MEIZU HD 50
Nov 7, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #123 of 141
Still using these to this day. One of the most underrated headphones.
I agree.... I really love the sound of these. I changed the cable n sound has further improved in mids n highs. Sounds slightly more detailed to my ears. I just don't feel like complaining about the sound when I'm listening to them. One of the most musical headphones around n still not popular enough.
I would complain about only one thing n that's EARPADS. Till date I haven't found any replacement for pads either on Gearbest or on their official website. My EARPADS are worn off n they look ugly now.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #124 of 141
The pair Is definitely a looker. But my ear pads too have worn out. The leather came off and I, on a desperate measure to make them look cooler and simpler, tried to get rid of the side leather altogether, leading to ear pad on the right coming off. I dug deeper and took off the right labelled cloth from the earpads. To my surprise, the decision made the headphones sound a little clearer and less bassy. But now my headphones look shoddy af.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #128 of 141
i looking for earpads replacement cuz mine are completely destroyed after 6 month usage, also they don't  "smell pretty" 

i think diameter is about 70mm-75mm

i'm trying to find something decent on aliexpress, anyone can help with this issue?

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #129 of 141
this one https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-75MM-High-quality-soft-leather-ear-cushion-ear-pads-for-K518-K518DJ-K81/32453884718.html?spm=2114.14010208.99999999.297.acCuMF

look identical 

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #130 of 141
Greetings fellow HD50 lovers.

I just finished up a pad mod for my HD50, and I know a number of you have worn out pads and have been waiting for some replacement help.

So basically there's 2 options for replacements:

1. Replace the stock round pads with new round pads (your basic pad swap). Just order 68-70mm round pads from ebay, aliexpress, etc. Keep an eye on the pad thickness, as the sound can change with thicker or thinner pads (the stock pads are ~15mm thick). A lot of generic replacement pads are thin as a pancake. Remove your stock pads by twisting COUNTER clockwise. Once the stock pads are off, gently peel the edge of the stock pads from the plastic ring. Keep working all of the way around until the stock pad is totally free, and remove the pad from the plastic ring. Reverse the procedure to install the new pads (it's not necessary to glue the new pads to the plastic rings unless you want the stock 'tucked' look to the new pads). If you do decide to glue the edges of the new pads, a few drops of super glue gel on the plastic ring to glue the edges of the new pad to the ring is all that's needed. If you choose to forgo the glue, the pad will just be held on by friction and will work fine. I borrowed a 70mm pad from another headphone to test the fit, & it worked out just fine with no glue needed. YMMV.

Also, it's up to you if you want to keep the stock L&R printed fabric covers. Some replacement earpads come with their own fabric cover, and some don't. My recommendation would be to only choose ONE layer of fabric. So if your new pads DON'T come with a fabric cover, keep the stock L&R fabric covers. If your new pads DO come with a fabric cover, it's up to you which one you want to use (either remove the stock L&R covers and use the ones on the new pads, or remove the ones from the new pads and keep the stock L&R covers).

Total project time = 10 mins
Difficulty Scale = 1.5/10
Tools required = superglue gel (optional)

Here's a few photos to better illustrate how to remove the stock pads from the plastic rings:

==================================================================================

2. Option #2 is a conversion from on-ear pads to over-ear pads. The stock pads are actually pretty comfortable for an on-ear headphone, but I much prefer over-ear pads. The stock pads would shift around during wearing sessions, and would require readjustment to stay sealed & provide best sound. It was getting annoying.

I like the optional over-ear pads that come with the Xiaomi Hifi headphones, and the feedback on how the larger pads changes the sound vs the stock on-ear pads was promising. The HD50 and the Xiaomi are somewhat similar, so I knew making a DIY setup would pay off:

For the HD50 over-ear pad mod, we need to obtain a pair of generic Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless earpads from ebay or aliexpress ($6-$8). They come in a variety of colors in case you want a flashier or customized look (I stuck with black). The other nice thing about this option is even if you have the white or red HD50, you'll have no problem finding color-matched pads:

Remove the stock pads as outlined in #1 above, but do NOT remove the L&R fabric covers from the plastic rings. You'll be left with this:

Next take the new earpads, peel off the white 3M backing (as seen in the photo of red earpads), scrape/rub off the double-sided adhesive off with your fingers. You'll be left with just a plain black plastic ring (black earpad photo):

<-3M     Adhesive removed ->

Now remove the foam/fabric centers from the new earpads, and scrape/rub off the adhesive residue with your fingers or a flathead scredriver. You'll be left with this:

If you lay the plastic ring on the back of the earpad, you'll see that it's very close to fitting perfectly:

Uh-oh, there's a gap due to the plastic ring sits on top of the Beats pad:

Let's fix that by cutting a 55mm circle out of paper. Then lay it on the Beats earpad (in the center) and trace around the paper with a pencil. Now take a Dremel tool w/cutting disc (or aircraft tin snips) and trim away the plastic. Keep trimming until the 55mm circle of paper sits down INSIDE of your cuts like this:

Your cuts don't have to be cosmetically perfect, because the cut edges will be covered up by the plastic ring and will look fine. Just be careful not to cut or damage the protein leather pad material.

Now test fit the plastic ring. If you did it properly, the plastic ring will now sit flush against the earpad vs having a gap (if not, go back and trim away more material until it fits flush):

<--Before (gap)     After (no gap)-->

Now take the plastic rings, and install them back onto the headphones (so that the L&R is pointed up). Then lay the new Beats earpads on so that they're properly vertically oriented, and mark both the ring and earpad with a pencil. This way, when you glue the pads onto the ring you'll know how to orient the pads so they are straight and not crooked.

Remove the rings from the headphones. Line up the earpads and rings using the pencil marks you just made. Then use superglue gel, 2-part epoxy, or hot glue to glue the ring down to the Beats earpad (put a bead of adhesive all the way around the plastic ring). I used 2-part epoxy made specifically for plastic, but the other adhesives listed should work fine. Wipe away any excess adhesive that gooped out of the cracks, then lay a book (or something of similar weight like a scrap of 2x4) on the top of the plastic ring so it has pressure on it until the glue is completely dry.

Once it's TOTALLY DRY, this is what you're left with:

GENTLY reinstall the pads back onto your headphones (MAKE SURE THE GLUE IS 100% DRY), and you're all done:

Total project time for over-ear pads = 1hr
Difficulty Scale = 4/10
Tools required = Dremel or aircraft tin snips, pencil, adhesive (superglue gel, 2-part epoxy, or hot glue)

The over-ear pads are soooo comfortable - like pillows on your head. The sound with the new over-ear pads is great. The bombastic bass is toned down slightly due to the larger pads, and the soundstage is wider. The headphone is a little more towards the neutral side now (still has punchy bass; it's just not overly boosted like it was previously). This is how Meizu should have done this from the get go. The combination of comfort level and sound improvement is definitely an upgrade from the stock pads. The headphones are still very compact with the over-ear pads - you can still fold them up (but you won't be able to put them in the stock Meizu case), and you can also wear them around your neck when out and about.

Like most over-ear pads, they're slightly warmer vs the stock on-ear pads (because you're now basically wearing ear warmers around your ears). I've also taken the new over-ear pads on and of 5-6 times for the photos and had zero issues with the glue. You just have to use your brain and be gentle when loosening or tightening the locking tabs - don't twist it with gorilla strength and you'll be fine.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to clarify/help.

- Slater

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #131 of 141
Hello, 
If you are searching for ready to use replacements for earpads take a look at Sennheiser HD25 pads they would fit perfect.

After 2 years of heavily using those headphones my left speaker has been broken. I have checked connections by connecting right speaker and it was ok. 
I tried to do something like that man on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAQR9zzjLyQ . I don't speak russian i'm not so good with repairing electronics neither so i screw it up.
After time of consideration i decided to buy those headphones once again cause i have almost 100% of spare parts ;]

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #132 of 141
Great info. I just checked & the Sennheiser HD25 pads are 68mm, so yeah they are a great option.

Glad you finally got new pads.

On the left driver that went bad - a number of people reported volume issues in the left side. Interestingly, your left side went bad. Sounds to me like there was definitely some sort of defect with the left driver in the HD50. Maybe the manufacturing process put a lot of stress on the left side.

Anyways, as with you I like the HD50 so much I own multiple pairs. So if my left driver fails down the road I'll replace the drivers or just get out a brand new pair from my backup stockpile 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back