Meizu M4 SP - Surprisingly nice SQ?
Feb 13, 2010 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Glitched

Head-Fier
So the Dane-Electric Meizu M4 8gb was my first mp3 player. I coupled it with the cx300 and I was actually pretty happy with the setup for awhile. 2 years later it was misplaced and lost for over 3 months, so I thought now was my time to finally get an Itouch 3g, which I assumed would sound better than that old budget player. It only took a month with the touch until I thought I needed better earbuds - the sound wasn't all that, maybe more refined but flatter and less engaging.

So I recently picked up the TF10 and hooked it to the Itouch 3g. Things sounded much more refined and better overall, but around the same time I found the old Meizu. I have it playing now, and after a few tweaks in eq, I realized now why I was satisfied with the cx300 -> meizu m4 for so long. While the instrument separation/clarity isn't quite good as on the itouch, the EQing makes the music sound a little more engaging. The bass especially is MUCH punchier and more audible without overtaking the mids, especially the lower 20-100hz that was very hard to hear well on the touch in comparison. Bass boost eq on the touch just makes it sound bloated. I've probably grown into a basshead having only owned the senn cx300 and hd212pro before these tf10's ..

My settings:
Spatialzier -> on
spatializer mode -> virtual3d
virtual 3d -> 0
Phase corrected equalizer -> 6/9
virtual bass enhancement -> 4/9
bass boost -> 2/15
treble boost -> 2/3

PCE makes the great difference seconded to virtual3d. I'm guessing these are all software adjustments but it adds a lot of life to the music! Thoughts/comments/insights?
549491.jpg

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 19
all us meizu fans are waiting for another player from this company. sadly the focus has been on the phone spectrum. the m6sl, sp is a wonderful little player with easy and efficient sound quality enhancements that really work wonders. i've had mine for more than two years and only had to do a hard reset twice. consider that i use this player daily and i've worn a groove into the touch pad it sounds as good as when i first got it. limited by 8gb of flash and video that's 20fps still very useful. the D2 that i bought is so complex with so many features it's a little refreshing to use the simple menus of the m6.

i see so little of this skinnable/flac capable player i couldn't resist posting. nice one glitched!

i run my meizu almost flat, Spatialzier on. mode normal, phase corrected 1, vibe 1. the ten band eq is user and depends on the headphone i use

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean the meizu m6, there is no m4.

I think,they called M4 the model for US market without FM,sold by Dane.
I still have it and it serves me well.Untill SansaClip - my MeizuM6 was the only
player,which I could stick in my shirts pocket and enjoy music on hot,sunny day.
Perfect form - in my opinion,true credit card size,very thin,big display - because
its touch pad takes small area and!!: it can be operated "blind".SQ is very good;sometime ago there was even phenomena called - "Meizu Cult"!You can still buy it easy,if you want - I can tell you where(pm).In my opinion - M6 doesnt need any improvements,they can keep it on market for loong time.
There is one glitch difficult to conquere,but I can live with it.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 19
Meizu have a very decent EQ system which is probably one of the best in the portable industry. It does have problems clipping later on, but it makes the player worthwhile. Mine, however, didn't last 6 months before dying with a bright screen which never turned off.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 19
Hi everyone here, really how good is the SQ of these Meizu players eg the MP4? Also does this player have expandable flash memory such as the Sansa Fuze, Clip+ or is it fixed flash memory. Also whats the batt life like?

BTW do these players use a Wolfson DAC ?

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone here, really how good is the SQ of these Meizu players eg the MP4? Also does this player have expandable flash memory such as the Sansa Fuze, Clip+ or is it fixed flash memory. Also whats the batt life like?

BTW do these players use a Wolfson DAC ?

no memory slot,battlife - 20 hrs,wolfson is in M6SL;you can fiddle with sound settings a lot; playing "sound engineer"!It is quite old model - 2007/2008
they made:M6,M6SL,M3
in US you can find it cheap sometimes,cause its distro there end this line and
they were clearing stock(Dane Electric or so).In China ,Singapore or HK you can buy it in shops or on-line.SQ is super,this is the reason this player had got fame.Output is very strong and you do not need any external amp.
Controls is through touch pad in the form of long cross - you can use it "blind".
Very elegant design - true credit card size.As true China production - M6 had some unresolved quirks,one left after 3 yrs.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 19
the one and only problem is the occasional stutter... it seems to be most noticable with vbr when the chipset changes rates. solution is stop/back/restart file. the m6sp is the thicker of the two players, the sl being quite thin. output on the player is near enough do drive my sennheiser 545s; an older model, to the threshhold of pain before clipping.
if you find for the right price, i'd say get it.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the one and only problem is the occasional stutter... it seems to be most noticable with vbr when the chipset changes rates. solution is stop/back/restart file. the m6sp is the thicker of the two players, the sl being quite thin. output on the player is near enough do drive my sennheiser 545s; an older model, to the threshhold of pain before clipping.
if you find for the right price, i'd say get it.

I remember,that stutter happened in mp3 files,which did not have silence
at the end;

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 19
About the first post I got same thoughts with Cowon. Now I haven't played so much yet with the custom EQ inside my S9, just whatever I choose of the present ones I never reach an punchy and nice bass as my M6SP. It doesn't say by any means that the S9 is a bad sounding player. I find Cowon's advantage by the mids been more refined.
I'm not a bass head but I would say the M6 gives me still more fun factor. Go Meizu!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is sad that Meizu cancelled the release of Meizu M7

agreed. I would really really like to see this one coming out. No one says it's a completely canceled project. What I know of, the development is currently suspended. The time where they went focused on smartphone they had barely people work on supporting M6 any longer. I believe they doesn't have the resources yet to hold on both worlds. But who knows. Someday they might choose to go back to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people said the SL version reduce the hiss, maybe u need to upgrade from SP to SL

I can confirm that SL hiss much lesser than the old one, I hear almost no hiss.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayajin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the first post I got same thoughts with Cowon. Now I haven't played so much yet with the custom EQ inside my S9, just whatever I choose of the present ones I never reach an punchy and nice bass as my M6SP. It doesn't say by any means that the S9 is a bad sounding player. I find Cowon's advantage by the mids been more refined.
I'm not a bass head but I would say the M6 gives me still more fun factor. Go Meizu!

I think you should play with EQ Filter a bit. There's option to set band 1 bandwidth to normal or narrow. I think default is wide, so it's less punchy, but gives a bigger soundstage.

I haven't heard any Meizu player, but M6 SL looks really interesting. I bought Cowon D2+ recently because I'm an EQ freak. Now, when I see Meizu with 10 band EQ, I'm a bit sad 'cause I haven't had a chance to use it.

How does Meizu's EQ compare to Cowon D2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back