisons on headfi for many years, I had no idea that Melbourne had such a keen headfi community, so this meet has gotten me out of the closet to join in and compare gear this Sat.

Thanks in advance to Will Hughes for going to so much trouble in organising this event and I agree entirely about hygene and respect for others equipment, you'll get no argument from me.

Equipment I will bring are HD650's bought not long after they were released, & Denon PRA-S10 pre amp and DCD-S10 cdp, early ninties balanced equipment that I have been using as an amp and source, the amp has plenty of power to drive the HD650's to hearing or headphone damage levels and the cdp (14 kg) DAC has optical and coax digital IN aswell as out, so some comparisons can be made of DAC technology advances over past 17 to 20 years.
I will also bring my only portable source a Sony CD walkman, one of the best they made  D-EJ01 with optical out so I can listen to other DAC's.

I will be going from old school to new school in Oct/Nov this year with iPod classic and Onkyo ND-S1 but undecided on New DAC, probably Anedio DAC 1 update when released, & trying to decide between LCD 2 and HD800, so the Melb meet is great timing.

Henry.

It is really great to see more CD equip, and D-E01 is always a dream of mine :DD Can't wait to try it ~~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back