Meier Audio Porta Corda MkII Group Buys (One for U.S., One for Europe)
Dec 31, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #468 of 470
Hi Clemens,

Thanks for the info on using a cellphone PSU with PC MKII. I have been contemplating on purchasing a good PSU, but now, I would like to try using a PSU that lying around my house first.

I just do not understand this notion that if it is mentioned by others it is better to have a good regulated PSU, it means that a regular PSU produces bad sounds.

Thanks for sharing your experience Clemens, I really appreciate your real experience input.

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #469 of 470
First of all, Happy new year!

If you're just after good sound for little money (not perfect, and not like it could be achieved eiither), I wouldn't go listening to hifists nor electricians. Just try with whatever psu you got what it sounds like. As long as you make sure the voltage doesn't go over the mentioned 24v. Tip: one way to make a poor man's "regulated" powersupply is to add some resistors in parallel to the psu dropping the voltage to acceptable levels and reducing fluctuations. The voltage shouldn't fluctuate more than 1% on a proper psu which *should* be hardly noticable when listening.

As for switching powersupplies and sin and tan noise patterns, .. It's as simple as noticing they are there, and if it bothers you, get a better psu. Other than the additional noise, it shouldn't affect the sound quality. Once again *shouldn't*, like most things in hifi world, things are very "iffy".

Well it's around 8am here and I've yet to get any sleep, and to be quite frank, getting up from this chair won't be as easy as typing with keyboard either.
I suppose it's around midnight in the us, so have a smashing time and happy new year!

Jan 1, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #470 of 470
12:20 here - So a little late - BUT - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back