MEIER CORDA CANTATE OVERKILL FOR DDT770 (80 OHM) DARTH BEYERS?
Aug 3, 2007 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

San7a

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking to get an digital-analog/amplifier for my Darth Beyers that are coming in. I was looking at the Corda Cantate DAC/AMP... But I was wondering if that was overkill for my 80 ohms Darth. I read in another thread that the Darth Beyers will actually sound worse with a nicer amp, and I'm worried this might be the case.

I don't want anything portable (I have another amp for that), and I need something permanent for my desktop setting where I work.

Speak to me, oh wise ones!

plainface.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 16
I am listening to a Corda Opera now. I do not think the Cantate will be overkill in terms of quality at all.

Aug 4, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second hand information, but Skylab is a big fan of Darth Beyers and he speaks very highly of the Beyer/Opera pairing (flagship Corda product). So I wouldn't think the Cantate would be overkill.

Yeppers, I love the Opera with Darth Beyers, so the Cantate should be great. Not overkill.

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fail to understand what overkill means in this thread. Too much power? Too much quality ?????

Just trying to get things straight in my head before I drop more money. Forgive me.

Question has been answered. Thanks guys.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Opera is amazing, so I doubt you can go wrong with the Cantate.

Isn't the Cantate made after the Opera? The only thing that seemed different was that the Cantate only had one headphone jack & volume knob while the Opera had two? Is there a HUGE sound difference between them? It seems like no one owns a Cantate...
blink.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking forward to your views on the Cantate, it looks quite promising, although I'm not all that optimistic about the PCM2702

blink.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 16
Nothing is overkill on this forum. Ever. Singlepower SS-2 for a KSC-75 is the way to go
very_evil_smiley.gif
(Someone test the limits of Mikhail's design skills please...and mental health).

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 16
San7a, I was referring to the DAC section of the Cantate. I am certain that the balanced ground amp section of the Cantate would ape the Opera, but I dont think the DAC section would be able to match say the EMU0404 or the likes...

Just my two cents...

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 16
Well, I shot Jan an email... And I'm on the reservation list now. He says the first shipment of the Cantates should go out on Monday (That is if everything goes as planned). I would love to be able to tell you my impressions, but I'm afraid they will all be aesthetic because I just got my headphone order in yesterday... And the wait will be atleast 2 months.

frown.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am listening to a Corda Opera now. I do not think the Cantate will be overkill in terms of quality at all.

All this talk about the Corda Opera has got my wallet sweating ! Still saving feverishly for the Opera.........

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by San7a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I shot Jan an email... And I'm on the reservation list now. He says the first shipment of the Cantates should go out on Monday (That is if everything goes as planned). I would love to be able to tell you my impressions, but I'm afraid they will all be aesthetic because I just got my headphone order in yesterday... And the wait will be atleast 2 months.

frown.gif

I feel for you brother. If you get the amp first maybe pick up some stock 770s to tide you over until the MF Darths get to you? They are easy to sell later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back