Meier Corda Poweramp-1: Anyone with experience or opinions on these amps?
May 18, 2006 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15
Anyone ever heard these power amps? I've yet to see any impressions on these, and they look mightly tasty for the price. Good specs, looks like nice build quality & parts, enough power to drive most speakers, and rated to drive 1.5 Ohm loads! Very affordably priced at just over $1K for a pair of monoblocks.

Got some Tyler Acoustics Linbrook sig monitors on the way, to join my Taylo ref monitors and Tannoy Eyris DC3. Currently using a PS Audio HCA2 stereo amp ($1700 MSRP, ~ $750 used) - and it's a great sounding amp - but wondering what it'll take to do better. Would love to know whether these Meier amps could compete with or beat the HCA2. On the more expensive side, I'm also interested in the Parasound Halo A21, Monarchy SE100 monoblocks, PrimaLuna monoblocks, the BAT VK60 (used), or perhaps a Pass Labs amp. Of course the Meier amps have the added appeal of being from Dr. Meier, one of the biggest good guys in the headphone business! I don't want anything more dry or analytical than the HCA2 - not that it's dry, but if anything I'd want to move in the direction of warmer, liquid sound. Opinions appreciated.

May 18, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 15
Hmm, nothing on the Meier amps, eh? Wonder how many of these have sold; unfortunately it seems that nobody here's tried them.

OK, any opinions on how the Monarchy SE100 monoblocks would fare against a HCA2? Also, IIRC the SE100's have a 100K input impedance; same as the HCA2. Don't know the gain values, though. Anyone know whether the SE100 and HCA2 could be used in a biamp configuration?

May 18, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 15
I am also looking at new amping lately. On my shortlist are a Sugden A21 SE, Lavardin IS or IT, Lyngdorf (split off TacT Audio) SDA2175 or maybe even a Portal Panache for annihilating the need for a dedicated headphone amp. For more power, Portal's also offering 2.5k monoblocks (and you know what's been said about the designer behind these fine amps....
eek.gif
).

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by klenkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound great, clean and fast.....40W, I don't miss my Primare a 30.1 at all.
buy them U won't regrett it.
dd

I'm curious about these Meier power amps. This comment above is the only impression I could find on the entire internet. Has anybody else in the world heard these?

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 15
It would be nice to have some. I have also been looking at them for some time as long as I have Corda Prehead, which I use for my headphones and I was thinking to develop an integrated home headphone/speaker rig. There are specs on Meier Audio's site but as we all know it is not fun to listen to specs.

At least look-wise I think they will fit to my Prehead as long as it seems they are using the same housing.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by klenkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speak-on plugs! They sound great...you can´t play loud though!
cheers dd

Well, I'd rather like them to play right.

What is the story with this speak-on plug, though? I read something about it in another thread, but I really could not get the idea of regulatory restraints of amp outputs?!? I've never seen a home amp with this type of speaker output before, neither have I seen a hi-fi speaker cable terminated with these. In fact I don't even know what they look like.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 15
40 watts doesn't mean much without taking into account the sensitivity of your speakers. You will likely have plenty of volume if your speakers have a ~90db (or above) sensitivity. Most speakers are mid 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back