Meier audio corda 2stepdance, Is it a good synergy with the HD600 and UM3X?
Jan 12, 2012 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

calist3r

Head-Fier
I'm currently using the ALO RX to amp both the UM3X AND the HD600 but I need something with a proper volume adjustment so that I can determine what sound level I'm at.

I'm considering the 2Stepdance as a replacement for my 1 and a half year old RX and I'm expecting it to have an appreciable difference over the ALO RX. Will I be disappointed?

Coming form the ALO RX, what kind of sonic changes can I expect? What will I get and what will I lose? Will it go well with my HD600 and UM3X? Is it a solid upgrade?

Keep in mind that I'm going to use it both as a portable rig and a desktop amp using the line out from the Xonar, so those "proper" amps are out of the question.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 4
The thing that lets the 2Stepdance down IMHO is it's maximum gain of 14dB. (I'm going from memory here - the site is down at the moment). If your portable device has a typical 0.5V RMS output, that will produce a max SPL of about 110dB, which is pretty loud, but I have read that sometimes a higher maximum is ideal (say, 115dB).  If you were ever to get harder to drive headphones, the gain would not allow you to exploit the high output drive of the 2Stepdance when using portable devices. They should give the 2Stepdance a third gain setting IMHO.

Greg.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, I only use the HD600 at home anyways. I'm planning on using the Stepdance with the UM3X for portable and with the Xonar as DAC + HD600 for home use. Shouldn't be a problem, correct?

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Ah ok - agreed in that case. (however I have no experience with the 2Stepdance or the UM3X - I can't say for sure how they will sound together, but there should be absolutely no problems with volume level, going by the specs)

Greg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back