Melbourne 2nd Meet 2011 - 10.09.2011 impressions
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #16 of 73
its the fischer audio FA-003s. A few ppl tried them (i made them try them actually XD) some thought they were good some thought they were so-so. What did u think of them?

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 73
Regret of the meet: not trying Crikey's Yamaha orthos. I knew they were coming but forgot all about it at the meet.

Second biggest surprise of the meet: not anticipating how much I would dislike the Edition 10. I know headphone choice is a very personal thing, and I'm grateful for having the opportunity to try them on my rig.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 73
So I think it's time I put down some of the thoughts I have before I forget them... As of finishing this post, I've realised it's rather epic and if you can't be bothered, heres a quick summation: W1000x is beautiful, HA160D a possible upgrade, Sugden incredible, HE60 amazing, I need a CD player and better quality music!

First of all, I missed a lot of things at this meet again but as you'll see I did manage to squeeze in quite a bit. I really wanted to spend more time with other people's setups but found myself thinking more about settling everyone in and making sure everyone was comfortable. I only got a minute with the Zana Deux, I'm craving more, oh and SPL's Phonitor... I really wanted to try the crossover but didn't get around to either of the two present at the meet. I missed most of the Grado action as well, did the RS1i make an appearance? Anyway, enough of my regrets... Onto the impressions.

Probably the headphone I liked the most at this meet was the W1000x, it just goes so well with acoustic music and is actually my new favorite headphone for the genre... I'd love to have a pair but can't justify owning it... yet...
tongue_smile.gif

Beyerdynamic: I liked the T5p for rock but that was about it, there was something odd in the way they produced the sound. A harshness really. Considering I already have the LCD-2's they won't be making it into my stable any time soon.

The T1 was my favorite phone at the last meet but I have to say it didn't do much for me this time round, I couldn't find anything particularly special about them, sure all the music was there but they just didn't add anything particularly interesting or spectacular with the music. They have good energy and are pretty strong for rock but a little cold when it comes to acoustic and female vocals I find. That is not to say that it isn't a great phone, the T1 really is and I'd probably have one in my perfect-world setup just because of how nice they feel. Build quality on the T1 is my favorite of any headphone at the moment, they feel so solid and comfortable, when you hold one you know it stands up to that "German-made" legacy.

I missed the DT990 but did get a short listen with the DT880. The DT880 is a great phone for the price, I could see myself enjoying a pair of these and being very happy with them, if ever I decide to downgrade, I think it will be to the DT880. Nice and neutral, comfortable and good tone.

DT1350, a pretty big let down for me, Josh mentioned it was hard to pair with an amp but I even tried it with the one he recommended and just thought it wasn't up to scratch. It looks great, that's for sure but I'm not a fan of the on-ear type.

Audio-Technica: I only heard the W5000 and W1000x and have to say that the W1000x is a beautiful headphone. I believe Wang said that it made everything sound "Furry" or "Fuzzy" but in a good way and I have to agree. It has a strange ability to portray the music in a wonderful fashion, while it is a better all-rounder than the W5000 I didn't feel it was terribly good for rock, the tone sounded a bit off to me and was definitely not up to the standard of the LCD-2 in that department, however, a truly wonderful headphone, my new favourite for acoustic and folk... Angus and Julia Stone have never sounded better.

I was introduced to the W5000 the night before when Cornelius from Addicted to Audio presented them to me. The guys at Addicted to Audio are always getting into Cornelius about his love for the W5000 but I have to say that I'm on Cornelius' side for this one. Listening to the W5000 from the Sugden HA-4 gave me my first big grin of the meet, it sounded wonderful for classical, sparkly in the top end and there was just something magical about them. They reminded my a bit of my K701 sonically as they are a tad bass light but are on a whole new level of detail, imaging and clarity. Tone is also incredibly good.

Ultrasone: So let's start off with the PRO900, I hated them at the last meet but at this meet I actually sat down and had a good listen to them for 10 odd minutes. I've decided that along with the W1000x, in a perfect world the PRO900 would have to be within reach. They sound great for electronic music, the bass goes low, has good texture but lacks a little impact to be perfect in my opinion...

Onto the editions. I didn't spend much time with the ED8, they'd be a great little portable can, nice and compact, solid, great sound when on the run but they don't isolate all that well, at least not as well as I'd like. Their sound is pretty V shaped but I wasn't grabbed by them, again, nothing particularly special about the sound they portrayed, I think I would actually go for the PRO900 over them...

The Edition 10 was interesting. Out of my own setup, they didn't interest me but that was because I've only got the NuForce HDP, it just doesn't do these cans justice. I spent a fair bit of time over at A2A's table with their Sugden setup and this was where I got the greatest impression. Playing some of my own CD's I began to realise that they were actually holding the ED10s back. The ED10s produced the music, specifically guitar strums, in a very unique and interesting way, everything just sounded so separate. The combo was producing some really top notch sound, I had too look over my shoulder a couple of times before realizing someone wasn't actually playing speakers and that it was indeed coming from the Edition 10's. The highs and the mids were quite special but I found the bass to lack the same energy as the rest of the spectrum, however, still a very good can... Deserving of it's price..? I wouldn't think so but most certainly worth more than the ED8's.

Sennheiser: The HE60! Thanks Jate for bringing this incredible can with you, I really loved your setup. I can't be sure whether it was the source or the HE60's but it sounded wonderfully real. Drums sounded so natural and crisp, decay was spot on, I really can't think of any quibbles with them. I would love to have some more time with these beauties, they have given me back the respect I once had for Sennheiser. The only reason I haven't made these cans my new favorites is that I just haven't spent enough time with them, at least not with my own music to really gauge how they sound. I look forward to hearing them for longer and to the HE90's now!

HD800, again for me as at the last meet I couldn't get into these cans. They're very striking to look at and remarkably comfortable but the sound for me is a little lifeless. I preferred the T1 to them at the last meet because of the extra energy and I have to say that I still feel the same way. I've yet to hear them with classical and so perhaps they could still change my mind and make it into my perfect world dream but they won't be knocking off my LCD-2's any time soon.

HD650, eh, again this lifelessness. For slower music they weren't too bad but to be honest I threw some heavy metal at them as I knew this would be their weakness. I just wasn't impressed by them at all, I much more preferred the DT880. If I was going to take this step back I'd need a can that could work as an all-rounder. I listen to a lot of fast paced music and the HD650's just don't suit it,

HiFiMan: The HE-500 and HE-6 look lovely in person and feel top notch in your hands. I thought they would feel more flimsy but they are up there with the T1 and LCD-2 as far as in-hand-feel goes. The HE-500 sounds wonderful for it's price, some very serious competition for the LCD-2, I could be happy with either. The 500 is a lot more neutral than the LCD-2 and quite like the DT800 in the way it reproduces sound. Music has great energy and I didn't feel like anything was missing but I think I've been spoilt by the bass of the LCD-2's because if I had to choose, I'd stay with them, the HE-500 sounds great but personally I enjoy the little extra oomph that the LCD-2 provides down low.

I heard the HE-6 on Jaben's setup with the Eagles XRCD2. Such wonderful sound, not dissimilar to the 500 but with a little greater extension and clarity, however, if I was to buy the HE-6 I'd need to buy a speaker amp as well and that's really going to start jacking up price when you have to buy a whole new system to go with the headphone. I'd be happy with the 500 because of this, the sonic integrity isn't lost in this "downgrade", so well done HiFiMan for producing the HE-500, Fang has done a very good job and priced them extremely well I think.

STAX: Still not a fan of the ear-speaker type, I missed the AKG's K1000 again this meet but did listen to Yukari and Wang's setup. I decided again the music wasn't grabbing me in the same way that I found the HD800's lacking. Everything was there but I just couldn't get into it. Oh well... Hopes are still up for the O2 and SR-009.

So, headphones aside I'll briefly talk about a couple of Amps that I liked.

Sugden, where did these guys come from? I hadn't heard anything about them until I met Addicted to Audio but they've won me over pretty quickly. The HA-4 is incredibly good, I think I'll be making a few more trips back to the A2A store to have a listen with my LCD-2's and some better quality music.

The Violetric V200 is an extremely powerful amp. You can plug two LCD-2's into it and still not have the volume knob more than 9 o'clock! I heard it before when listening at Dave's house but didn't think it very special or particularly a step up from my HDP but listening again at the meet, with the Eagles XRCD I mentioned earlier, I noticed it really did a better job of powering the LCD-2s, the music sounded a little more lively, I'd like to listen a bit more extensively I think... Another one to check off at the A2A store
rolleyes.gif

Burson HA-160D. I got to listen to the 160D through my own setup with each of the flagships in attendance. It really is a lovely unit and whilst I'm back at the A2A store I'll be doing some intensive listening to the 160D I think. I've been considering it for a long time and is rightfully a nice step up over my current NuForce HDP, to what extent I've yet to decide but I did notice in the time I had at the meet that everything was better potrayed. Definition, clarity and resolution were all noticeably better.

So what have I decided from the meet? I need to get myself a good CD player and some better quality music, specifically I'll be buying that eagles disc and one other XRCD from referencediscs.com.au. I really want the Burson HA-160D but I need to spend more time with it, I've decided my NuForce HDP isn't doing the LCD-2 justice and the Sugden really broke me, the upgrade-bug has hit hard.

As a last note, I'm selling my AKG K701 to fund the above ventures, if anyones interested please feel free to send me a message and we can arrange an audition. I'll leave the offer open to meet attendees for a week before I advertise on the For Sale forums, price is currently $200, it's in perfect condition both physically and sonically.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 73
I can't believe that "teacher" that signed up on head-fi with a W5000 and Traformatic a couple months ago that posted politely about Esperanza Spalding and her double-bass turned out to be a guy I've "known" for years playing videogames against in seedy arcades completely unrelated to audio.

and on that note, my A2000X kicks your W5000 ass, Cornelius.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 73
I would like to thank everybody for making this meet happened.

This was the biggest & the best headphone meeting so far !!! (don't forget this is my 2nd attending
tongue_smile.gif
)

I wish i could stay longer and try many more gears...anyway,

My favourite headphone was HD800 - The build quaility is superb and far better than my HE60
I quite liked SPL Phonitor & HD580 Jubilee Set up - they sound really clean and accurate. 
I also really wanted to listen to The Zana Deux/HD800 and Dave's LCD2 set up...perhaps next time!!!

The most dissappointed award went to... ED10 (IMO it should be better than that in everyway, the only thing i like is it's Y-shaped headphone stand)

last but not least, the most surprising piece was my Audio GD NFB-11.  (not sure, did anybody try it?? ) 
To be honest, I've never been liking it at home. however, when comparing with other Headphone amp+DAC at the meeting, it is not bad at all considering it's price tag.

I am looking forward to the next meeting and hope it would be SUNDAY !!
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #23 of 73
thanks will for organising the meet and thanks to jaben, addicted to audio and UM for coming to the show.

really interesting feedback guys. I really really liked the Ed10s, same as my gf. Cornellius did say that ultrasones do polarise people either one way or another. I listened to both the Jaben setup (HA-A2 I think it was) and the three amps that Addicted to Audio had for the two Ed 10s. I thought they sounded spectacular on 3 of the 4 amps (Didn't like it on the Sudgen) and George did say that you have to play around with how they sit to get the best out of them. I thought they were "ok" at first, with some sibilance at the higher frequencies, but when I pushed them back a bit.. wow.. that is all. The HD800s were high on my list of headphones to listen to. I have some HD600s and I wanted to know what the difference was (and all the places in Japan have them in glass boxes, so you can't try them on). I listened to them after the Ed 10s and I think had I listened to them in reverse order, I would have been impressed, but they just sounded less lively and less engaging than the Ed10s. Also soundspace seemed to be more restricted with the music coming at you, rather than around you (which I assume is from the S logic technology, but I know HD800s also have a decentralised driver). I was also interested in listening to the Hifiman headphones, and the LCD2, but I have to say that after spending some time with the Ed 10s, they set a new benchmark for me. Now I have to save some pennies I think!

In defense of the DT1350s (since I own a pair), they also gain immensely from some playing around with fit. When I was trying on headphones in Japan a few months ago (where I got the DT1350s), I was first leaning towards the HD25 II cause they sounded great straight off the bat, but after trying the various headphones on at various different places (the other I was looking at was the B&W P5), I found that the DT1350s sounded better when pushed back a bit too.. in my ears, better than the HD25 II (which in comparison just sounded boomy and not really as "clear". Anyway, just my 2 cents should you decide to give the DT1350s another go. I also have the eq on my player pushed towards the bass a little.

It was also nice to hear the STAX on some better amps. I had a listen to them in Japan but only on the smaller ones (think the model is 325). I had a listen to the 007s up there too which sounded just average. Could be the source or the amplification, but the 407 and 404s sounded pretty good (i was actually considering buying the 407s before).

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #28 of 73

Quote:
its the fischer audio FA-003s. A few ppl tried them (i made them try them actually XD) some thought they were good some thought they were so-so. What did u think of them?

I thought they were pretty good, definitely sparked an interest with them, it would be good to do a bit of a price range comparison with a couple of different phones, I did need a bit more time with them though - as with all the headphones I tried on the day. Hopefully they will pop up at another meet in the near future.

Im really disappointed that I couldn't stay for longer, reading Will's lengthy post of the headphones he tried is making me jealous.. So whens the next meet? Sydney or Melbourne I don't care..
tongue_smile.gif

Guy

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #29 of 73

I'd like to organize an IEM meet in the city library every now and then if people are interested, it's easy to bring IEM's along and a nice place to listen to music.

There's plenty of room and tables in the area upstairs where people play chess for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back