Melbourne Meet Saturday 13/7/13
Jul 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #377 of 391
Hi guys,

I'm still planning to attend with my modest kit. If you guys aren't arriving til 1-2, I'm thinking I may as well do the same then...

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #381 of 391
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm still planning to attend with my modest kit. If you guys aren't arriving til 1-2, I'm thinking I may as well do the same then...

I'll probably be there closer to 12 now, Muzika, if you wanted to get there then. It's fine either way, but I'm looking forward to trying your Magni/Modi combo for a friend who's trying to decide on headphones to go with the same setup.

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #382 of 391
Quote:

I'll probably be there closer to 12 now, Muzika, if you wanted to get there then. It's fine either way, but I'm looking forward to trying your Magni/Modi combo for a friend who's trying to decide on headphones to go with the same setup.

Ok, cool, cool. Well I'll revert to my previous plans and try to get there just after 12pm.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #384 of 391
Glad to meet everyone today and get some exposure to the different equipment. As mentioned, I only got my kit last month and hadn't done much listening so I felt a bit unprepared for today. Nonetheless, I got some good listening in.

I was quite impressed with the bass (and comfort) of billy’s Fischer FA-011. With people on the forum praising the bass on the HE-400s (‘for an open can’), I was surprised by what the FA-011s produced in comparison. I ‘think’ I prefer the clarity, separation and perhaps stage on the HE-400s though. One other thing I wasn’t too keen on for the FA-011s was the way the padding over the speaker touched your ear – especially in the LE’s. But I still really liked them – especially their aesthetics (and the fact they’re Russian).

It was nice to have a play with some of Billy’s PMPs, as I’m thinking of upgrading. I quite liked the FiiO X3. Wanted to ask, actually, if there was a simpler model with less freedom in file-type/quality playback (e.g. Just MP3 and maybe FLAC, and only 16-bit, 44,100kHz).

Unfortunately my laptop ran out of juice toward the end of the day so I couldn’t trial the various units with my own music that I know quite well and have an intimate feel for. This reduced the effectiveness of listening for me and my eagerness to test too much different equipment. One the units I missed were the LCDs, which was disappointing. With my own music, I’d hope to find an opportunity for another listen in the future.

I got some impressions that my Modi is somewhat bright, which is useful to know because I find me HE-400+Modi to be a bit harsh on the highs so if I persist with the HE-400s (and higher-end headphone listening in general), the Modi may be one of the first things I look at changing.

I think my favourites of the day were PleasantSounds’ HD800’s. They sounded very crisp and not too bright or bassy to me. I’d have liked to test them with some music I’m more familiar with. I liked their lightweight design and the way the speaker cupped around the ear too – very comfy.

Thanks again to lin0003 for organising today's meet and to Billy for hosting the day. The Noisy Hotel was a great spot for it. Would have enjoyed sticking around to share some beers and learn some more about people and (their) hardware but time didn't permit - maybe next time.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #385 of 391
Quote:
Glad to meet everyone today and get some exposure to the different equipment. As mentioned, I only got my kit last month and hadn't done much listening so I felt a bit unprepared for today. Nonetheless, I got some good listening in.

I was quite impressed with the bass (and comfort) of billy’s Fischer FA-011. With people on the forum praising the bass on the HE-400s (‘for an open can’), I was surprised by what the FA-011s produced in comparison. I ‘think’ I prefer the clarity, separation and perhaps stage on the HE-400s though. One other thing I wasn’t too keen on for the FA-011s was the way the padding over the speaker touched your ear – especially in the LE’s. But I still really liked them – especially their aesthetics (and the fact they’re Russian).

It was nice to have a play with some of Billy’s PMPs, as I’m thinking of upgrading. I quite liked the FiiO X3. Wanted to ask, actually, if there was a simpler model with less freedom in file-type/quality playback (e.g. Just MP3 and maybe FLAC, and only 16-bit, 44,100kHz).

Unfortunately my laptop ran out of juice toward the end of the day so I couldn’t trial the various units with my own music that I know quite well and have an intimate feel for. This reduced the effectiveness of listening for me and my eagerness to test too much different equipment. One the units I missed were the LCDs, which was disappointing. With my own music, I’d hope to find an opportunity for another listen in the future.

I got some impressions that my Modi is somewhat bright, which is useful to know because I find me HE-400+Modi to be a bit harsh on the highs so if I persist with the HE-400s (and higher-end headphone listening in general), the Modi may be one of the first things I look at changing.

I think my favourites of the day were PleasantSounds’ HD800’s. They sounded very crisp and not too bright or bassy to me. I’d have liked to test them with some music I’m more familiar with. I liked their lightweight design and the way the speaker cupped around the ear too – very comfy.

Thanks again to lin0003 for organising today's meet and to Billy for hosting the day. The Noisy Hotel was a great spot for it. Would have enjoyed sticking around to share some beers and learn some more about people and (their) hardware but time didn't permit - maybe next time.

Glad you enjoyed it, Muzika! It was great to meet you today.

What's your reason for wanting the PMP to have less options? You don't have to use the options that are there and can stick to just MP3 and FLAC if you want to. (Not criticising your desire for a simpler player, just trying to understand).

Ditto with the thanks to lin0003 for arranging the meets - it's great to have faces to put to the usernames!

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #386 of 391
Quote:

What's your reason for wanting the PMP to have less options? You don't have to use the options that are there and can stick to just MP3 and FLAC if you want to. (Not criticising your desire for a simpler player, just trying to understand).

Cost is really my only consideration. When I see something has more features than I need, I wonder if there's something simpler which will do what I want at a lower price (and perhaps more efficiently).

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #387 of 391
Quote:

Cost is really my only consideration. When I see something has more features than I need, I wonder if there's something simpler which will do what I want at a lower price (and perhaps more efficiently).

The FiiO X3 is actually cheaper than the entry level iPod Touch and also the iPod Classic!
wink.gif

Yes, it was great to meet you guys today.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #388 of 391
I agree with Billy, the X3 is the ultimate "price conscious" player. The only cheaper (and still good) alternative is the Clip or Fuze range from SanDisk, but they don't come close to the X3.

The X3 is a player that will do pretty much everything you ever need without paying for anything extra. Awesome value.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #389 of 391
Quote:
I agree with Billy, the X3 is the ultimate "price conscious" player. The only cheaper (and still good) alternative is the Clip or Fuze range from SanDisk, but they don't come close to the X3.

The X3 is a player that will do pretty much everything you ever need without paying for anything extra. Awesome value.

The Clip and Fuze look like nice little budget players. What is it that sets the X3 so far apart from them?

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #390 of 391
The X3 is much more powerful and can drive a majority of cans with authority besides being able to hook up with a separate amplifier if you choose.
I pair it with an iBasso PB2 and except the HE6, it will drive every can with authority. For the price, it's virtually impossible to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back